Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2016, 01:01 PM   #1

SiriusXM Install

Anyone add the Sirius Antenna to there FR3? Wandering where you installed the antenna.

Thanks
linchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:50 PM   #2
Retired guy

Mine just sits on the leading edge of the dash next to the wind shield. Works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Big Dog 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:47 PM   #3

Didn't bother hooking up , used Bluetooth from phone.
Edmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:01 PM   #4

Well I hooked it up today, simple install. Underneath the dash is a metal support beam, I just placed it there (since the antenna is magnetic) and so far works fine. Did not have to run any wires. Will see how it works on a trip.

The bluetooth is good for recorded music, books & internet radio until your in an area without cell reception then will loose internet radio.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:06 PM   #5

We haven't had much luck with ours. We first ran the wire up the side and put it on the metal bar by the front shade after it not working on the dash. Didn't work well going various directions or when up to speed on the highway. I took it to a radio installer and he ran the wire up above the bunk and through a slot so it was above the insulation and near the fiberglass shell. Still running into the same issues and getting frustrated. I have a call into the dealer to see what they suggest. May have to get it drilled through or run with tv antenna wires or something.
AussieK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieK9 View Post
We haven't had much luck with ours. We first ran the wire up the side and put it on the metal bar by the front shade after it not working on the dash. Didn't work well going various directions or when up to speed on the highway. I took it to a radio installer and he ran the wire up above the bunk and through a slot so it was above the insulation and near the fiberglass shell. Still running into the same issues and getting frustrated. I have a call into the dealer to see what they suggest. May have to get it drilled through or run with tv antenna wires or something.
Well since my last post, I should have reposted, but, my original solution was fine if stationary in the open (not good if traveling - kept losing signal). I rerouted under the driver side, up along the side intrument panel (autolevel control area) and onto the dashboard at directly in front of the windshield (I was able to hide the wire in all the creases). And it works great there.

Actually it works better then my F150 which came factory installed with sirius.

I think having it installed upside down is going to be a big problem. Do as Big Dog and I have done, route it over to your windshield on top of the dashboard, it will work fine.

I know it should work through fiberglass, but it definately deadens reception. Put it on top of your rv or on the dashboard, it will work fine.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by linchat View Post
Well since my last post, I should have reposted, but, my original solution was fine if stationary in the open (not good if traveling - kept losing signal). I rerouted under the driver side, up along the side intrument panel (autolevel control area) and onto the dashboard at directly in front of the windshield (I was able to hide the wire in all the creases). And it works great there.

Actually it works better then my F150 which came factory installed with sirius.

I think having it installed upside down is going to be a big problem. Do as Big Dog and I have done, route it over to your windshield on top of the dashboard, it will work fine.

I know it should work through fiberglass, but it definately deadens reception. Put it on top of your rv or on the dashboard, it will work fine.
Thanks, we did try our dash first (in several spots) didn't work any better, and it has been trying different spots since then. I did read where someone used a 4x6" piece of metal under it, so may add that to try next.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks, we did try our dash first (in several spots) didn't work any better, and it has been trying different spots since then. I did read where someone used a 4x6" piece of metal under it, so may add that to try next.
Read somewhere else (you will need 10' extention cable for this), someone ran from the stereo next to the passenger seat. Next to the passenger seat should be a wiring cover area that will lead to your awning wiring. So that person went from the radio, to passenger seat, up the awning wiring gutter, to the roof and siliconed it to the roof.

And I am curious myself, how my installation will do when I am running in different directions and at various speeds. I have not taken it on long trip yet, just 10 miles back and forth from my home and back to the storage place. But has worked fine, maybe 1 cutout in heavy tree coverage, but my f150 definately does and more often..
Old 05-28-2016, 11:08 AM   #9

Will talk to the dealer to see where those wires run, thanks!
Old 05-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #10

We paid to have ours installed in our Coachmen Leperchaun CB230. He routed the wire up through the vent above the bunk over the cab. He hid the wires quite well and the "magnetic" antenna is attached to the roof. All I know is it worked extremely well, it didn't cost us very much to get it done. However, in our part of the country it is quite noisy at 60-65mph and we don't use our coach enough to really justify the subscription costs. I wouldn't do it again.
Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
We paid to have ours installed in our Coachmen Leperchaun CB230. He routed the wire up through the vent above the bunk over the cab. He hid the wires quite well and the "magnetic" antenna is attached to the roof. All I know is it worked extremely well, it didn't cost us very much to get it done. However, in our part of the country it is quite noisy at 60-65mph and we don't use our coach enough to really justify the subscription costs. I wouldn't do it again.
Thanks Bob! I have yet to learn where the vents and pipes run to get wires through yet. We had extra speakers installed on each side of the engine cover so we have another facing each seat area to help with hearing the radio.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Read somewhere else (you will need 10' extention cable for this), someone ran from the stereo next to the passenger seat. Next to the passenger seat should be a wiring cover area that will lead to your awning wiring. So that person went from the radio, to passenger seat, up the awning wiring gutter, to the roof and siliconed it to the roof.
This is actually how we did ours and it hasn't had any issues. I actually cut one end of the 10' extension, fished it through the firewall seals over to the steps, up through the floor to that awning cover under the fire extinguisher. Out to the awning track, up to the roof and under the drip rail to the front cap. Then just silicon the antenna to the front cap. Just make sure when you solder up the XM wiring, the outer shield can't make contact with the inner wire. And the wires are really fine, like 24 gauge so be careful stripping the wires.
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasFR3 View Post
This is actually how we did ours and it hasn't had any issues. I actually cut one end of the 10' extension, fished it through the firewall seals over to the steps, up through the floor to that awning cover under the fire extinguisher. Out to the awning track, up to the roof and under the drip rail to the front cap. Then just silicon the antenna to the front cap. Just make sure when you solder up the XM wiring, the outer shield can't make contact with the inner wire. And the wires are really fine, like 24 gauge so be careful stripping the wires.
You all are much more handy than I am . Another person told me they ran theirs through the back engine cover and under the frame to the back ladder. I believe this is the correct wire and ends that I need for the extension, http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00DMFAOA...I224WDK4OMAGPB ?
Old 05-31-2016, 09:37 PM   #14

That's the one that I bought when I extended my setup. I ended up cutting one end off, but should be plug and play with your antenna from what I remember.

You might be able to go out the engine cover and over to the front cap joint. Just silicon the wiring up the to roof line along the back edge and you should be good. Good luck with whatever you come up with though and please share for the next guy/gal.
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:41 PM   #15

Quote:
That's the one that I bought when I extended my setup. I ended up cutting one end off, but should be plug and play with your antenna from what I remember.

You might be able to go out the engine cover and over to the front cap joint. Just silicon the wiring up the to roof line along the back edge and you should be good. Good luck with whatever you come up with though and please share for the next guy/gal.
Thanks much!! Sorry, hope this is the last question . What kind/type of silicone should I use for the side and the roof?
Old 05-31-2016, 11:26 PM   #16

Quote:

Maybe it was your post I read. Remembered thinking that is a really good idea. Decided to dedicate this idea to long term memory, in case my method fails.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Thanks much!! Sorry, hope this is the last question . What kind/type of silicone should I use for the side and the roof?
I would think anything exterior, same stuff you would use to silicone around your lights and so forth.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Anyone add the Sirius Antenna to there FR3? Wandering where you installed the antenna.

Thanks
I was wondering if your radio came with an Sirius xm radio modular. We couldn't get satellite radio until a $50 part was added to our radio. It has the words Pandora/Sirius xm on radio.
tgreen5170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:35 PM   #19

Very misleading.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgreen5170 View Post
Very misleading.
Two ways to add SiriusXM satellite radio to your car
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-C1txkt...-your-car.html