Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #1

Slide adjustment.

Has anyone had their cable's adjusted on their slides? I was talking with old RV mechanic at a non dealer shop he said he won't touch them and that they were a nightmare.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forest River Forums mobile app
StephanFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
Motoring

Maybe that's because the FR3 is pretty new... Why are you trying to adjust the slides? Just curious?
grotto69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:17 PM   #3

I didn't say I was. But if you follow the forum you read about several slides failing. So I downloaded the manual for the slides and it looked pretty difficult to work on and it alluded to improper cable tension as a cause. So I was looking at mine and one might be loose. Thought only st fully open. So I posed the question to a local RV mechanic with over 25 years of experience. He said he won't even work on them. And he said the cable ends tend to come off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forest River Forums mobile app
StephanFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:30 AM   #4

I just took my FR3 25 back to the dealer for a stuck bed slide out. It went in and out over a dozen times then barely made it in before it jammed. The service guy says this style has one motor that uses a bicycle chain to pull one set for in and another for out. The whole mother and gears are behind the cabinet over the bed so it is definitely not an easy do it yourself fix.
Enconcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:32 AM   #5

My 25DS is going in for the Bed Slide Problem...

We were 91 miles from home and got the bed slide halfway out. Would not move either way. Located the motor assembly after removing the panel in the cabinet over the bed. Make sure you have a stubby screwdriver with a square drive #2 bit. Had wife push button and motor turned, flexible shaft (looks like a speedometer cable, but about 3 inches), but no motion on the output shaft. That shaft has a pair of gears that "Bicycle Chains" connect to. They are very tight and have an adjustment on them. IF I followed the service manual and used the flexible shaft and a drill motor , it would not have worked because the gear box is "broken". The factory said to have the wife push the IN button and I should push on the slide to help the gearbox over a bad spot. Could be broken tooth in the gearbox. I did get it all the way back in and will have to go to the shop to change out the gearbox. Part is on order and should be able to fix this. Bed slides appear to be more of a problem than the front slide, from what I have read on the forum.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:36 AM   #6
Motoring

I recall a post last year explaining how to disengage the motor so the slide moves manually by pushing. I know I saw a you tube video on it and how to lock it for driving with a two by four
grotto69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #7

When the slides are in the cable appear to be loose (have some slack), when the slides are out the cables still appear to be loose. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this how they are supposed to be? Have some concern reading about people with slide problems.
Jean & Walt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide