Old 06-13-2017, 10:10 AM   #1

Slide motor maybe?

If a slide motor was going out, would it still work one way and not the other? Or would it just not work both ways? We have to physically push the slide out with our weight while holding down the switch, but it comes in on its own. Before I drop $200 on a new motor, I figuring I'd ask you fine folks first.
#slide #motor #FR3 #DS30

gomatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #2

I'd make sure its getting power/ground before going to buy another one. It most likely just swaps polarity from a relay by the switch. Maybe its the relay that is the issue instead.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #3
Just as confused as you

Or it could be the rocker switch. Maybe one of the wires came off.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:36 PM   #4
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Or it could be the rocker switch. Maybe one of the wires came off.

X2 on the switch. The actuators for slides are simple. Its just a dc motor. Hook up one way, it runs out. Hook it up the other way, it runs in. There are no limit switches or other things inside to worry about.

Your switch will be wired up something like this.

The 2 wires coming in to the middle terminals will not be the problem. If they were, it would not work at all. Most likely you either have a wire off on the 'outside' terminals, or a bad switch. They are easy to replace if it is.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:41 PM   #5

Oh dear. It's been SO long............but looking at your diagram, only two of those boxes have either + or 1 cable going to them. The other four have no power connection. What am I missing?

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Oh dear. It's been SO long............but looking at your diagram, only two of those boxes have either + or 1 cable going to them. The other four have no power connection. What am I missing?
The switch is a momentary DPDT with built in jumper strips or added wire jumpers. The motor and power wires could be reversed as a set and will still function the same. No other wires are needed due to the built in copper jumper strips or wire jumpers on the back side of the switch. The 2 center connections are the commons. When the switch is actuated in one direction the motor will run in one direction and when the switch is actuated in the opposite direction the motor will run in the opposite direction by reversing the voltage polarity (+12 volts and ground) to the motor. Has your memory been refreshed?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
X2 on the switch. The actuators for slides are simple. Its just a dc motor. Hook up one way, it runs out. Hook it up the other way, it runs in. There are no limit switches or other things inside to worry about.

Your switch will be wired up something like this.

The 2 wires coming in to the middle terminals will not be the problem. If they were, it would not work at all. Most likely you either have a wire off on the 'outside' terminals, or a bad switch. They are easy to replace if it is.

Tim
I'm not familiar with the system but if there was a relay involved it most likely would be a reversing solenoid (trombetta) and then the switch would be a dpdt type but only to route 12 volts to the one relay input or the other with battery volts through the relay to supply power for the motor in one direction or the other. What this boils down to is that only 3 wires would be connected to one side of the switch (12 volt common and 2 output wires to the relay to energize it one way or the other). This is the Lippert does it for some of their hydraulic slide motors. Maybe not important or useful info.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:16 AM   #8
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I'm not familiar with the system but if there was a relay involved it most likely would be a reversing solenoid (trombetta) and then the switch would be a dpdt type but only to route 12 volts to the one relay input or the other with battery volts through the relay to supply power for the motor in one direction or the other. What this boils down to is that only 3 wires would be connected to one side of the switch (12 volt common and 2 output wires to the relay to energize it one way or the other). This is the Lippert does it for some of their hydraulic slide motors. Maybe not important or useful info.
Usually there is no relay. The slide motors only take 10-15 amps at full load, and the switches are rated to handle it.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:40 AM   #9

Figured it out!

So I figured out the problem. I took off the facia above the bed to reveal the gearbox (BAL R25076 Slide Out Gear Box) and motor. Since it would slide in but not out, I figured it was a gear box issue. So I loosened the cables, removed the chains from the gear box, separated the motor and opened up the gearbox with a #3 Allen wrench.

I have pictures and video but haven't uploaded to YouTube yet. Bought a new gearbox from Dyers for $135 with shipping. Should have it backup and running in a few days.
gomatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:44 AM   #10
llr

The new Flagstaff classics​ have relays and a membrane switch control panel. If you have a mechanical switch the notes above would be correct.

Tags
slide