Old 09-21-2018, 09:14 AM   #1

Slideout Deterioration

My mechanic told me I should keep the underside of our slides clean to prevent any kind of stress on our slides going in and out. So... yesterday, I was cleaning the underside of the BR slide and noticed it has started to crack on 1 roller. It is only doing this on the BR slide and only on the 1 roller. To my untrained eye, it looks like too much weight is bearing down and something above it is separating.

I think it's too early to perform a warranty repair as the slide is still functioning.

Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-09-20 003.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	187153  

Old 09-21-2018, 09:17 AM   #2

Looks broken. I would do the warranty now or very soon.

OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:40 AM   #3

I agree, don't wait.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:47 AM   #4

My extended warranty on the slides has a $500 deductible... that's my hesitation at the moment. I'll take it into the RV mechanic and have him look at it... but thought I'd mention it here to see if others may have the same thing and any solutions/thoughts/etc.

Thanks for the replies so far!
Old 09-21-2018, 10:31 AM   #5

This may not be good advice, so please take it FWIW .
You could go to a metal shop and have them cut 1/16" 10" wide galvanized steel plates, epoxy them under the slide floor and secure the edges with self tapping panhead screws (make sure the rollers can't make contact with the screws).
Old 09-21-2018, 10:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteAndEd View Post
My extended warranty on the slides has a $500 deductible... that's my hesitation at the moment. I'll take it into the RV mechanic and have him look at it... but thought I'd mention it here to see if others may have the same thing and any solutions/thoughts/etc.

Thanks for the replies so far!
If it is covered under warranty why the need to pay a deductible
Old 09-21-2018, 01:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKI Marine View Post
If it is covered under warranty why the need to pay a deductible
Mfgr warranty is long gone (1 year I think). At the time of purchase, I purchased an extended warranty package which included the slides. Sorry, should have mentioned this in my original post. I've repaired both slide gear boxes at over $1,000 each with $500 deductibles each time.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteAndEd View Post
Mfgr warranty is long gone (1 year I think). At the time of purchase, I purchased an extended warranty package which included the slides. Sorry, should have mentioned this in my original post. I've repaired both slide gear boxes at over $1,000 each with $500 deductibles each time.
Ouch ! Seems like rv manufacturers set themselves up with that 1 year warranty. Hardly any time for the owner to use the rig to catch problems before hand. I had a similar situation with my axles. Once Forest River admitted my 5th wheel should have had larger axles ....... I was past the warranty. Paid for new axles, freight and install myself.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:55 PM   #9

Have the same thing on my 2017 fr32. I called the factory rep for my area and he told me that they have a plate that is wider than the roller and that would go under the roller mine is going to be covered because I have had many things wrong with this unit.they have been very good taking care of the moterhome.I live in upstate New York
cameron4467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron4467 View Post
Have the same thing on my 2017 fr32. I called the factory rep for my area and he told me that they have a plate that is wider than the roller and that would go under the roller mine is going to be covered because I have had many things wrong with this unit.they have been very good taking care of the moterhome.I live in upstate New York
I just wish all of the "little" things that show up would should up prior to the end of the 1 year "bumper to bumper" RV warranty...

Is your plate just wider than 1 roller or both rollers on the BR slide? Do you know the plate thickness by chance?

Tags
slide