Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2015, 01:03 PM   #1

Slideout ripped flooring...Help!

Hey guys. Long time lurker on here. Just picked up a used 2014 (2nd half model year) FR3 30DS 5 days ago in LA. First ever camper/motorhome. Today, when I was getting it ready for its maiden voyage, I brought the slide in and it caught the all vinyl flooring, ripping it in the process. The unit was purchased June 16, 2014 so its just out of warranty (although from what I can tell that wouldnt matter as it looks like FR's warranty is NOT transferrable.) Obviously the main slide pushed down hard enough against the flooring on the way in that it balled up and then ripped the vinyl.

Can anyone help me as to how I should pursue this?? I contacted FR but havent received anything back yet. Anyone else have this issue? Is it because the slide needs adjusted? Can it be adjusted by someone with some mechanical ability? I feel like I could find multiple floor experts to repair the vinyl, my concern is having this happen again after its repaired. Does anyone put duct tape down along the floor to help the slide not catch anything?

Looking for any and all help from the mounds of knowledge on this forum. Thanks in advance.

Johnny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3512.jpg
Views:	1079
Size:	513.4 KB
ID:	80981  
duracell24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:06 PM   #2

Give this a read. Sorry to hear about the mishap.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-79963.html
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:35 PM   #3
clr

Well there are a couple of possible causes here. First would be the adjustment of the slide in the cutout. You may be able to lift the slide and adjust if there is room on the top of the slide. I would gently pull back the seal on the bottom of the slide and see how much clearance there is. The slide of course can be adjusted both up and down. The other possible problem is the roller on that end of the slide may be damaged and or the floor has given way that supports the roller. Yes both of the roller problems do happen in units. There are many types of slide room systems out there so you would have to find out which one you are having problems with for us to be able to help you more. Good Luck.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:39 PM   #4

clr, can the average person with tools adjust the up/down of the slide or does it require special tools/skills? My plan right now is to have a pro (fibrenew or other) fix the flooring but I obviously want to prevent this from happening again. My unprofessional opinion is that the slide obviously needs raised to prevent it from pushing so hard on the flooring as it comes in. I feel like there should be 1/4" clearance or so from the bottom metal part of the slide and the flooring. Can you or anyone else direct me to some reading as to how to adjust the slide up? Thanks!
Old 06-24-2015, 04:38 PM   #5

BTW It's an Accuslide Cable adjusted system. From what I can tell, the only rollers are outside the motorhome underneath the slide. The metal 90 degree bracket that is located on the bottom of the slide is what is catching the floor the last 4-5 inches of travel. I have looked and looked and cant seem to find anywhere that you could adjust the slide besides putting greater tension on the upper cable to help "pull back" the top of the slide.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:18 PM   #6

Great, something else to worry about. Good luck and keep us all informed of your fix.
b1barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:16 PM   #7

Not blaming you but are you certain the coach was level when you brought the slide in? Seems odd to me that a previously owned coach would develop a slide floor clearance problem. I store my coach next the garage on a slightly angled left site sitting on wooden boards. I'm always asked by visiting family to open it up but I don't because I don't want to move the slides on uneven un level ground or with the frame twisted.

We had another forum
Member some months ago with the same rip caused by catching a carpet runner that was left in the way. He found a repair service that specializes in vinyl repair. If you find the adjustment to raise the slide please let us know so we can add that to the other things to watch out for.

@Self Cracking or leaking windshields.
@ air conditioners that blow air in the wrong places
@ slide motor gear sprockets that may have teeth break off unexpectedly.
@ AC breakers placed next to the main and pop off when other stuff is running.
@ entry doors that mis align and lock u in or out.
@ toilet water feeds that get clogged
@ water tanks that self siphon water out.
@ entry steps that break
@ bathroom skylights screw mounts that crack all by them self.
@ rear sway bar mounting clamps that fall off.

As our FR3s start to get two and three years old it should be interesting to see how well this entry level coach survives.

Technorick
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:42 PM   #8

Just an FYI, manual says coach level and jacks down before opening slides.
b1barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:00 PM   #9
clr

I did find the accuslide service manual and hopefully it is attached to this reply. I have no experience with this slide system.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf accuslide_service-manual.pdf (1.31 MB, 271 views)
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:53 PM   #10
RetAF7393

Clr, you may need to adjust the blue and green bottom cables, per page 6 of service manual. My best guess is that the slide has to be fully opened. Seems that the slide frame is off square as it is closing. I hope this helps you.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:06 PM   #11

Hey guys thanks for all the help. I double and triple checked tonight to make sure it was level. I raised the jacks then lowered them again on Auto and used a 4' level to be sure everything was level. It was just ever so slightly off so I manually leveled it but the bottom of the right track was still pressed hard against the vinyl. The left side has enough slack that I can stick my little finger underneath the metal V Bracket (Like a bed rail) when it's close to being closed. The right side (where the tear happened) is hard pressed against the vinyl and has no gap. I am using a Fibrenew guy on 8 July to have the floor repaired. I can bring the side in without damage if I push up as hard as I can on the upper portion as my wife brings in the slide.

Im going to look into the manual more thoroughly over the next few days and see if i can make the adjustment myself. Closest shop is 2 hours from here and backed up for 2 months.

I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:54 AM   #12

Duracell thank you for keeping us up to date. Sorry this happened to the floor in your RV. Please also give us all information on the service that fixes your floor. I keep a note book of all the great information on here, to help prevent issues and how to fix issues. It's everyone's help and support that makes RV ownership a breeze.

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2000 Jeep TJ Moab Rock Crawler
2013 Jeep JK
USS Seattle (AOE-3) 84-88 Wayne
US Army 06-15 Sherry
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring, slide, slide out