Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2018, 03:41 PM   #1

Question Smell in bedroom from closet

When we bought our FR3 30ds we noticed a horrible smell in the front closet of the bedroom. We took it to the dealer, who spent a month fixing it. But the smell is back.
Has anyone else had this problem?
rogernsuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:53 PM   #2

What was it that they fixed??
DutchRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogernsuzy View Post
When we bought our FR3 30ds we noticed a horrible smell in the front closet of the bedroom. We took it to the dealer, who spent a month fixing it. But the smell is back.
What kind of smell? Is the sink next to the closet?
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:11 PM   #4

They didn't succeed in fixing the smell. It is in the closet closest to the toilet and in the drawers below the closet.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:12 PM   #5

They said they sealed the black and grey tanks and the vents coming from them.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:15 PM   #6

Look under the sink and see if you have a short vent with a valve and cap on it. the smells can move around.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:54 PM   #7

I'm not familiar with the layout of your MH, but if the vent stack from the black tank has been punctured during manufacture or when/if modifications were done where it goes past the closet area that could cause some bad smells to escape into the RV.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:00 PM   #8

Oftentimes it's one of your air admittance valves like cavie mentioned above. In my experience the gray smells even worse than the black. You probably have two or three of them in your rig. Here's a few photos of mine. The stock valve just screws off the PCV pipe although sometimes they get stuck. I had to drill a hole in mine and turn it out with a screwdriver. You can pick up cheap replacements at Home Depot although I recommend you buy the more expensive ones (Studor) and you'll likely never have the problem again.

Not sure if these photos will display. I just uploaded them to a google photo page. The first two show the original valves and the third shows the Studor replacements.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/F9xQMdBgfyMV37jg6

jor
jor_tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor_tucson View Post
Oftentimes it's one of your air admittance valves like cavie mentioned above. In my experience the gray smells even worse than the black. You probably have two or three of them in your rig. Here's a few photos of mine. The stock valve just screws off the PCV pipe although sometimes they get stuck. I had to drill a hole in mine and turn it out with a screwdriver. You can pick up cheap replacements at Home Depot although I recommend you buy the more expensive ones (Studor) and you'll likely never have the problem again.

Not sure if these photos will display. I just uploaded them to a google photo page. The first two show the original valves and the third shows the Studor replacements.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/F9xQMdBgfyMV37jg6

jor
Thanks! I'm just a little confused as to where on the coach this picture was taken. Was it behind the closet? Does the closet come out?

Roger
Old 05-31-2018, 08:36 AM   #10

Quote:
where on the coach this picture was taken

Sorry. I should have noted that the photos are not from an FR3. My brother has one so I like to look in on this forum and see what 's going on with them. Nevertheless, you must have at least two of the air admittance valves in your coach. On my coach, for example, there are two under the closet (black and washer) and one under the kitchen sink. The closet ones are well hidden and hard to get at. It's a mystery why manufacturers insist on hiding these things. Anyhow, when they don't operate properly the smell is awful. If your valves are good you should never have to add anything to the black tank. Good luck and sorry again for the confusion.
jor
jor_tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:55 PM   #11

Smell in bedroom from closet

Could be water in the wall from a leak from the roof.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:48 PM   #12
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogernsuzy View Post
Oh!, now I know where I left my socks.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 02:04 AM   #13

So, is it a sewer smell? Skunky smell, mold? Ammonia?
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:52 PM   #14
from Cali

I’ve never had any smells. FYI
Central Coast of California
RV Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:59 PM   #15

So I was out camping and I noticed a horrible smell coming from my kitchen area. My Black was probably about 2/3 full and we were just about to get going out of the campsite. The smell came from the tank vent pipe down into the vent cover right next to the sink. I think I need to install one of those tank vent vanes.
alexchuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:27 PM   #16

Exclamation I think the black water vent is clogged

While flushing the black water tank I heard a noise from the toilet. When I flushed the toilet a stream of air and water shot out. Apparently the vent is clogged and the entry of water caused a pressure build up.

Does this make sense? Should I try pouring water down the vent to see if it is stopped? Maybe snake out the vent?
Old 07-04-2018, 10:43 PM   #17

Try draining your water lines to the washer, if you don’t have a washer. Mine started smelling but after flushing both lines,the smell went away. Now I only smell my MIL if she comes into the trailer.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, roo