Old 08-10-2018, 10:36 PM   #1

Solar plug in location for 2017 FR3

I am looking into a portable solar panel but not sure where the plug in for solar would be on our FR3.

jodina220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodina220 View Post
I am looking into a portable solar panel but not sure where the plug in for solar would be on our FR3.
FR3 is not solar ready.
2017 FR3 Brochure v11-16.pdf

2018 FR3 Flyer v12-2017.pdf

Solar Power & Battle Born batteries thread
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:55 AM   #3

As said above FR3 are not solar ready. How big of a portable solar panel are you talking? What do you intend to use it for? If it is just to help recharge your batteries (which does take a while) then try this it easy to setup up and convenient. We have one and like it.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:10 AM   #4
Lacey's Spring, AL

you would just run them to your Solar Controller module, which is required with solar panels, and then a short run directly to your batteries. Some of us don't even do this as a permanent hookup, but use our panels only when needed, setting them on the ground near the coach, and using alligator clips to the battery bank.

solar 'ready' coaches are really not that big of a deal, the factory just provided simple wires from the roof down to the battery area... no biggy, and usually they don't size them large enough anyway...plus, everyone doesn't necessarily want to mount solar on their roof.

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada... from W.C. Georgia, then W. North Carolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:38 PM   #5

I bought a 100 Watt solar system from Harbor Freight for $150 (with coupon). It has four 25 watt panels and I have only need 2 panels to maintain my batteries. Comes with the controller and it just connects to the battery.
CastleRockcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleRockcamper View Post
I bought a 100 Watt solar system from Harbor Freight for $150 (with coupon). It has four 25 watt panels and I have only need 2 panels to maintain my batteries. Comes with the controller and it just connects to the battery.

CR, would you mind linking the one you bought?

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2018, 11:47 PM   #7

Solar panels

You can go to Harbon Freight web page and search solar panels. I believe they only have one 100 Watt system. I copied the link but for some reason cannot paste the link to my reply. I need to learn how to do that!
CastleRockcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:38 AM   #8

I would recommend you purchase a portable solar panel(s) with the controller as a set/kit. This way the panel(s) usually will come pre-wired to the proper size controller. All you would have to do is run the wires from the controller to the batteries. If you want to have a nice clean install just install a waterproof plug from the batteries to exterior wall of your coach and splice the wires to the other half of the plug similar to what you used. Be careful to keep the polarity correct. It may sound hard but really it's pretty simple. Everything is available thru Amazon.
rock-rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:45 PM   #9

Cool beans!
Old 08-13-2018, 05:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock-rocker View Post
I would recommend you purchase a portable solar panel(s) with the controller as a set/kit. This way the panel(s) usually will come pre-wired to the proper size controller. All you would have to do is run the wires from the controller to the batteries. If you want to have a nice clean install just install a waterproof plug from the batteries to exterior wall of your coach and splice the wires to the other half of the plug similar to what you used. Be careful to keep the polarity correct. It may sound hard but really it's pretty simple. Everything is available thru Amazon.
FR3 Battery bay is open on bottom. You do not need to cut a hole in the wall. Just mount a quick connect inside the battery bay.

Solar Power & Battle Born batteries thread
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, fr3, location, solar