Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #41

THE Problems I've had I contacted Bob Byrnes the founder of FROG 574-825-8532 but I believe he's out for graduation of a family member be back I think Monday !! Also have talked withTravi Byrd at FR 574-206-7635 I know he handles the FR3 .Good luck hope all works will ! SEMPER FI
bigdocron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:15 PM   #42

The camera issue is that there is not enough slack in the camera feed. I have plugged mine back in after rough roads.
oh2015fr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:39 PM   #43

OK Poor service from C.W. Valencia Ca/Bakersfield Ca.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:54 PM   #44

Why would they charge to prep if it was new???????? Something does not sound right??????

gtony2
gtony2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:06 PM   #45

"Prep"=Very expensive walk through.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:18 PM   #46

Camping World is becoming the Wally World of the RV industry.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:35 PM   #47

I put a deposit on a trailer at CW. Should have received it in about 2 weeks.(July 2014) Was told i cant have it till late Sept-Early Oct. Got my deposit back and picked one up a week later.When i order a part on line or at the local store they always thank me for the Salem 27RKSS i purchased from them. Sorry for getting away from the post.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:01 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
Camping World is becoming the Wally World of the RV industry.
One good thing about Wally World. They have most of the regular stuff for our RV's and it is cheaper than C.W. and free shipping to your local store.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:33 PM   #49

So True!
Old 05-20-2015, 08:28 AM   #50

Thanks everyone for all the helpful information.
The prep charge (950.00) I was told by the C.W. salesman was something everyone pays for and could not be waived. I was told it was so they service department could check everything prior to my "walk Through" and to make sure everything was functional. They had it there from February 28th until I had the walk through on April 10th.
When I had the walk through the camera's were not functioning. When I brought this up to the gentleman doing the walk through that the camera's were not working. His response was you don't have any camera's on this particular unit. I told him he was wrong and went out and showed him the camera's. Has a rear camera and two side view camera's. He told me after trying to get them to work and the sales person trying to get them to work, I would have to make an appointment to bring it into the service department to have them trouble shoot it then decide what needed to be done. This guy did not even know how to turn the lights on.
I live about 90 miles one way from C.W.
They told me if I ever have any questions to call. I called a week latter with three (3) questions. He answered one (1) told me he did not know the answer for the other two (2) but would get back with me. This was over a month ago. I'm still waiting for a reply ( ha ha) . If I had to do it all over again, I would never buy an R.V. from C.W. in Akron, Ohio.
philv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:19 AM   #51

I'm still waiting on a reply from either of my two email messages or two voice mail messages left weeks ago.....not that I would act on it now.

I try to warn anyone I come in contact with about CW in Akron, OH.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:42 AM   #52

Sounds like CW in Akron is going to lose a lot of business after we all put the word out on them. Oh well that's what they get for not taking care o0f customers.
#1-18' Nomad #2- 20' Mallard #3- 27' Sunline #4- Four Winds C #5- Innsbruck 40' PARK # 6- 28' Amerilite #7- Forest River 26.5 FW ( 1st FW)
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:03 AM   #53

I am of the opinion that no one should buy a RV from any Camping World.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:10 AM   #54
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by philv View Post
Thanks everyone for all the helpful information.
The prep charge (950.00) I was told by the C.W. salesman was something everyone pays for and could not be waived. I was told it was so they service department could check everything prior to my "walk Through" and to make sure everything was functional. They had it there from February 28th until I had the walk through on April 10th.
When I had the walk through the camera's were not functioning. When I brought this up to the gentleman doing the walk through that the camera's were not working. His response was you don't have any camera's on this particular unit. I told him he was wrong and went out and showed him the camera's. Has a rear camera and two side view camera's. He told me after trying to get them to work and the sales person trying to get them to work, I would have to make an appointment to bring it into the service department to have them trouble shoot it then decide what needed to be done. This guy did not even know how to turn the lights on.
I live about 90 miles one way from C.W.
They told me if I ever have any questions to call. I called a week latter with three (3) questions. He answered one (1) told me he did not know the answer for the other two (2) but would get back with me. This was over a month ago. I'm still waiting for a reply ( ha ha) . If I had to do it all over again, I would never buy an R.V. from C.W. in Akron, Ohio.
It's true that most dealers want to charge a ridiculous PDI fee when selling an RV. What is also true is that this fee is usually waived if the buyer insists and will walk away from the deal if they charge the fee. For CW to charge $950 is pretty ludicrous and the comment about the cameras just goes to show his ignorance (IMHO).

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:23 AM   #55

This PDI fee is basically a way to advertise or beat competitor prices, then spring this fee on to make up the difference. I was given the exact same fee and exact same line. I blew up and they cut the fee in half. Given their purchase price was a little lower I ended up accepting it.

While in hindsight I may never again go with a CW, I did not have this knowledge when I ordered it. While CW makes a good target and deservedly so, I have had really poor experiences with a half-dozen other dealers in my area that were not CW. If you are lucky enough to find a dealer you trust and have a good relationship I highly encourage anyone to stick with them for the long haul, regardless if their price is a little higher. Many of us do not really have a good option available without driving 4-6 hours and I am just not wanting to do that. Maybe down the road but not right now.

For some of us our only choice is to throw a hail mary bomb and hope for the best...then turn to the kind folks in this community for some support after the fact.

Hang in there OP.
RooVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:24 PM   #56

Wow..... I'm going to be ready to buy in a couple weeks, FR3 is on my very short list, Winnebago Vista 31KE, A.C.E. 30.1, Fleetwood Flair, Trek, and I know issues are common, but you guys are scaring me, "many issues" "6 weeks at the dealer still not fixed" "OVERHEAD BED FELL DOWN!!! ouch. I still like the FR3 best..... but if they won't even return a phone call..... wow
willide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:30 PM   #57
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

willide...What you need to consider is that the problems you see here does not mean that ALL coaches are having problems. No matter what "new" motorhome, or travel trailer brand you purchase, your going to see problems. You just have to hope they are minimal.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:47 PM   #58

PDI Fees

I bought my 2011 XLR 30 X 14 TH from RV Outlet in Ringgold, Virginia with a great price and no PDI fee. Go to: www.rv007.com. They never charge a PDI fee.
robert.beck.7737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:05 PM   #59

True Curt... I do relize that.... so I see you have an FR3 30DS.... happy with it? I currently have a 1999 Southwind 32V...... it's been a really solid motorhome, but we are ready for new.... like I said we really like the FR3, and we are pretty sure it will be our choice.... thanks for any input.....
willide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:26 PM   #60
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by willide View Post
True Curt... I do relize that.... so I see you have an FR3 30DS.... happy with it? I currently have a 1999 Southwind 32V...... it's been a really solid motorhome, but we are ready for new.... like I said we really like the FR3, and we are pretty sure it will be our choice.... thanks for any input.....
So far I'm very happy with our "Beasty" FR3. We've had minor fixes but, nothing major (knock on wood). Just make sure to go over, with the dealer, every area of the coach. Hopefully you'll get a PDI person that knows about the coach and not some nimrod going through a routine.

Just remember that the FR3 is FR's entry level coach. You're gonna see some things that'll need upgrading to your liking. So far we've added a surge protector, 1000W inverter, auto transfer switch, Safe-T-Plus stabilizer, MaxxAir fan, shelving in the entry closet. As you read this forum, you'll come across a lot of good ideas others have done to their FR3's.

Good luck with your search.