Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2018, 12:04 AM   #1

Sound system upgrades?

Our 2018 30 DS came with a Pioneer AVH-X390BS head unit which is really nice as far as head units go. Our speakers however, are Jensen... which are about as cheap as you can get. Our outdoor speakers sound like they’re at the end of a pvc tube.

I want to keep the head unit but upgrade speakers and add some in the driver/passenger area. Has anyone done this upgrade yet?
LytesOutFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:03 AM   #2

Yep, Jensen speakers gotta go!

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...de-115108.html
DutchRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchRv View Post

Great link Dutch thanks. I’m gathering components for an upgrade now.[emoji1360]
Old 04-17-2018, 12:44 PM   #4

This was the first thing I did! I replaced all the interior speakers with 6.5" Kicker speakers and have 5.25" Kicker Marine speakers coming today for the outside. I replaced the deck with a Kenwood unit and have an 8" Kicker Sub coming today as well that will be powered by a 600W Kicker Amp and hidden in the cabinetry for a better sounding system and if it's not already hooked up to the main TV inside, I will hook it up to that as well so we have kinda a surround sound going on in there
The speakers up front were smaller than the 6.5" I believe 5.25" but a quick template and saw took care of that issue.
ARS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARS1 View Post
This was the first thing I did! I replaced all the interior speakers with 6.5" Kicker speakers and have 5.25" Kicker Marine speakers coming today for the outside. I replaced the deck with a Kenwood unit and have an 8" Kicker Sub coming today as well that will be powered by a 600W Kicker Amp and hidden in the cabinetry for a better sounding system and if it's not already hooked up to the main TV inside, I will hook it up to that as well so we have kinda a surround sound going on in there
The speakers up front were smaller than the 6.5" I believe 5.25" but a quick template and saw took care of that issue.

I measured out these JL Audio 6x9’s and they fit neatly into the recess where the 5.25 is now. I haven’t checked the depth yet though.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5241.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	168639Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5242.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	168640
Old 04-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #6

I would like to put additional speakers right next to the driver/passenger near the floor. We travel with our bunk down and do not get much sound up front because of that. A friend suggested getting Marine speakers because they’re designed to fill a large area with sound and do not need an enclosure.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LytesOutFR3 View Post
I measured out these JL Audio 6x9’s and they fit neatly into the recess where the 5.25 is now. I haven’t checked the depth yet though.
Attachment 168639Attachment 168640

I’m liking this idea too... Did you end up using the 6x9s?

Thanks,
Brian
MOTRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade