Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2017, 04:11 PM   #1

Southern Heatwave & EZ Snap

We've decided to stay in Nashville for most of August and September and the heat is unbearable. Our single AC is running 24/7 just to keep us comfortable.

I'm looking online for exterior hear solutions and EZ Snap looks pretty legit. (www.ezsnapdirect.com)

Does anyone have experience with these? What solutions are you using to control the heat? I'm looking at reflective vent pads too.
gomatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:50 PM   #2

I personally love class A because it's simple. Pull in, press, level, press slides and awning out. I don't want a big setup procedure and I try to keep my storage bins open for things I want, not RV parts. So I've been looking at no-work ways of achieving this.

3m makes several products that you get installed on the windshield and it stays on but can block tons of solar radiation. I will be looking to get it installed once we're ready to make the move to a warmer climate in the next few months. It's about $150 for the driving windows and the rear window. But the demo was super impressive.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:42 PM   #3

I also follow sailing blogs on YouTube, and some have ordered this same material (I'm assuming) called Phifertex Vinyl Mesh and made their own window covers. They also used the attachments, SNADs, which looks very similar to what this company is doing. So if your willing to do some sewing, could save a bunch of money. Even if you buy the material and take it to a seamstress, you'll probably come out ahead. I've seen both of these products on Sailrite - Fabric, Canvas, and Sewing Machines Since 1969
Old 07-20-2017, 05:25 PM   #4

We live in Middle Tennessee and it is about as hot as it gets this week. My home AC is running non-stop. I am sure my MH would not stay cool during the day in this heat.
yensidcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:32 PM   #5

@kansas.. thanks, that's a huge help. I'll do a cost analysis for a 2015 FR3 DS30 and let you know how it went.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomatthew View Post
@kansas.. thanks, that's a huge help. I'll do a cost analysis for a 2015 FR3 DS30 and let you know how it went.
Heres the video on YouTube of MJSailing creating shades for their sailboat. Window covers start around 6 mins mark in the video.

goo.gl/efWb31
Old 07-21-2017, 01:00 PM   #7
Retired Ford Tech

Red face EZ Snap

I put them on my 2008 GT in 2015. Make sure you put the adhesive snaps on a FLAT surface. I put them on the flat part of my window frame and the area was only 1/4 inch flat and since I already cut the shades to match the window, I was screwed. The snaps came off in the Arizona heat. The time that they were on they did a good job of keeping the heat down. I was told by the factory rep, that I should have put them on the coach, not the window frame.
rvpezzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:44 PM   #8

Reflectix and camco vent pillows. Don't forget the shower skylight. Reflectix is amazing and also doubles as blackout curtains on the windows in the morning. Also, having the bink down and drapping blankets down seperates the cab from the rest of the rv. Big help in this too. 2016 30ds user.
Finally, inspect the ac unit and wrap the styrofoam with reflectiv insulation tape. This seals the heat out. Be sure to make sure the cold air doesnt short curcuit and go directly into the return. A temp gun helps distinguish variations in temps. Use insulation tape to seal the common wall from each other for efficiency. Good luck!

Lastly, why did the put a black shroud around the ac unit as that surely doesn't help!?
Combatcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:26 PM   #9

@combatcoal.. awesome tips. Ordering my vent pillows now.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatcoal View Post
Reflectix and camco vent pillows. Don't forget the shower skylight. Reflectix is amazing and also doubles as blackout curtains on the windows in the morning. Also, having the bink down and drapping blankets down seperates the cab from the rest of the rv. Big help in this too. 2016 30ds user.
Finally, inspect the ac unit and wrap the styrofoam with reflectiv insulation tape. This seals the heat out. Be sure to make sure the cold air doesnt short curcuit and go directly into the return. A temp gun helps distinguish variations in temps. Use insulation tape to seal the common wall from each other for efficiency. Good luck!

Lastly, why did the put a black shroud around the ac unit as that surely doesn't help!?
What styrofoam and how to prevent "short circuit"
Old 07-21-2017, 08:08 PM   #11

my ac has styrofoam surrounding it, like a cheap cooler. i covered it with insulated reflective tape. it made a nice difference measuring the temp coming in. short circuit as in when the cold air comes into the rv, some of it bleeds thru a common wall within the rv and the cold air gets sucked into the return box. it happens when there is gaps in the wall. taping it up will prevent the leaking into the return.
Combatcoal is offline   Reply With Quote