Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #1

Spare tire for FR3

I am looking for ideas to install a spare tire, under the machine or a rack behind it. I am trying not to put it in the cargo space as it is too bulky and I would lose a lot of storage. Any ideas?

Thanks
johnpisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #2

Spare

My FR3 is in storage, so I can't look, but is there the possibility to put it under the plywood that supports the mattress? Seems like that's some extra space.
spicyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #3

I do not think that the plywood lifts under the mattress.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:08 PM   #4
Motoring

I asked a similar question here some time ago about getting/mounting a spare tire... The replies I got indicated that I would be better off calling a service to come out since I wouldn't be able to change the tire myself. Thinking about it, I kind of see what they're saying if it's a rear tire. I think we have some roadside assistance the first year and can obviously buy that going forward...

But I got to thinking how much are those tires and if you wait to buy one from a road side assistance crew will you pay out the nose, or are they reasonable? Anyone had any experience with flats on the road?

Grotto
grotto69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:54 AM   #5

We have a 2004 g Georgetown. The original spare still has the white tag on it. I'm not sure you need one.

2004 Georgetown 326DS
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:28 AM   #6

There is no spare with the FR3. I bought one here in Ontario, Canada. Cost me $850.00. I am thinking it would cost more if I buy one on the road. We are planning a cross country trip and I don't want to take the chance of not having a spare. I will look at mounting it under the motorhome, if not, probably attach it somehow to the back. I don't think I want to put it in my tow vehicle
Old 07-01-2015, 08:00 PM   #7

Spare tire for FR3

I Had a friend who while on road trip waited 2 days in a tire store parking lot waiting for his spare tire to be shipped after roadside assist picked him up and brought him to the "closest authorized " repair shop.

I decided to buy a spare for that reason. No rim. Just the tire. I figure either Ford roadside or Good Sam if advised that I have an un mounted spare they can dis patch a service truck that can mount the tire on the side of the road and I'll be on my way faster. I attempted to fit it under the coach behind the fuel tank but it didn't fit due to the scrape bars. Made this carrier from stock at Lowes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1435798476.345668.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	81849

BTW. The G670 RV 245 19.5 Goodyear tire with F load rating are scarce here in the east and Expensive! Campers world wanted $560 for one without a rim! My local Goodyear store got me one for$490 took two days to get it.

2014 FR330 DS
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:03 AM   #8

That is a good idea. I got a G670 RV 245 70 19.5 for $463.17 delivered from simpletire.com. I chose the G rated over the slightly less rated F tire.

Now to make a holder. Thanks for sharing the idea and joy of dry camping at the tire store.
zippyzrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:07 PM   #9

If you had someone fearless and willing enuf to cut out those u bars behind the fuel tank out it will fit nicely under the rear storage bin. The u bars could possibly be repositioned a few inches further back. But I wouldn't want to pop a cutting torch behind e fuel tank!

2014 FR330 DS
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:31 PM   #10

I keep mine in the rear pass thru storage. It lies flat on the mid point shelf and fits perfectly.
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:41 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

I do hope you made it so it is lockable. Otherwise you may loose a tire and cover.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:20 PM   #12

It is locked tight in the locked storage but no reason to keep a cover on at tire that is not exposed to the elements.
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire