Old 01-04-2016, 02:24 PM   #1

Stairs motor

So we just completed a 3,000 mile trip and pretty much all went well again except the stairs motor decided to go out. I attempted to goto Autozone to get a replacement based on different part numbers that I found online, but none of them looked right. I just ordered the corrected one off Amazon and reinstalled it in California. Anyone have a replacement part number of a wiper motor that would work for our stairs?

Overall though, we were pretty happy with the rig during this trip. Kept us warm down to 5F. I would run a supplemental 1500 watt heater ($10 heater) during some of those low temps to keep the furnace from running all the time. Just set it to medium to make sure furnace was still cycling to heat up the water bay. The setup worked out well. Back winterized and waiting for the next orders. Now time to install a CB radio that I got for xmas. :-)

Old 01-04-2016, 03:21 PM   #2
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

I'm sure if you contacted Lippert/Kwikee they can help you to find the proper motor.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:26 PM   #3

There is a recall on some electric stairs. Check on it
Old 01-20-2016, 01:46 AM   #4
Motoring

I just got the recall notice on stairs in the mail. ours broke early on. we have a 2013 30 DS. it says the replacement part may still be defective as well
Old 01-20-2016, 09:00 PM   #5
from Cali

If anyone figures out a permanent repair for this let us know. I feel it would be helpful to have one with me as it seems inevitable that mine will go out also. I'm also considering finding a slideout motor. Not sure what they cost but you know how these things break at the worst possible time. I don't want to ruin an outing.

2015 FR3 30DS
Central Coast of California
Central Coast of California
RV Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:19 AM   #6

This is the part that I used and it bolted in just fine on our 2015 30DS. It just would be nice to have a cheaper alternative.

When ours failed, it would run for like 5 seconds while making loud clanking noise before the controller would stop supplying power to the motor. So if you help the stairs go in during that 5 seconds, it'll stow just fine. Then you'd just have to disconnect the motor from underneath to prevent it from turning on everytime the door opens. PIA getting in and out afterwards. Strap is used for extra security.

http://www.amazon.com/Kwikee-1820124...ikee+series+25

I've seen some web postings that say a Dorman 742-277 would fit from a 86' Ford Taurus, drivers side window. Would be nice to know if it does fit. $40 instead of $85+. And most autoparts stores would have lifetime warranty too.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:15 PM   #7
from Cali

Thanks