Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2015, 08:29 AM   #21

Makes you wonder...if the CHF was an obvious improvement and simple to do, then why wouldn't the manufacturer do it?
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:28 PM   #22

found this

I asked the Ford Engineer that very question and the response made sense. They only make the "Stripped" chassis. This means anything could be put on the top of those frame rails (ie: flat bed, box truck, etc). They don't set it up specifically for MH customers. It would be up to the MH manufacturers to make the mod.

in this thread: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...s-33149-3.html

2014 JEEP WRANGLER WILLYS
Bobb36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:58 PM   #23

So far will worth the money !!
bigdocron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:11 PM   #24

hey bigdocron, give us some details !!
what did the t-plus give you
did you keep the CHF, or did you reverse back to stock
svwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:23 PM   #25

CW installed and got everything aligned ,took most of the sway and over steering out of it .Getting ready for a longer trip in 2 wks ! I'll let you know if all is well . Nothing was changed by CW
bigdocron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:01 PM   #26

I just completed the Cheap Handling Fix and installation of a Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer on my 2015 FR3 25DS. I am very pleased with the results. The steering 'wander' is pretty much gone and the greatly reduced swaying makes for much better handling in turns etc. I have only done a short test drive without the toad, but am planning a 3000+ mile trip at the beginning of March and will really tell me how much better it is.
FR3-25DSOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:03 PM   #27

Why did you go with the road master system as compared to the safe t plus system?

Did you do the CHF on both front
& rear ?

Sent from my rotten iPhone
Old 02-01-2015, 07:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by svwc View Post
Why did you go with the road master system as compared to the safe t plus system?

Did you do the CHF on both front
& rear ?

I chose the Roadmaster product primarily on cost. The basic principle of operation was the same as some others, but this appeared to be the lowest cost. It was simple to install and I made sure the wheels were pointed straight ahead prior to installation and I lucked out and did not have to do any further adjustments to get it to track straight. I did the CHF on both front and rear and retained the original struts on the front, despite the ongoing debate on whether to get longer ones or not.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:36 PM   #29

Don't have the FR3 but have the Coachmen Pursuit and I installed the Roadmaster RSSA and did the cheap handling fix. Last week I took the coach out to the factory service center for some repairs. Had the tow dolly and a Chevy Silverado Pick up on it and found the Roadmaster stabilizer to make a huge difference. Drove most of the time with one hand. Last August on the way to the FROG rally and a lighter vehicle on the dolly it was a two hand drive. Went with the Roadmaster because I found one with the mounting bracket for less then $240.00 including shipping. Took approximately 30 minutes to install it.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:58 PM   #30

Has any one figured out how to take up the slack in the steering on the fr3. I did the cheap fix and safety plus. Still some slack in the steering. No problem with passing trucks or wind, just seems loose in the steering wheel.
fpo1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:06 PM   #31

thanks bigdocron, FR3-25DSowner & rgmiller32
I'll have to do some more research
My 25DS does not drive very well, white knuckle driving over 65 mph
big trucks passing me blows the MH all over the place
I've done the CHF on the front, tires are at max pressure, had a wheel alignment
I still have to do the rear CHF, then install one of these stabilizers
if that doesn't work, bye bye FR3
Old 02-01-2015, 09:37 PM   #32

I won't drive my FR3 over 65. Not only would it make fuel efficiency even worse than it already is, I would not be surprised if it handled worse. I think the short wheelbase makes it a bit squirrely at speed compared to a longer wheelbase.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:48 PM   #33

Yes, I completely agree with you, but with speed limits up to 75 to 80 mph, semi trucks at that speed or better, 65 mph is slow, and any less, you become a hazzard

Old 02-01-2015, 09:52 PM   #34

If trucks are going 75-80, THEY are the hazard, not you for going 65. Most places I've seen, truck speed limits are 10 MPH less than for cars anyway.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:53 PM   #35

First thing is to have the front end alignment checked. Ours was towed out by 1/2". Made for a very darty drive. Check tire pressures and start at the Ford recemendation. Under inflation and over inflation will make it darty. Then check for a front track bar and do the cheap handling fix. Next would be the front steering stabilizer. Last would be rear track bar.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:43 PM   #36

Installed the True Center, run all tires at 82psi, handling improved 100%. Oh yes, first thing I did was contact FR for a alignment under warranty. The true center is worth the extra money!
Brewster McFrisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:26 PM   #37
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

I finally had a little time to crawl under "Beasty" to have a look at doing the CHF. I see what everyone is talking about but, in looking at the links it looks as tho' if I were to try to move the link to the inner hole, the link would not be long enough. There are no adjustments. Before I go crawling back under there, I'm asking those that have done the CHF, am I wrong? Is the link long enough to fit into the inner hole? Do I need to jack the end of the sway bar up for it to fit?
Any advice is welcome.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:10 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivmsafe View Post
I finally had a little time to crawl under "Beasty" to have a look at doing the CHF. I see what everyone is talking about but, in looking at the links it looks as tho' if I were to try to move the link to the inner hole, the link would not be long enough. There are no adjustments. Before I go crawling back under there, I'm asking those that have done the CHF, am I wrong? Is the link long enough to fit into the inner hole? Do I need to jack the end of the sway bar up for it to fit?
Any advice is welcome.
They are long enough. You just have to rotate the stabilizer up to meet (no jack needed, although connecting the second strut may require it if the RV is not perfectly level. There are those who advocate installing a longer strut to preserve the same geometry between the strut and the stabilizer, but many (including me) have not done so with no reported ill effects. I drove hundreds and hundreds of miles over extremely rough road (right lane on I-5 in California) with no problems.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:16 PM   #39
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

HAH!! I know all about that I-5 right lane. lol
Appreciate the info FR3. I'm going to assume that the angle, once the link is moved, is not a problem? Right now it's straight up and down.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:11 PM   #40

tHE LINK ARE LONG ENOUGH SWAY BAR PUSHES UP LINK move , i used a jack on rear bar was not on level ground not a biggie, piece of cake.
Carl17 is offline   Reply With Quote