Old 01-03-2019, 01:10 PM   #1

Storing FR3 for winter

I have a 2018 FR3 30ds. Of course, I did the usual things - drained the pipes and fresh water storage, taped up all the sink drains to keep bugs out, hit the battery disconnect, etc. It has been in storage since the end of October about 5 miles from my new home in Florida. I have been going there about every 3 weeks or so to check it out, run the engine and generator for 7 to 10 minutes, change the 1Ē of water in the toilet, etc.

The last 2 times I have visited it (today and 12/27/18), I noticed the stairs did not automatically open when I opened the door. The engine started up just fine. Today, I turned on the battery disconnect switch by the front door before I started the engine but saw no light. The generator would not start or even make any noise and none of the ceiling lights would go on. Once I started the engine, everything was fine. The generator started up no problem. Even when I turned off the engine and the generator, the battery indicator showed full charge.

I did notice that when I leave the motorhome and disconnect the battery, the green light for what I think is the propane detector is still on. (Itís the one near the floor behind the dinette on the wall that has the bathroom sink on the other side of it). When I come back a few weeks later, it is red. The propane tank is completely shut off. I wonder if the propane detector is draining the house battery while I am gone? Is there a way to shut that off? Or is there something else I should be doing when I leave the FR3 for a few weeks?

FYI, I usually turn on the AC when I run the generator to put a load on it. All seems to be good other than what appears to be an almost dead house battery.

Thanks!

jimlitwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:23 PM   #2

Following...

Griswards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:12 AM   #3

This is what I was told by my Forest River tech support person: "Thank you for your email. The LP detector is wired directly to the batteries. If you want to disable the propane detector, you will have to pull the 5 amp fuse that connects directly to the batteries. It is a possibility that the detector would discharge the battery. There will be 3 or 4 16 to 18 gauge ( thinner) wire coming off the house battery bank. Find the one with an inline 5 amp fuse and pull it. You WILL have to replace the fuse anytime the coach is being used to have a working lp detector."
Old 01-04-2019, 11:02 AM   #4

Update on this. I went to the FR3 this morning and found the bundle of 3 wires leading from the house batteries with the very clearly marked inline fuses and removed the 5 amp one. Green light still on the detector! But went back and found a single wire with another 5 amp fuse and pulled that. Success!

I decided to pull all 4 inline fuses just to be sure. So I pulled the 15 amp and 25 amp ones and stored all 4 in a drawer inside the FR3.

Question: Is it OK to have all 4 fuses pulled while in storage and will the house batteries charge if I run the generator with all 4 fuses pulled? I would only do this while it is in storage and will put back all 4 fuses when we hit the road next May.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlitwin View Post
Update on this. I went to the FR3 this morning and found the bundle of 3 wires leading from the house batteries with the very clearly marked inline fuses and removed the 5 amp one. Green light still on the detector! But went back and found a single wire with another 5 amp fuse and pulled that. Success!

I decided to pull all 4 inline fuses just to be sure. So I pulled the 15 amp and 25 amp ones and stored all 4 in a drawer inside the FR3.

Question: Is it OK to have all 4 fuses pulled while in storage and will the house batteries charge if I run the generator with all 4 fuses pulled? I would only do this while it is in storage and will put back all 4 fuses when we hit the road next May.
I installed a bus bar & master shut-off to disconnect the batteries.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery shutoff 20180811_183653.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	573.1 KB
ID:	193977
The red bus bar is where I connected all the small wires that went direct to the batteries.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries thread
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fr3, winter