Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2017, 09:38 AM   #1

Sumo Springs on FR3

Wanted to ask who here has installed the Sumo springs on their FR3 and did it help? We really want to smooth out the ride in the front.

I have seen various posts about slide-ins (SSR) and solo springs, but when I look at the Sumo Springs website, all they show available for the 2014 FR3 was part number SSF-184-40-1 (front) which attach to the frame and the springs.

Anybody install these yet? Will be calling them shortly, but wanted to get ya'lls opinion first.

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:14 PM   #2

Sumo Springs

I installed both front and rear on my 2015 30DS. I am pleased with the results; the ride is much smoother and feels more stable. My purpose in installing them was to get more control over side to side roll on narrow mountain roads; they work and I would do it again.

There's a bit of excitement going over bumps like raised railroad tracks and sharp dips in that the front tends to bounce up a little more than it did before; however, the bounce is only on the upswing and settles immediately when coming back down. It's not a huge bounce, but the difference is noticeable.

The drive feels and acts much more stable than before the springs, especially when driving in side winds and when passing trucks. I drive over a lot of two lane roads that a plagued by dips and uneven surfaces. i used to tense up when driving over those roads; I'm a lot more comfortable driving those roads now.

I installed:
SSF-184-40-1 for the Front
SSR-187-40-1 for the Rear (the upper bracket had to be mounted lower on the rear due to a 1" square tube on the frame preventing my mounting that bracket higher).

Talk to Gerry Lamberti at Supersprings International:
805 745-5553 or email at gerry@supersprings.com He is incredibly helpful.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:18 PM   #3
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Kicker View Post
I installed both front and rear on my 2015 30DS. I am pleased with the results; the ride is much smoother and feels more stable. ...{snip}
Have you already done the CHF or added additional suspension upgrades before the Sumos?

TIA,

Theo
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:03 PM   #4

I haven't done the CHF, but I did add front and rear anti-sway bars; a trak-bar; and Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer. Each addition made an improvement.

From what I've read, the CHF should have probably been my first attempt to stabilize the ride.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:39 PM   #5

I have already done the CHF, added the Saf-T-Plus stabilzer, and switched to Koni's on the front. Neither one smoothed out the ride on these lousy highways. Hoping the Sumo Springs will help there.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:45 PM   #6
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Kicker View Post
{snip}...From what I've read, the CHF should have probably been my first attempt to stabilize the ride.
Thanks for the info, Kick!

Theo
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:25 AM   #7

Timbren

i would highly recommend Timbren over sumo . They are easier to in stall and have away longer warranty, like life time. .
Made in Canada.
Carl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:43 PM   #8

Looking at Timbren, it looks like part numbers FFF53B for the front, and FRF53A for the rear. No drilling? I like that.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:48 PM   #9
RV Parts Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyreb View Post
Wanted to ask who here has installed the Sumo springs on their FR3 and did it help? We really want to smooth out the ride in the front.

I have seen various posts about slide-ins (SSR) and solo springs, but when I look at the Sumo Springs website, all they show available for the 2014 FR3 was part number SSF-184-40-1 (front) which attach to the frame and the springs.

Anybody install these yet? Will be calling them shortly, but wanted to get ya'lls opinion first.

Thanks.
If you want to see the most improvement in ride and sway look at the Blue Ox Trucenter system
Old 03-21-2017, 10:13 PM   #10
edm

Sumo springs

I installed the sumos front and rear on our 2016 30ds 2 weeks ago. It took me 2 hrs to install them on front and rear. The ride is much firmer and sway is much less. Overall the extra cost is worth it.
We have done the chf, super steer steering control, ss track bar. All of the added items have made a great deal of difference in how this coach handles.
Good luck and happy travels.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote