Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2019, 02:00 PM   #1

Surge and low voltage protection

I was looking elsewhere on the Forest River Forum on this topic and was considering buying on these to plug into the shore power outlet first. But someone suggested motorhomes like the FR3 may already have this protection built-in. Does anyone know if they do have some form of surge protection or voltage protection built in? I have a 2018 FR3 30ds with the X package. Thanks.
jimlitwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #2

I'm watching this, you know this is forest river correct? I would be shocked my self if they have one installed.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:43 PM   #3

Yes, probably they don't have anything like this but couldn't hurt to ask.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlitwin View Post
I was looking elsewhere on the Forest River Forum on this topic and was considering buying on these to plug into the shore power outlet first. But someone suggested motorhomes like the FR3 may already have this protection built-in. Does anyone know if they do have some form of surge protection or voltage protection built in? I have a 2018 FR3 30ds with the X package. Thanks.

I just got a 2020 fr3 30ds and the dealer told me that there is no built in surge protector.
Rodne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodne View Post
I just got a 2020 fr3 30ds and the dealer told me that there is no built in surge protector.
Thanks. What I thought but good to confirm.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:15 PM   #6

Newbie here. Took delivery on a FR 3X30 last month. I haven't found a surge/low voltage protector in the basement where I expected to find one, either. So, if y'all have recommended units/sources, please advise! Thanks. This forum is full of great information and very knowledgeable and helpful fellow travelers!
Dan Fitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #7

The best and most used is a progressive 50 amp hard wire, easy to install and works great, if you don't want to hard wire 1 in, then get the plug in portable. Same thing except you don't get a remote read out. There is nothing better on the market.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:53 PM   #8

THANKS!
Danno
Dan Fitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:45 PM   #9

Be aware there are "surge protectors" (aka, surge suppressors) and Electrical Management Systems. The former may very well protect against surges, spikes, and improperly wired campground outlets, but the EMS will also shut down the power if a critically low voltage (which can easily damage any AC-powered device containing a compressor) is detected. The EMS will come with a higher purchase price, but does more stuff.

I have been using the SSP-30XL surge suppressor without any problems to date, but I always check the campground power outlet with a very accurate voltmeter to verify proper voltage and connections. Consider also that last year, several of us were camped at a fairly large place and one of the other campers (using an EMS because he had already lost one air conditioner the previous year) said his power went off. I was not using my air conditioner at the time. I checked my line voltage and it was in the very low 100's (i.e., <105); his was at ~100, so his EMS did its job. From that night, I considered buying the EMS, and today, I installed one. This is a very effective and efficient device, and will easily be worth the money spent.
Summit1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
voltage