Old 12-07-2018, 11:28 AM   #1

Suspension - 2018 F53 Chassis

I have read thread after thread, watched YouTube videos, scoured the web looking at all the various options. Can anyone please confirm that these parts would be good to go for a 2018 F53 chassis on the 32DS?

1) The Blue Ox website doesn't offer 2018 as an option, only 2017. I assume there are no changes for 2018 that would exclude this?
TruCenter Steering Control | Blue Ox | Blue Ox

2) CHF + Alignment planned

3) Sumo Springs, I see SSF-170-40-2 for the front. For the rear I have seen both SSR-187-54-1 and 187-40-1, but then others who say there is a special rear needed that's an inch or two shorter to fit?

OK to use Roadmaster Front Sway bar (1139-140) and Rear Sway Bar (1139-145) with the Blue Ox + Sumo Springs?

Griswards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:29 AM   #2

I can only speak to your #2. I have a 2015 30DS. I had an alignment done almost immediately. I did the cheap handling fix on the front and back axles also. The CHF alone was one of the best suspension improvements I've made to the chassis. In addition, I also added a Roadmaster steering stabilizer and Koni Frequency Selective Dampner shock absorbers all around. Those suspension improvements finished my suspension improvements. The coach has been a pleasure to drive since.

leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswards View Post
I have read thread after thread, watched YouTube videos, scoured the web looking at all the various options. Can anyone please confirm that these parts would be good to go for a 2018 F53 chassis on the 32DS?

1) The Blue Ox website doesn't offer 2018 as an option, only 2017. I assume there are no changes for 2018 that would exclude this?
TruCenter Steering Control | Blue Ox | Blue Ox

2) CHF + Alignment planned

3) Sumo Springs, I see SSF-170-40-2 for the front. For the rear I have seen both SSR-187-54-1 and 187-40-1, but then others who say there is a special rear needed that's an inch or two shorter to fit?

OK to use Roadmaster Front Sway bar (1139-140) and Rear Sway Bar (1139-145) with the Blue Ox + Sumo Springs?
1> I did the Blue Ox True Center on my 2017 F53. I love it. I think you should call Blue Ox to ask about your 2018 F53.

2> I also did the CHF. CHF is done on the stock sway bars.

Maybe you should look at the Blue Ox Rear Trac Bar for your FR3 32DS to reduce tail wag.

Let us know what you come up with.
Retired: Alaska Army NG
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM   #4

I have read numerous threads regarding suspension and I get thoroughly confused. if the CHF is the way to go for better handling, why is it not performed at factory. I have been thinking of sumo springs for my 32DS, and installing steering stabilizer. I am sure that with all the intelligent members on this forum there could a conscience on the way to improve handling and ride. I am not being a smart _ _ _, just like to know the way to proceed before I spend lots of money on suspension upgrades.
wnewman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewman53 View Post
I have read numerous threads regarding suspension and I get thoroughly confused. if the CHF is the way to go for better handling, why is it not performed at factory. I have been thinking of sumo springs for my 32DS, and installing steering stabilizer. I am sure that with all the intelligent members on this forum there could a conscience on the way to improve handling and ride. I am not being a smart _ _ _, just like to know the way to proceed before I spend lots of money on suspension upgrades.
I knew I would need a steering stabilizer and had the dealer install mine. It was installed a week after I took delivery. I drove my FR3 about 200 miles without the Blue Ox TruCenter. I have now driven over 7,000 miles with the TruCenter. When I have a cross wind, I am able to recenter the steering with a push of the button. It was like hitting the cruise button. When a Big Rig passes in the opposite direction, the wiper blades will shake, but the FR3 does not even sway. I am glad I installed it.

CHF is a suspension adjustment on the Ford F53. I have a dip in the road to our subdivision that would cause a sway whenever I drove over it. After the CHF, the same dip didn't sway the FR3.

On my last Class C, I installed Firestone Ride-Rite Air Helper Springs. It helped to stiffen the suspension. It cut down on the sway but you could feel every bump in the road. My wife did not like the ride.

My FR3 28DS F53 suspension is designed for 18,000 lb. If I am not go over the 18,000 lb, I do not need helper springs. I want a smoother ride. I keep my tires at the recommended 82 PSI. My wife enjoys the smooth ride.

Just my two cents. Life is good when my wife is happy.
Retired: Alaska Army NG
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension