Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 03:27 PM   #1

Suspension Upgrade

Last month we took our FR3 30 DS on the longest trip since we've owned it.
I'm getting all the items fixed at the dealer soon... Furrion DVD, stripped bunk bolt, Captains chair arm, and a few other things.

Now the suspension.... has anyone done anything to up-grade their suspensions?

On my list are:

Blue Ox Steering Stabilizer
Blue OX rear trac-bar
Sumo Springs....
Bilstein Shocks or similar...

What have others done to improve the handling and the ride?
Days Camped 74
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:39 PM   #2

SUMO'S are King!

Definitely Sumo's and 4X4 btw! I put my set on last year(rear jacked up and in the rain...echhh) but these coupled with the rear torsion bar made any grief from passing trucks virtually seem to disappear! They are a quantum leap for you...just wait. Bilstein's only if you are at the pt. of needing new ones...I do know that the OEM crap that FR puts on are quite mushy tho!

Re the trac bar do know that Blue Ox does not have the corner of the market on these. You might shop around on the INet and compare price$ and pay
attention to the diameter of the bar which is paramount...thicker the better.

Sounds like you are on the right track! I understand that FR is now making
most of these things options when buying a new unit...finally...as everyone
on the blog kept bringing these up so this site pays off. Good luck and drive
safely. You'll certainly notice a diff. in the ride but that doesn't mean you
can start driving like Parnelli because of these things
Old 07-25-2016, 04:23 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply... what are the 4X4's?

I think the FR3 has Bilsteins on them now... I think I may try to see if I can find a better set though...
This last trip convinced me that every part of the suspension needs to be replaced before I ever take it on a long trip again.

Next year I want to run down to Moab but I'm afraid I'll never make it from here in Oregon.... Salt Lake freeways just about killed me in my 1-ton dulley last year...

The suspension is junk in my FR3
Days Camped 74
Old 07-25-2016, 06:18 PM   #4

We have a 2016 32ds and all I added was a safe t plus steering stabilizer. We are completing a 3500 mile east coast trip, and I must say the stability and handling has been great. 18 wheelers passing me on the i 95 have barely shifted my position. The only time handling was an issue, was in Grand island in Niagara Falls, the winds were very high and there was not much you can do, other than alow down.
Nsopti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:36 PM   #5
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

I did the CHF on our '14 30DS first and found much better handling in wind and passing trucks. I also dumped the Bilsteins and added Koni shocks and feel the ride is much better. The Safe T Plus stabilizer was also added. My next project is to add an additional sway bar assist to the rear to get less roll. I drove a friends 30DS with the added sway bar and could really feel the difference.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojump36 View Post
Thanks for the reply... what are the 4X4's?

I think the FR3 has Bilsteins on them now... I think I may try to see if I can find a better set though...
This last trip convinced me that every part of the suspension needs to be replaced before I ever take it on a long trip again.

Next year I want to run down to Moab but I'm afraid I'll never make it from here in Oregon.... Salt Lake freeways just about killed me in my 1-ton dulley last year...

The suspension is junk in my FR3
-----------

Sorry. I simply meant that you should put SUMO'S on at EACH corner of the unit for max. benefit(4 of them...). If you do them by yourself, which
I did, you will need to shim them into the slots with the help of some sort
of tool such as a large flat-head screw driver but once the end "pops" in
you will know it and are home safe. They appeared to be pretty tough
cookies as I thought for sure I was going to gouge them when trying to
get the remaining end under the lip, but never damaged them. All four in
and they work in unison very nicely, really damping lane shifts and other
oscillations that you encounter on the road. Maybe upgrade the Bilsteins
to a heavier version or go to Koni's, and get a good rear sway bar.
Bada Bing!! You'll notice the improvement immediately...
Old 07-26-2016, 01:04 PM   #7

What I dislike about the suspension the worst is the shocks I think... when we were driving I-90 in Montana, the roads had those cuts in them for expansion and contraction... Frost Heaving I think is what it is for... Anyway, every joint for 350 miles made my teeth want to jump out of my head.
I can deal with everything else... the wind is a problem I do agree with everyone on here, which is why I'm going to add a rear track bar and better sway bars or do the CHF. I'm doing the front stabilizer just because it would be less fatigue but the shocks and lack of rebound dampening is a deal breaker with this thing.
On almost every road here in Oregon, it isn't a problem. I know going into California it will be though and also Utah...

I'm still thinking the Sumo Springs, the CHF, the beefed up sway bar, a steering stabilizer, and track bar.... then the new shocks should make it as good as it can be.
I'm going to spend some money on this but it should ride the best it can.
Days Camped 74
Old 07-26-2016, 08:04 PM   #8

SUMO'S are King!

Dear 2Jump-
In retrospect, you "might" try this routine with the add-on's, esp. now that you've revealed where you've been driving up on I-90. Personally, I
would start with the SUMO's and NOT ADD any of the other stuff until you
see just how the SuperSprings work. They do tend to CUSHION the ride as the are in direct and constant contact between the axle's and the former
bump-stop holders...in fact they fill the gap where the former left a gap and only came into play when you really bottom out. Sumo's tho, are full-time
working and in unison!
The next step might be the upgraded shocks and see how that works
with the SuperSprings(SUMO's). That "might" be all you need at that point...dunno...tho. a sway bar on the rear axle(at least) will really defeat a lot of the rock-and-roll effects. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't get TOO overzealous in your plan to unrattle your teeth? You just might
stiffen things up so bad that you will magnify every little crack and bump
and it could work against you? Gotta find that sweet spot for YOUR particular unit...they are ALL different and have different rides. Can't rely
on what everyone advises about what they like as they all have different
chassis and suspensions(and weight loads) going. Consider that!! We know what you are trying to accomplish but please consider what I just said...LESS is MORE!? My Sprinter 3500 Solera has a very cush ride and
am happy just with the SUMO add-on's and the hefty sway bar on the back...both at speed on the highway and the backroads. Have test driven
other Chassis models before I purchased my Mercedes Sprinter with the diesel and am happy we stumbled into that. The others(v-10's, Thors, etc., et al, tho nice units were pretty unforgiving on the road...).
GOOD LUCK to you in your quest...git 'er done!
Old 07-27-2016, 09:59 AM   #9

We'll get those Sumo's on order real soon... I know what you are talking about...
This is a process and eventually I'll end up with what I like for my rig. The ride right now is unacceptable unless it is on updated roads. From my experience with Jeeps, you have to do things in a process in order to see what affect was achieved by the last modification. So you bring up a good point..
This is just a direction I'm going...
I don't think I've came close to "bottoming" my suspension... it seems pretty plush over small bumps in parking lots or around town / driveways and intersections, but at speed on a bumpy or pot holes in the road this thing becomes a different animal all together...
There appears to be zero rebound in the stock Bilsteins... they are brutal.
Some kind of shock.... the best I can find for the F-35
The Sumo's will go on 2nd $1,020
Then Roadmaster Rear Anti-Sway $$765

We'll see where we want to go from there.

Thanks for the advise
Days Camped 74
Old 07-27-2016, 10:09 AM   #10

King Sumo's...

Hey I wish you the best of luck and think you are on the right track. As you know I have the four Sumo's on board and the unit already came with the
RoadMaster rear sway(previous owner). RoadMaster puts out one of the
heftier sway bars...and they work. You'll see an appreciative diff. after these two steps. Afterthought re the Bilstien's...if you do change them I wonder
if a set of air adjustable shocks could help temper the ride yet more?
However, every set I bought for my Suburban many a moon ago always
seemed to end up leaking...just sayin...

Good luck and keep up updated!
Old 07-27-2016, 11:06 AM   #11

Short of a hovercraft RV I don't think it will ever drive the way we want. Even that it will drift. RV or money pit? I've learned they are the same. Oh what fun we have trying to tweak this ride. I would do it all over again though. Glutton for punishment I guess.

Oh yeah. Pixelbum1 You can never be "OVER EDUCATED" but some do lose their common sense!

DavidMPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:48 PM   #12

Before I spent any money, I did the CHF. That was two years ago. After that, I decided I didn't need any of the other items.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
Before I spent any money, I did the CHF. That was two years ago. After that, I decided I didn't need any of the other items.
I plan on the CHF but that's not going to fix the harsh front end.... At least I don't think it will... I'm looking to first fix that brutal front end then I'll work on the back...
Next year when I run through California, I know from the many times I've ran I-5 how bad it is in places... there and Utah from Ogden to Provo was incredibly bad... new freeways with one of the worst bridge expansion joints and freeway systems I've driven on.
Days Camped 74
Old 07-27-2016, 03:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMPDK View Post
Short of a hovercraft RV I don't think it will ever drive the way we want. Even that it will drift. RV or money pit? I've learned they are the same. Oh what fun we have trying to tweak this ride. I would do it all over again though. Glutton for punishment I guess.

Oh yeah. Pixelbum1 You can never be "OVER EDUCATED" but some do lose their common sense!

10-4! We all have heard the term Educated Idiots, right? Pretty much akin to what you stated above. Echhhh...must be a Liberal "thing"? Drive
safe! -pb
Old 07-27-2016, 06:06 PM   #15

Two jump, how much air is in you fronts? In the spring the guys at the oil change place pumped mine up to 100. I thought the camper was going to come apart. They are supposed to be at 83 on mine.
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAK View Post
Two jump, how much air is in you fronts? In the spring the guys at the oil change place pumped mine up to 100. I thought the camper was going to come apart. They are supposed to be at 83 on mine.
That's a good point... I have no idea really... but I thought my teeth were going to fall out of my head.

My wife actually had to go to sleep on the couch for most of the trip because she couldn't take it any longer.

Over inflated tires could be the reason for some of it...

I'll check it out and report...
Days Camped 74
Old 07-27-2016, 07:10 PM   #17

The following link should take you to my posting November 2015 relative to the suspension changes on our 2016 FR3 30DS including photos which included Safety-t-plus, Henderson rear trac bar, Road Master aux rear sway bar and Sumo Springs. Glad we did all 4 items and rides great. Our son and family are doing a tour of the 48 continues states and now have traveled 17,000 miles since January. They will end their trip mid-December and return to their home in Australia. Our son says that the FR3 handles great and is a pleasure to drive.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for....php?p=1038642

Jim Wiemels

Jim Wiemels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wiemels View Post
The following link should take you to my posting November 2015 relative to the suspension changes on our 2016 FR3 30DS including photos which included Safety-t-plus, Henderson rear trac bar, Road Master aux rear sway bar and Sumo Springs. Glad we did all 4 items and rides great. Our son and family are doing a tour of the 48 continues states and now have traveled 17,000 miles since January. They will end their trip mid-December and return to their home in Australia. Our son says that the FR3 handles great and is a pleasure to drive.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for....php?p=1038642

Jim Wiemels

That sounds like an awesome road trip your son is on....
Did you have a really harsh and jolting sensation in the front suspension?... like the shocks don't have any rebound?
Days Camped 74
Old 07-28-2016, 09:59 AM   #19

The last addition I made to our FR3 was the addition of the Sumo Springs and the main reason was the harsh front end ride on poor roads. I believe that the Sumo Springs made the most significant change of all the improvements and a dramatic improvement on ride quality especially front end. I had direct communication with the engineers on selecting the right Sumo Springs especially the rear where the FR3 has a welded bracket on right rear that affects the positioning of the SumoSpring brackets. If you have any other questions just let me know.

Jim Wiemels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wiemels View Post
The last addition I made to our FR3 was the addition of the Sumo Springs and the main reason was the harsh front end ride on poor roads. I believe that the Sumo Springs made the most significant change of all the improvements and a dramatic improvement on ride quality especially front end. I had direct communication with the engineers on selecting the right Sumo Springs especially the rear where the FR3 has a welded bracket on right rear that affects the positioning of the SumoSpring brackets. If you have any other questions just let me know.

If you had the part numbers for the Sumo's you bought that might help me... Or your contact at Sumo. I hate ordering things over the phone with no real knowledge of what I'm asking for. Speaking to a technician would be great.
That bracket you speak of in the right rear could present a problem, since I'm planning on installing these myself.
Days Camped 74

Tags
suspension, upgrade