Old 07-24-2017, 10:41 PM   #1

Swapping to colored Awning LED's?

My last "A" I installed colored LED awning lights on the sidewall of the coach, our FR3 came with the white led's installed but my grandkids really enjoyed the colored ones so I'm going to do a swap.

Some initial research yielded the wires run down the awning support then enter at the bottom so no drilling required, I need to run 4 wire in place of the red/black currently powering the white leds. I'm hoping my RF control (went with radio frequency over IR so I do not have to point at a sensor) box I purchased will fit into the awning arm near the top or somewhere there is space so I do not have to run the 4 wire the whole way down and under the coach. If it does I'll seal it up for waterproofing and use the current red/black current wires for my power at that point instead of under the coach.

Looks like the new led's should just slide into the current location of the white leds so I think I'm good there.

That is my "plan" anyways . . .

Now my question as I know my plan will probably change so I'm trying to think ahead. The box behind the passenger seat (pictured below) mine is carpeted I have seen others just plastic, is that covering the wire run from the outside to under the coach? I see in the wheel well where the wires come down underneath. If it is covering the outside to inside run how is it removed for access to aid in fishing the 4 wire through if I need to go that route?

As a last resort if both plans don't work and since what I have is working fine and I decide I don't want to tear into our new to us rig I'll just mount the colored leds on the underbelly for the kids to enjoy when they are with us.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mystery box.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	145958  

brucepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:38 AM   #2

My older 2014 had no under awning leds at all! I added an RF Color control myself and RBG STRIP and a matching unit under carriage so one control can handle BOTH lines. Note. Do not trust the adhesive these lights strips come with. Use 3m double sided quarter inch tape to ensure they stick.

As you already have a clean factory install I would not remove it. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1500985059.993637.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	145982i ran mine down into the porch light housing using the same hole. The leds are not on that switch. The power passes into the above closet radio hole. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1500985196.554692.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	145983. Where I was able to connect the receiver transmitter to D.C. You may not have that empty box on yours as in later models they moved the DVD radio to the dashboard.

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1500985262.547924.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	145984

The mystery box on my older model looks like this.

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1500985334.970105.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	145985

It covers up the power wires to the awning motor.

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1500985514.926862.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	145986Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1500985570.403611.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	145987

Under carriage lights run only from the battery door to the rear wheel well on the passenger side.

In the case in the under lights I ran my leds thru a clear plastic hose to water protect them, sealed the ends with silicone, then used wire clamps to secure the encased hose to the side wall base trim with stainless hardware and lock tite .

You have choices. You clearly have thought them thru. Good luck and have fun.

Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:27 AM   #3

I got some time to go out and explore some this morning and found out what is behind my "mystery box", where the wires go through my outside wall and took a picture of the wires at the top of the outside led now installed. The black/red paired wires are the feed to the existing white leds.

Looks like I can mount my controller under my mystery box, pickup my power from there, pull my four wires through the side wall and run them up to my new colored leds . . . so looks like it will be a rather simple project.

Only thing I have not checked out yet is the existing leds and how they fit into the existing track mounted under the awning. To me it appears they simply slide in the track and are not attached with adhesive. I am hoping they are the same width as the new colored leds so all I would need to do is slide the old out and new back in, solder the 4 wires, some heat shrink tape dab or two of sealant and the grandkids will be "Happy Campers"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20170725_095359_resized.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	145994   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170725_101455_resized.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	145995   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170725_101551_resized.jpg
Views:	64