Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2016, 01:15 PM   #1

tank heat for winter

My 2014 fr3 on the control panes for pump etc has one switch is labeled on off for tank heat. Nowhere in my service manuals or the people at the dealership can tell me what this means exactly. Which tanks heated? with elect or what and what degree of protection does this mean?
I would like to do some mild winter traveling but do not want tanks or lines to freeze up on me.
If anyone knows please clue me in.
Lfrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:17 PM   #2

oh there is separate switch for hot water heat so this is not switch for hot water heat.
Lfrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:18 PM   #3

We have tank heaters on our 2016 ROCKWOOD 2703WS and basically they are electric heating pads on the tanks (fresh, grey and black) to prevent freezing. They kick on and off at a certain temperature. I don't know when they become ineffective.

Marty
Old 08-23-2016, 02:43 PM   #4

The switch turns on the heaters that wrap the fresh water and waste tanks.
Albert1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:43 PM   #5

The heaters are electric.
Albert1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:48 PM   #6

Here is manual for my unit, probably same for yours.......
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tank Heater Pads ``Therma Heat``.pdf (2.98 MB, 267 views)
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:39 AM   #7
RJJ

tank heat for winter

The tank heaters protect you tanks, but not pipes or water pump, so depending on temperatures you may want to heat your bays, where your plumbing runs. I hang drop lights in the bays and have also added insulation to them. All depends on how cold for how long.

2015 Georgetown 329DS
2014 Chevy Equinox
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:04 AM   #8

Just like everyone said before me, they are heating pads that are under all the tanks and around the grey/black gate valves. They run on electric and wouldn't depend on them entirely to keep your system freeze-proof. You need to make sure you run your furnace, which the bathroom duct runs through this compartment and radiates some heat within. When it gets below 20F, I typically also keep the water heater on all the time. It'll also add some heat down below. Last winter, it got down to single digits over night and we did fine.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:54 PM   #9

When the switch is ON, these come on when temp falls below 45Fº and off when temp is above 67ºF. Also note the power used for each heater. If you are not plugged into a generator or shore power, your battery will not make it through 1 night. Unless you have multiple batteries.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:52 PM   #10

They kick on around 40 degrees and should kick off above that.
safrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by safrog View Post
They kick on around 40 degrees and should kick off above that.
Manual attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tank Heater Pads ``Therma Heat``.pdf (2.98 MB, 77 views)
Old 08-24-2016, 08:44 PM   #12

we have a 2015 cardinal 5th wheel. it has manual switches for tank heaters on the control panel. i assumed that these were simple on / off switches to turn the electricity on or off for the tank heater pads. my this i mean if the switch is on, the pad is heating. i manually turned them on when the temperature got low and then turned them off the following morning. but several comments above allude to a thermostat with the heating pad to actually turn the pad on or off. by this i mean to have the pad heating the manual switch must be on AND the temperature must be low enough to have the thermostat close the electric circuit. if this is true, why not just leave the manual switch on the control panel on and let the thermostat turn the heating pads on and off? i guess i should run a test. get a reading of amps being used with the manual switch of (and the temperature up over 60 or so. then turn it on and take a second amp reading. if there is no change in amps used then there must be a thermostat in the circuit. so is there one common thermostat that controls multiple heating pads or does each pad have its own thermostat?
Old 08-24-2016, 09:16 PM   #13
RJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
we have a 2015 cardinal 5th wheel. it has manual switches for tank heaters on the control panel. i assumed that these were simple on / off switches to turn the electricity on or off for the tank heater pads. my this i mean if the switch is on, the pad is heating. i manually turned them on when the temperature got low and then turned them off the following morning. but several comments above allude to a thermostat with the heating pad to actually turn the pad on or off. by this i mean to have the pad heating the manual switch must be on AND the temperature must be low enough to have the thermostat close the electric circuit. if this is true, why not just leave the manual switch on the control panel on and let the thermostat turn the heating pads on and off? i guess i should run a test. get a reading of amps being used with the manual switch of (and the temperature up over 60 or so. then turn it on and take a second amp reading. if there is no change in amps used then there must be a thermostat in the circuit. so is there one common thermostat that controls multiple heating pads or does each pad have its own thermostat?

This is according to the manual. I heat my bays anyway in freezing weather, but sounds like using tank heat on empty tanks is not a good idea.

When do you turn "off" the Heat Panels or the entire system?

OFF - when there is NO liquid in the tanks or pipes
OFF - when the outside temperature remains above freezing.
OFF - when the black and gray holding tanks and drain pipes are being dumped.
OFF - when the fresh water holding tanks and supply pipes are being drained for storage or empty.
OFF - when the RV is connected to city sewer and the gate valves are open (free draining is never recommended, especially in cold weather RVing) .

Heaters must be turned "off" when there is NO liquid present (empty), or when ambient temperatures rise and remain above freezing. Only the Holding Tank Models have built-in sensors designed to monitor the temperature of the liquid within the holding tank when powered “on”, it will power cycle the heat panel "on/off" to maintain the tank fluid contents between 44°F and 64°F (6.6°C - 17.8°C) and conserve power consumption. Pipe and Elbow heat panels are either "on" or "off" based on the manual switching position. The built-in sensors of tank models are very poor and not used to monitor the air in empty tanks, nor are the heat panels designed to operate in warmer temperatures. For this reason all UltraHeat® heat panels must be turned "off" when the holding tank systems have been vacated of fluids, or ambient temperatures rise and remain above freezing. We recommend each tank system (I.E. Black, Grey and Fresh) has a separate switch to control power independently, and suggest the integration of our Ambient Temperature Master Power control kit (info, click here).

Notice: Failure to observe criterias stated for when to power "on" or "off", could result in damage to the anti-icing system or tanks.

2015 Georgetown 329DS
2014 Chevy Equinox
Old 08-24-2016, 09:39 PM   #14

dear rjj, thank you. it appears that the manual you quoted from is from the heating pad manufacture. i have no idea what is actually installed in the trailer and there was no manual about tank heaters. it says to not turn on the heaters if the tank is empty. we have two grey tanks and one black tank. one grey tank is exclusively for the washer / dryer prep and does not get any waster water into as we do not have a washer / dryer. so..... if it gets cold i guess i need to pour water into it just to turn the heaters on for the other tanks. who would have thought. that's why i love the rv and this forum. even if you think you know something you then get a dose of how things actually are and you have to figure out an alternative.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:03 PM   #15
RJJ

I winter camp a lot and wanted to know how effective the heaters would be so tried to learn what I could about them. Glad it helped, I've learned a lot on the forum and have a lot left to learn. Lol

2015 Georgetown 329DS
2014 Chevy Equinox
Old 09-23-2018, 03:29 PM   #16

It is going t be in the low 30's here in Mammoth Lakes, California tonight for around 3 hours between 4-7am.

Should I get up early and turn on the tank heaters so they don't freeze?

Am on battery power and would only leave the tank heaters on for 3-4 hours max.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Dylvinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:45 PM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Low 30's for a few hours shouldn't be a problem. Remember, things don't freeze the instant it gets to 32°.

The tank heaters consume a lot of battery. I'd never use them unless connected to shore power or generator.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylvinia View Post
It is going t be in the low 30's here in Mammoth Lakes, California tonight for around 3 hours between 4-7am.

Should I get up early and turn on the tank heaters so they don't freeze?

Am on battery power and would only leave the tank heaters on for 3-4 hours max.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Even if the tanks are exposed I wouldn't bother with the tank heaters until the low 20's as long as the temperatures come back up above freezing for most of the day. Having said that, it may be a good idea to disconnect the freshwater hose tonight.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, winter