Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
Motoring

Tank Heater

The more we get to know our FR3, the more we find out the advice provided on our 3 hour walk through doesn't all add up.

Couple of things we heard that we'd like to verify:

1. The ladder on the back will only hold 150 pound person.
2. Mirrors are heated (not seeing any switch to turn on heated mirrors)
3. Back up camera, you will hear audio. Volume is up but not hearing anything pretty sure there's no microphone.
4. You should never turn on the tank heater when the water heater is on... Just have no idea what that was about.

Any feedback is helpful, particularly on #4. What exactly is the difference between tank heater and water heat (have a suspicion but would like to know from experience RV owners).

Thanks

Steve
grotto69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #2

Does it have power mirrors?
If it does look at the selector L/R switch is there another push down switch with a small green light there?
Old 10-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
1. I can't believe that the ladder is rated at only 150lbs. 250 sounds more reasonable and is what I think mine is. You'd better double check, but I think there was a misunderstanding.
2. I "think" what was meant was to not turn on the hot water heater without water in it. If you turn on the electric heater without water you can burn the element out in a very short period of time.
3. Don't know about the other 2 questions.
Good Luck with your new FR3. All these rigs have bugs that need to get fixed and you are on that path.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
DW's 401(k) Plan

On most vehicles, heated mirrors work when the defroster is activated. At least that's the way my Jeep GC and my Chevy HHR worked.

Perhaps the water heater and tank heater are on the same circuit and if both are on, the breaker will trip?

Ladder should be able to handle up to 250#.

No idea on the audio for the backup camera. But, it "sounds" (sorry for the pun) like something is missing or disconnected.

Larry

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grotto69 View Post
The more we get to know our FR3, the more we find out the advice provided on our 3 hour walk through doesn't all add up.

Couple of things we heard that we'd like to verify:

1. The ladder on the back will only hold 150 pound person.
2. Mirrors are heated (not seeing any switch to turn on heated mirrors)
3. Back up camera, you will hear audio. Volume is up but not hearing anything pretty sure there's no microphone.
4. You should never turn on the tank heater when the water heater is on... Just have no idea what that was about.

Any feedback is helpful, particularly on #4. What exactly is the difference between tank heater and water heat (have a suspicion but would like to know from experience RV owners).

Thanks

Steve
Not sure that the mirrors are heated. They are not power, and Furd ties the power/heat together in most vehicles. Not saying you cant get power mirrors without heat, but the wiring for the elements is there. Its a common wiring harness. FR has stated that the chassis is not wired for power mirrors.

On the tank heater, I have no clue what they are talking about. The hot water heater is propane, and tank heaters are electric pads to keep them from freezing. FWIW, I ran mine simultaneously at the track this weekend.
cucamelsmd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #6

The hot water heater is probably both propane and 110v electric. Don't, I repeat, Don't turn on the electric side, as stated above, without water in the heater because the element will burn out in a matter of seconds. If you don't know where the switch is for the electric side, look at your paperwork for the heater and/or ask here, on your particular rig.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #7

Hot water heater is propane only.
cucamelsmd15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, tank