Old 10-30-2017, 02:12 AM   #1

Thermostat below 60 F?

Is there anyway to lower the thermostat below 60. That’s a lot of propane to keep pipes from freezing if no one is in the RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1993.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	332.7 KB
ID:	155314  

KRas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:06 AM   #2

According to the Attwood manual that's the lowest you can set it to.

Might want to look into other thermostats. Not sure they will preserve the auto fan speed feature though and you would give up being able to see error codes.

babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:04 AM   #3

A lot of your pipes arent going to be protected by the internal thermostat. If you are leaving it out doors for winter winterize it.

If you need this consider thermal pipe tape that plugs in or some other source of heat for the unit.
KY25DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY25DS View Post
A lot of your pipes arent going to be protected by the internal thermostat. If you are leaving it out doors for winter winterize it.

If you need this consider thermal pipe tape that plugs in or some other source of heat for the unit.
We've done it the past two years with no issues especially when we have trips between Thanksgiving/Christmas breaks. On the 30DS, I believe the rear duct that goes to the bathroom goes through under belly bay, therefore adds radiant heat to that compartment.

I think where people get into trouble is by using small electric space heaters in the coach, without the furnace moving the air around underneath. If its going to be a hard freeze, we also leave the water heater on. The radiant heat from this will add additional heat to the under bay. We don't have that Atwood thermostat, but its odd it can't be set lower. Maybe someone knows a trick.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:15 PM   #5

As a former Atwood tech, the lowest it will go is 60. The only way you are going to get it lower is find a 12 vdc thermostat, and wire that directly into the 2 blue wires on the furnace. The Atwood AC needs a pulsed signal so finding a residential thermostat that will run the AC is near impossible.
GeorgetownJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgetownJeff View Post
As a former Atwood tech, the lowest it will go is 60. The only way you are going to get it lower is find a 12 vdc thermostat, and wire that directly into the 2 blue wires on the furnace. The Atwood AC needs a pulsed signal so finding a residential thermostat that will run the AC is near impossible.
Hey Jeff!

Could we just put a 12Vdc thermostat on the furnace and then run the furnace strictly off the batteries/12vdc?

Thanks in advance, Garth
Old 10-30-2017, 12:56 PM   #7

Hi Georgetown Jeff,

Do you know where can I find on-line a manual for the thermostat pictured in this thread?

I'd like to read the manual before I assume the thermostat isn't working correctly. It certainly isn't working the way I'd like for it to work.

The issues I see are:
1. With the furnace toggle set to OFF, the heat pump doesn't come on until the thermostat is set to 11 degrees above the internal temperature. 60 degrees inside and furnace toggle set to OFF and set-temperature at 71 degrees (OR ABOVE). Then the heat pump will come on.
2. With the furnace toggle set to OFF, the furnace still comes on when the set-temperature is at 60 and the internal temperature is 55.

I'm trying to find a way to use the heat pump instead of propane.
McCormickJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY25DS View Post

I have never "winterized" my Cedar Creek. I leave the heat pump set on 42 degrees and the gas heat set on 40. The heat pump will default to the gas heat anyway at about 35 degrees outside temperature. The ducted air from the gas furnace keeps everything from freezing and I am always ready to go somewhere without flushing water lines.

My black and grey tanks are generally empty at home, or very close to it. The fresh water tank is usually 1/2 full to very full. You can turn your tank heat pads on and leave them on if you like but I never do unless it gets to the low teens. They will only power up when the temperature drops to around 35 and cut back off around 40. They will not be hurt or damage a dry tank by coming on.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:38 PM   #9

Goofy, all you need is an old school bimetal t stat and wire it inline between the 2 blue wires. Polarity is not sensitive on the old school bi metal ones. Atwood should still make one for heat only. Or go to your local home improvement store and find one that will go down as low as you want. Just remember, if your only heating to let's say 40 degrees instead of 60, the furnace is going to run more often. The furnace is a single speed so it will not run as long to get up to temp, it will run more often. If you are doing this purely to save propane, I don't know how much your going to save.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:45 PM   #10

Jim, hate to say it, but what your explaining, it sounds about right. Remember, your heat pump is going to be real finicky below 50. Blame the Aussies that programed it for that. There is an interrogation mode that let's you bring that parameter down to let the heat pump run to a lower temp, but you really start taking a risk of freezing the compressor and damaging it like that. Call Atwood, and they should be able to talk you through doing it.

Tags
thermostat