Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2017, 11:44 PM   #1

Timbren Springs

Which in your opinion would be better Sumo Springs or Timbren...I have done the cheap handling fix and been thinking of putting the springs on for more sway control.
lazbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:48 AM   #2

Post #9 here. With Pics

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...er-135226.html

I went sumo springs as they sit off the axle 1" or so. I read the timbrens give a jarring ride when unloaded and you hit a bump.

These are softer I believe and more progressive.

Im towing to PA with these sunday 3 hours. I only tested them a few miles locally with the trailer.

But preliminary ride the truck dont roll like it did. I dont get sway though.

I had sag in the back but the springs were doing thier job Im sure. Thing is that pic with the sag was fully loaded just leaving for florida. I can say I was at the Max for the truck.

Ill let you know my final decision on them.

Also on my prliminary ride I may have noticed bounce off the bumps when I did not have that before. But not sure.

Because now im springboarding off rubber stops and not a loaded down leaf spring.

Im not sure if an add a leaf would have been better. ( Super spring)

Like I said ill know more after next weekend when I return home.
Lawrosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:43 AM   #3

Thanks for the input...be waiting for how you like the sumos after your trip
Old 08-12-2017, 05:57 AM   #4

I did air bags on the front of the 25DS. World of difference. Adding the rear set this winter. I can fully adjust while running down the road. I did the AirLift system and now have onboard air compressor for tires too . The short wheel base of the 25DS was super harsh at first...CHF helped but airbags made it a 2 finger drive with no harshness on any bump.
KY25DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:27 AM   #5

I put Timbrens on mine and no squat at all with 2400 lbs. of pin weight.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazbo View Post
Thanks for the input...be waiting for how you like the sumos after your trip

Well as stated here is the before pic fully loaded. No sumo springs and you see the sag.

I tried to recreate the same parking lot leaving for PA fully loaded with sumo springs installed.

Really no sag at all. with 740 lbs TW with 200lbs or so transfered with WD hitch.

The ride was pretty outstanding with firm footing on the highway doing 75 mph.

Hitting bridge dips produced one bounce in rear then dampened. Unlike leaf springs only where you would get a few extra oscillations of the rear of the truck.

Best improvment noticed was the roll of the truck in turns such as entering and exiting highways. High speed off ramps can be taken at speed as the rear of the truck no longer rolls. Its firm and positive footing.

I can whip the truck and trailer left and right if needed with no fear of the death sway starting. ( Never had that but just calling it something so ya know what I mean. LOL)

Ive never really had an issue with trucks passing with push pull syndrome, and if I did it was ever so slight.

Its non exsistant with these sumos.

And as said the unhitched ride is unaffected becuase they sit 1 " or so off the axle. But unloaded if I crank into a turn hard the sumo will en-gauge and keep the truck from rolling to one side.

Its a long truck @ 153"

Im happy with the purchase.

Here are sumos installed. Unloaded and loaded.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:30 PM   #7

Wow I am impressed...thank you for your input....it will help me down the road picking which one I want.I did a chf and that really helped and recambered the front as well as an alignment.Just have to get my motorhome going down the road with handling not a concern.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:14 PM   #8

I went with the timbren helpers for my rig. The first ones were 8600 lbs but we're way too much! I called them and they sent me 5400 lb models. What a wonderful difference! The truck rides the same with or without the trailer. If we fill the water tank clear full it firms up the ride a little. Our setup:
2014 Silverado double cab 262 cubic inch v6.
2016 Rockwood 2504s.
No WDH.
Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:34 PM   #9

These sumos for the silverado 1500 are only 1000 lbs units @ 50% compression.

More then enough for me..
Old 08-20-2017, 07:42 PM   #10

At the time I bought the timbrens I didn't know anything else was out there. I don't know how they arrived at the 8600 and 5400 numbers. I do know that they looked the same but I could compress the 5400 but not the 8600 with my hand a little. I am glad there are other options out there. Jay.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote