Old 09-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
Motoring

Tips & Pointers Newbie FR3 Rv'er

Hi. We are a first time buyer, and just locked in FR3 30DS (picking it up in a few weeks). I have never even driven an RV before, much less a Class A. I'm open for any pointers that anyone has on safety, things to know/remember, what to do and what not to do. If anyone has anything to share.

Thanks!

Old 09-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by grotto69 View Post
Hi. We are a first time buyer, and just locked in FR3 30DS (picking it up in a few weeks). I have never even driven an RV before, much less a Class A. I'm open for any pointers that anyone has on safety, things to know/remember, what to do and what not to do. If anyone has anything to share. Thanks!
Grotto,
One thing you might consider, depending on the distance to your dealer, is to have the unit delivered to your house. It will be easier to drive around on roads you know while you are getting familiar with it.
The FR3 is really easy to drive, probably the nicest driving RV I have ever piloted. It is likely wider than anything you have driven so keep that in mind but don't obsess about it, it's not that much of an an issue. The large semi trucks are going to seem very close.....they are. Stay in the center of your lane or fade over a bit if you can when the big rigs pass. Looking way down the road instead of 10' feet in front of the rig will help.
I find that I need to stay more to the left of the lane than what feels normal. This was a huge issue in the Monaco 38 footer we just sold, not so much in the FR3. Watch the left side lines in your mirror and compare to the right and you will find your visual "markers" to key off of when looking down the road. Some folks find a reference point on the dashboard to use as a sighting point for the highway lines if that's helpful.
Be aware of the fact that it's tall. Watch for low branches and such, especially when going through campgrounds and parking in your spot. It's easy to focus on not hitting anything with the bumpers but remember to have a spotter watch the roofline, remind them because they won't naturally think to do so. There are three cameras and you can manually switch views so it's pretty easy to see everything down low from the drivers seat.
Don't be in a hurry. It's a big rig and accelerates really well but just cruise and take your time, leave plenty of following distance and ignore the folks that are in a hurry. You will get cut off and people will be frustrated.........don't worry about it, just drive your own pace.
It's going to be a bit nerve racking for a while but pretty soon you will get used to it and actually enjoy driving it.

Hope I didn't freak you out and hopefully some others will post things I forgot.

Good luck and safe travels to you!

Old 09-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
Motoring

Hey thinks, good to know. Can't wait to get behind the wheel!!!
Old 09-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grotto69 View Post
Hey thinks, good to know. Can't wait to get behind the wheel!!!
Congratulations on your new RV. My advice is to have fun and enjoy it. Having a RV is always a learning process and when we make a mistake we don't normally do it again. Enjoy !

Tags