Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2015, 08:42 PM   #1
Motoring

Tire Pressure

For the seasoned RV owners, do you have an general guidelines on tire pressure?

I am getting the sense that it needs to be checked before each trip? Is that about right? Does the tire pressure on an RV change often - we just had an oil change 2 months ago.

Also, with a car you can generally tell by looking if the pressure is too low, but with an RV (FR3 30DS) I see some tires slightly bulging and others are not - park somewhere else and you get a different perspective.

I am fine to check the pressure before every trip if I need to, but looking at the tire pressure guidelines in the RV it's a chart that requires you to consider weights - I don't know what the weight is exactly.

Also, on the rear tires, I only see one valve - how do you check the inside tires pressure?

I have a compressor, so I can adjust at home or take it with me.

Appreciate all comments and tips.

Steve
grotto69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:23 PM   #2

You really need to check air pressure before any trip for SAFETY. The tag in your coach has a recommended pressure. If you "read" your tires center wear is too much pressure and edges is too little pressure. The best is to error to the higher pressure side. Higher pressure is better for fuel economy and lower operating temperatures. Lower temperatures create higher temperatures that will cause failures. The one drawback of higher pressures is harder ride characteristics. Higher pressure takes some of the body roll out.
Grumpy Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:31 PM   #3
Motoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Guy View Post
You really need to check air pressure before any trip for SAFETY. The tag in your coach has a recommended pressure. If you "read" your tires center wear is too much pressure and edges is too little pressure. The best is to error to the higher pressure side. Higher pressure is better for fuel economy and lower operating temperatures. Lower temperatures create higher temperatures that will cause failures. The one drawback of higher pressures is harder ride characteristics. Higher pressure takes some of the body roll out.
Thanks for the info.

What do you mean by, "Lower temperatures create higher temperatures that will cause failures"?

regards,

Steve
grotto69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:44 PM   #4

The general method for arriving at good tire pressure involves getting the weight of your rig. Preferably, for motorhomes, the weight at all 4 corners. If you cannot get the individual 4 corner weights, at least get the weight of the front-end, then the back-end, and finally the entire coach. When you weigh it, you should have everything loaded that you are normally going to take, including fuel, water, propane, clothes, dishes, food, etc.

Then, after having these weight figures, you can go to the tire manufacturer's web site. Most of the manufacturers put tables on the web that give you the weight vs tire pressure for all their tires. So comparing your actual weight figures to the charts will give you the ideal tire pressure.

The next step is to consult your weight ratings of the coach. You should be able to find the total weight rating of your axles. Obviously, your weight figures should be less than the axle ratings. If not, you are either going to remove some items or rearrange them.

At this point, you know what is the minimum tire pressure you need to run at. From there, you can adjust the pressure up to the maximum pressures as stated on your factory sheet. I always carry about 5 pounds more pressure than my calculations showed to allow for error and last minute items added to my load (forgot the beer?).

There are many places where you can get your coach weighed. I use a moving and storage company near my house that has a scale. A lot of truck stops have weigh stations so the OTR drivers can be sure their rig is under weight.
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:44 PM   #5

I am sorry missed it on the proof read. Lower pressure will create higher temperatures. Also tires are pricey and easy to maintain
Grumpy Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:44 PM   #6

set the tire pressure in the morning to the recommended tire pressure on the wall behind your head which I believe is 82PSI

you have to remove the hubcaps on the rear

unless you think something is wrong, enjoy your vacation and don't worry about the tire pressures

I have checked my tire pressures when I changed the oil and they never varied enough to worry about

2014 JEEP WRANGLER WILLYS
Bobb36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:15 AM   #7

Checking tire pressure regularly even on a trip saved me from a tire failure. I was 10 psi low looked found screw in tire. Got it patched for $38 and only delay me 1 hour. I also use a Lazar thermometer to check tire temperature at fill ups and rest stops.
StephanFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:23 AM   #8

Old salty fireman and truckers use a hammer to hit tire, a duller sound can indicate lower pressure in a tire. Not as reliable and only works if only one tire is low, as you are comparing sounds. It's better than nothing, and an experienced driver can be good at it. The best and safest is a tire monitoring system.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:25 AM   #9

Oh and cheap valve extensions cause leaks.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:26 AM   #10

Oh, and cheap valve extensions cause leaks.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanFR3 View Post
Oh and cheap valve extensions cause leaks.
If you get the airless valve extenders you wouldn't need to worry about it air leaking.
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:40 PM   #12
Certified Curmudgeon

If you put alligator caps on you don't need extenders and you don't need to remove the "simulators" (aka wheel covers). If you decide to install a valve mounted TPMS you will need a 120* or so airless elbow for the outer dually or braided hoses.

http://www.alligator-ventilfabrik.de...bleSealCap.pdf
Old 11-22-2015, 01:05 PM   #13

As a retired equipment operator I'm not a strong advocate of add-on valve extenders. I find that they have a tendency to slow leak. When you screw off the valve caps or TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitor System) they unscrew also "causing leaks". The first thing I do as #1 mod is buy the correct single metal extension valve stems and have the tires broke down and installed. This not only makes it easier to check pressure and add air but gives a lot better support for the TPMS. They now extend well beyond the hub caps.

DavidMPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:42 AM   #14

Does anyone use and/or have a tire monitoring system installed? Thanx...
The Bratmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bratmobile View Post
Does anyone use and/or have a tire monitoring system installed? Thanx...
Yes Lots,Do a Search at Top Days of Reading! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:10 AM   #16

Yes, I have a system on my TT. It provides continuous air pressure and tire temp on a small screen suction cupped to the dash. I don't remember the brand name and the TT is in storage. The only thing I'd do differently is buy the type that allows air to be added "thru" the individual monitors on each wheel. I have to unscrew each monitor to add air, then replace it after airing up the tire, which is sometimes a bit inconvenient. For less than $400, I get a lot of piece of mind with my system so I'd definitely purchase them again.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:03 PM   #17

The valve you see in the rear is most likely the extension for the inner tire. Look in the slots on the wheel cover for the outer tire valve.
welder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire