Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2016, 12:32 PM   #1

Tire Pressure Check & Inflate

Prepping the bus for this weekend, loading up the bikes and putting my bicycle pump in one of the storage bins, thinking "HEY !!!"

Luckily our 2015 28DS came with inner dually wheel valve extenders that work perfectly fine. Topped all 6 tires to an even 80psi (cold). Double checked with an accurate gauge afterwards, same measurements. Good workout btw

PS. Please throw out that POS 1 1/8 socket wrench that came with the RV, and get a 1 1/8 socket (Sears, $7.99) for your 1/2" breaker bar to easily remove the hub covers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire002.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	709.3 KB
ID:	121508   Click image for larger version

Name:	tire001.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	766.6 KB
ID:	121509  
DutchRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:20 AM   #2

I'm pretty sure that's for removing the Hotwater rod and not the lugs on the tires
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by colourful64 View Post
I'm pretty sure that's for removing the Hotwater rod and not the lugs on the tires
Could be!

Though, I want to believe that FR included a tool to perform regular maintenance such as keeping tires properly inflated, rather than to include a tools to replace a part that 1) should last a few seasons with light/proper use and 2) most people without too much DYI skills won't dare to replace.

I think socket size for my rod is 1 1/16
DutchRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:23 PM   #4
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchRv View Post
Could be!

Though, I want to believe that FR included a tool to perform regular maintenance such as keeping tires properly inflated, rather than to include a tools to replace a part that 1) should last a few seasons with light/proper use and 2) most people without too much DYI skills won't dare to replace.

I think socket size for my rod is 1 1/16
That tool (if you want to call it that, lol) is for the hubcap lug caps. Like most, I use a 1 1/8" socket on my Makita impact wrench to take of and on. The torque on the Makita is just enough to do the job.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:05 PM   #5

I purchased the Crossfire system. Has one valve for filling both tires, tire pressure equalizes. One hub-mounted sensor that warns if tires are over or under inflated. $56 per side, expensive but worth it to me.
dagcodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:57 AM   #6

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1475215019.890846.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	121682. Is this what you speak of?
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:54 AM   #7

Yes, I bought the 80lb option.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:18 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagcodad View Post
I purchased the Crossfire system. Has one valve for filling both tires, tire pressure equalizes. One hub-mounted sensor that warns if tires are over or under inflated. $56 per side, expensive but worth it to me.

As a tire engineer I do not understand the value of Crossfire. It is easy to set a pair of tires to same pressure +/- 1 psi.

Crossfire does not warn you when one tire starts to leak. What it does is lower the pressure in the good tire while the leaker continues to leak. Yes the cross fire is suppose to stop the air transfer after a while but it does nothing to actively warn the driver that one tire is leaking and the "good" tire is being overloaded.

You can end up driving on one flat tire and its mate being 100% overloaded, so now you have two scrap tires and still are bopping down the highway blissfully unaware of what is happening 30' to your rear.

A good TPM system will warn you of a tire leak in a dual. It will also warn you of a leak on a front tire which can be much more serious. Crossfire does nothing for your front tires.

An investment of about $300 - $400 for 6 tire monitoring can pay for itself with a single activation and warning. I don't even have to get out in the rain to look at some indicator before starting my travel day. My TPMS can be set to give me current pressure in the AM while I sip my coffee when still in my PJs.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:01 AM   #9

Cross Fire

I purchased the Cross Fire system because it allows me to visually see that the pressure is correct. You are correct, if one tire leaks, both tires will eventually go flat. In the event of a puncture while driving, you will eventually end up with two flat tires. My thought process was to maintain correct pressure in the rear tires under NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES, for a reasonable price. Since I always do a walk-around to be sure all appears to be in order before going on the road, a quick glance beats pulling out the tire gauge. I also appreciate being able maintain pressure in both tires will one fill valve, as I have neuropathy in my hands and filling both tires individually is difficult for me! The monitoring systems you suggest provide a much better real time solution but at 3 to 4 times the expense. That is not what I was looking for!
It is important to note that no system alerts the driver to a road hazaed blowout. Bad things do happen.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:53 AM   #10

Cross Fire

Full disclosure here. Because of my health limitations, I paid a national tire franchise $95 to install the Cross Fire system. They removed and re-aligned the outer tire on both sides to facilitate connection of the common filler valves. Did not require re-balancing and took less than an hour. Not sure I could have done it myself, even without my health limitations.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:53 PM   #11

I would recommend people pay attention to Tireman9's post, he was right on point with everything he said. I understand the convenience of the Fire Cross System, but it will loose it's value if you find yourself on the side of the road with two destroyed tires. My TPM System reduces the labor and gives me peace of mind.
Las Cruces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:11 AM   #12

Cross Fire

So those with more experience have spoken! We are certainly fortunate to have input from so many experienced contributors, thanks to all.

Should anyone learn of a known failure with the Cross Fire system, please let me know as I would love to learn the "how and why" to prevent problems.

Thanks again for your time and input!

Tags
pressure, tire