Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #1

Tire Valve Extenders

Does anyone have extenders on the outer real wheels? It is almost impossible to check tire pressure without removing the wheel covers. The inner extenders are fine.
JerseyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #2

Got the wheel covers off using a 1-3/16. Valves are steel. Has anyone used extenders for these?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-413699604.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	42687
Old 03-05-2014, 05:54 PM   #3

I'm waiting for mine to come back from service, but I definitely want to find out as well. I was actually under the impression that it came with valve extenders. At least that is what the dealers site said.
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #4

Only the inside tire on your rear tires come with valve stem extenders. They recommend you get a "u" shaped valve stem extender for the outer tire as the valve stem on that tire faces toward the inside tire. I don't know why they don't put them on those tires. I specifically asked them if they would do that and they said "no". Also asked if they would install an exterior jack for a portable satellite like they do on their 5th wheel units and was again told "no". They don't do any special requests because it slows down the assembly line. I hope it doesn't take a drop in FR3 sales to get them to rethink that position. Seems a shame to have to take your brand new unit to a dealer to have them cut holes and pull wires, etc. when it could have been done at the factory when the walls were already opened up! Other than that we love our FR3.
Gem Hunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #5

Mine came with two additional extenders for those that I plan on installing when I get mine back from service.
cucamelsmd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #6

I found the u-shaped extenders on Amazon.com. I've ordered them, will post pics when the get here.

Mandoholic and Bassbabe

2014 FR3 30DS

Salem, Oregon
Mandoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:32 PM   #7

I Bought a set of the U shaped 130 degree valve stem extensions but I could not install them because the opening in the tire rim was too small to get my fingers in the hole to and at the same time hold the valve stem extension in place while I screwed the extension on. Maybe someone else will have better luck. Very frustrating!!!!! Ahhh!!,,,,,
Old 03-09-2014, 06:03 PM   #8

I took off the wheel covers and I was able to install them. That was after dropping them several times and then moving the MH a few feet forward so that I could get them from between the tires. The little extra effort in the beginning could have saved some frozen hands and some very bad language.

Hopefully Spring will come to New Jersey soon...
Old 03-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #9

Took mine to a truck roadside service place and they replaced all valve stems with custom bent ones for $100. Extenders will leak. Now I can air
my tires without even touching the wheel covers.
strangerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:03 AM   #10

Caution, We were returning home after two months in California and Arizona this last Monday. My wife wanted a Starbucks so we stopped in Moab Utah at a City Market. I decided to top off the. tank on our 07' Georgetown.On my walk around I discovered the outside left rear dual was nearly flat 20 psi or less. I was able to air it up and drove to a nearby tire shop. The tire pressure in 10 minutes dropped to 50 from 80. The extender was leaking,it is less than a year old.I was told that their most common problem with big rig tires is leaking extenders. The tech suggested throwing them away and removing the cover to get at the stems each time.I hate to think what might have happened had the inside dual not been carrying the weight along the canyon roads we'd just travelled. FYI our rig extenders were attached to the rims with clamps that was part of the issue as the clamps tend get loose as you drive.
RANGERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangerj View Post
Took mine to a truck roadside service place and they replaced all valve stems with custom bent ones for $100. Extenders will leak. Now I can air
my tires without even touching the wheel covers.
I'm liking this idea. I'm seeing losses so I got the TST tire pressure monitoring system (TM-507SE). I have it installed on my dually's (4 sensors) and having trouble getting them on the front. I'm thinking the custom bent valves may solve my problem. I wish I had known about them before I got the extenders.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:26 AM   #12

Amen. We were told that the extenders were a back up to the valve cores but had the same experience with a low tire due to the extender leaking. Our solution was a new extender but we've become a lot more vigilant on tire checking. Our normal operating mode is to change drivers every hour (or closest rest stop thereto) and it now requires a visual on the tires in addition to the toad
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:32 AM   #13
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Check this website: Tire-Man: Products

Bought some from there for my RAM Dually and they are fantastic. They replace your current valve stems with the longer for the inner and curved for the outer so they come out of the same hole for servicing. $135.00 for the complete kit....
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy View Post
I took off the wheel covers and I was able to install them. That was after dropping them several times and then moving the MH a few feet forward so that I could get them from between the tires. The little extra effort in the beginning could have saved some frozen hands and some very bad language.

Hopefully Spring will come to New Jersey soon...
This may sound like a dumb question, but how do you take the wheel covers off? I assume I'd have to remove all the lug nuts?
Old 04-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #15

Don't you have a inbound coaxial jack for rig in rear storage compartment driver side near power converter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forest River Forums mobile app
StephanFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:17 PM   #16

That is for gem hunters first post.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #17

I assume you are referring to the cable tv outlet located in the outside compartment. Yes I do have that outlet. However I have been advised by numerous satellite tv providers that they do not recommend that you try to connect your satellite feed to this cable tv outlet. That is why on the trailers and 5th wheel rigs Forest River manufacturers they install a special outlet specifically for portable satellite tv antennas in addition to the cable tv outlet. They look the same but are not the same.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #18

Concerning the question of how do you remove your wheel cover. The answer is to remove the decorative lug nut looking bolts. These only hold on your wheel cover and not the tires. You should have received a special small looking lug nut tool with your FR3 for this specific purpose. Good luck!
Old 04-24-2014, 04:48 PM   #19

Hey gem, I not being smart, but what is different in a coax connection. Does the satellite use 2 cables? Do you have a link to the site that you're referring to? I don't have a satellite, so I'm just curious.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanFR3 View Post
Hey gem, I not being smart, but what is different in a coax connection. Does the satellite use 2 cables? Do you have a link to the site that you're referring to? I don't have a satellite, so I'm just curious.

I have a lot of satellite experience. If you start a new topic I can answer your questions
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote