Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2016, 05:27 PM   #41
edm

Rv pilot, I have a 2016 fr3 and have over 40 items that needed repair. The best thing i can tell you is get ahold of your FR3 factory warranty person and register your complaints with him. I did that and got very good results and all but one issue finished, waiting on one more thing and we are done. We also like the rig and are going to keep it for a long time.
By the way a lot of the smaller items i repaired myself and keept the dealer out of it.
Good luck and happy camping.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:57 AM   #42

We've been out 6 times to trips to the Oregon Coast or around the Northwest so far... 11 nights... the first trip was just some normal stuff... P-traps in the bathroom were unconnected, and one of the blinds wouldn't stay up.
On one other trip, the TV went out, the heater quit, and we had a flame-out on the hot water heater...'
Everything was fixed to my approval the first time with our dealer.
This last weekend we had an epic trip to Newport at the Oregon Coast and again, everything worked just fine.
Days Camped 74
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:11 PM   #43
from Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by edm View Post
Rv pilot, I have a 2016 fr3 and have over 40 items that needed repair. The best thing i can tell you is get ahold of your FR3 factory warranty person and register your complaints with him. I did that and got very good results and all but one issue finished, waiting on one more thing and we are done. We also like the rig and are going to keep it for a long time.
By the way a lot of the smaller items i repaired myself and keept the dealer out of it.
Good luck and happy camping.

Thanks, I think I'll do that. I've also given up on the dealer on some of the things and decided to permanently fix them myself. One is the overhead bunk with some help from the forum it will not be falling again…

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1456160935.731794.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  90.7 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1456160968.907286.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  102.8 KB

Now during my five day trip up to the mountains "in the snow" my heater went out. Call the dealer and he told me at least he was starting to schedule appointments for March. 🙄

2015 FR3 30DS
Central Coast of California
Central Coast of California
RV Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:44 AM   #44

Beginning to concur with you! Shower only dribbled this weekend and the bunk no longer works. One thing after another with the FR3 line.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:04 AM   #45

I mentioned in another thread about just having gone to the RV show in Harrisburg and was very disappointed with the quality of the FR3 that was on display. There were misaligned cabinets, broke or bent trim pieces, just poor workmanship overall for a brand new unit.
Carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:54 AM   #46

Not unlike the Auto industry a few years ago. They built junk and we kept buying it. No reason for them to change. Then the economy changed and imports came in. All of a sudden Q became a big issue. Todays vehicles are double the quality of the 80's and far less money when adjusted for inflation and function. The RV industry has been buffered from imports and sales and only take a hit slightly with fuel pricing. Since Q is NOT a big sales issue nothing much will change. Lack of automation in the actual RV structure is another big Q issue. No build consistency. ("Quality" = "Adherence to Specifications". With almost no automation or good processes, you can't achieve optimum quality.)
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
EE, IBMer, Race Car Builder, now Retired.
Jim Schings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:19 PM   #47

We love ours. I was super frustrated at first, but got all the small things worked out and we're rolling, just adding personal touches/preferences now. Just got back and can't wait to get back out.

Antone

2015 Forest River FR3 30DS - No Ragrets

Toad - 2011 Jeep Wrangler
Antone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:55 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antone View Post
We love ours. I was super frustrated at first, but got all the small things worked out and we're rolling, just adding personal touches/preferences now. Just got back and can't wait to get back out.

Antone

Same with me Antone. I was without my 2015 30DS for a total of 112 days the first year due to various service issues. But between Mike Thompsons RV Sante Fe Springs service department, personal phone contacts with Forest River FR3 division in Indiana, patience and perseverance every single deficiency was corrected to my satisfaction. Per California "lemon law" I had those 112 days without my coach added on to my 1 year warranty. I even had items replaced beyond that under warranty. Currently enjoying Bolsa Chica and then on to Bullhead City-Laughlin-Colorado River next week.
Happy trails to everyone!
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:35 AM   #49

Who granted you additional days on your warranty Forest River or Mike Thompsons ?
FR3 Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:54 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR3 Don View Post
Who granted you additional days on your warranty Forest River or Mike Thompsons ?

If you had your coach serviced by MTRV, look at the back side of service orders. The "California customers warranty notice" is printed on the back.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:03 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisurelarry View Post
Same with me Antone. I was without my 2015 30DS for a total of 112 days the first year due to various service issues. But between Mike Thompsons RV Sante Fe Springs service department, personal phone contacts with Forest River FR3 division in Indiana, patience and perseverance every single deficiency was corrected to my satisfaction. Per California "lemon law" I had those 112 days without my coach added on to my 1 year warranty. I even had items replaced beyond that under warranty. Currently enjoying Bolsa Chica and then on to Bullhead City-Laughlin-Colorado River next week.
Happy trails to everyone!

Leisurelarry, how did you go about getting this done? Who did you contact at FR? I know they have a file on me/my FR3, the guy I spoke to out the gate after MTRV Fountain Valley was less than honest with us told me he'd add the strongly worded letter I wrote to my "file". My FR3 has been in the shop for probably 60 days total the first 11 months, so I'd like to get the manufacturer warranty extended accordingly.

Antone

Old 03-28-2016, 04:49 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antone View Post
Leisurelarry, how did you go about getting this done? Who did you contact at FR? I know they have a file on me/my FR3, the guy I spoke to out the gate after MTRV Fountain Valley was less than honest with us told me he'd add the strongly worded letter I wrote to my "file". My FR3 has been in the shop for probably 60 days total the first 11 months, so I'd like to get the manufacturer warranty extended accordingly.

Antone

Antone
Look at your work orders from MTRV. Turn it over and read the CALIFORNIA CUSTOMERS WARRANTY NOTICE. It explains your warranty rights as a California customer. No question, it's the law.
My FR3 warranty contact was Kevin Stratton. He is a very busy man but will return your call. (574) 206-7600.
Now, how did I get all done? With great patience, perseverance and politeness.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1459201736.310177.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	103119
Old 03-28-2016, 05:07 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisurelarry View Post
Antone
Look at your work orders from MTRV. Turn it over and read the CALIFORNIA CUSTOMERS WARRANTY NOTICE. It explains your warranty rights as a California customer. No question, it's the law.
My FR3 warranty contact was Kevin Stratton. He is a very busy man but will return your call. (574) 206-7600.
Now, how did I get all done? With great patience, perseverance and politeness.Attachment 103119

Perfect, now I recall that is the guy that helped me. The 3 P's, I like it.

Antone

Old 04-03-2016, 07:51 AM   #54

We have had the same problem.... a/c leaks in cabin and has been in the shop four times.... Still not fixed, sink drain leaks in bathroom leaking water line in kitchen sink.... Planning on taking the loss and trading it in!!!!
Mike t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #55
2015 FR3 25DS

Bought our new 2015 25DS on the 13th, found a leak in the shower skylight a few days later (chasing down service for that); took it in for an alignment yesterday and the left windshield wiper broke off and the right one cracked when I turned them on for some drizzle; alignment shop found the front left kingpin to have some movement. Attempting to get all of this addressed by doing my best "squeaky wheel" impression to both the dealer and Kevin Stratton at Forest River.

fingers crossed; we're moving to AK this summer and road tripping there!
Newbies in an FR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:52 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbies in an FR3 View Post
Bought our new 2015 25DS on the 13th, found a leak in the shower skylight a few days later (chasing down service for that); took it in for an alignment yesterday and the left windshield wiper broke off and the right one cracked when I turned them on for some drizzle; alignment shop found the front left kingpin to have some movement. Attempting to get all of this addressed by doing my best "squeaky wheel" impression to both the dealer and Kevin Stratton at Forest River.

fingers crossed; we're moving to AK this summer and road tripping there!

I was relentless, but kind with Stratton and it worked. I used emails to keep a solid record. I also had a left front kingpin issue and it ended up getting replaced as it was defective.

Antone

Old 05-24-2016, 11:34 AM   #57

We just got back from a weekend trip to Southern Oregon and again we had zero issues... everything worked perfectly.
I thought I was going to have an issue when we were leaving for home on Sunday morning when the slide outs wouldn't retract... I had started the motor when getting ready to leave. I raised the leveling jacks and was preparing to depart but the wife was still putting stuff away... when she finished in the bedroom, I tried to retract the bed slide and the panel was dead... nothing happened. I thought it was broken or had tripped the breaker but once I turned off the motor, the slides worked...
I think if must have a safety cut-off switch that won't allow slide operation if the motor is on...
regardless... it was a great trip.
Days Camped 74
Old 05-24-2016, 11:40 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojump36 View Post
We just got back from a weekend trip to Southern Oregon and again we had zero issues... everything worked perfectly.
I thought I was going to have an issue when we were leaving for home on Sunday morning when the slide outs wouldn't retract... I had started the motor when getting ready to leave. I raised the leveling jacks and was preparing to depart but the wife was still putting stuff away... when she finished in the bedroom, I tried to retract the bed slide and the panel was dead... nothing happened. I thought it was broken or had tripped the breaker but once I turned off the motor, the slides worked...
I think if must have a safety cut-off switch that won't allow slide operation if the motor is on...
regardless... it was a great trip.
The slides WILL NOT operate (on newer models to my understanding) if the motor is running. I am not sure if it was forest river or another company, but there were some issues a couple of years ago where slideouts WERE OPENING while car was in motion!

This might be a forest river safety thing (which I think is good) I do not know if all manufacturers are doing this.
linchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:46 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by linchat View Post
The slides WILL NOT operate (on newer models to my understanding) if the motor is running. I am not sure if it was forest river or another company, but there were some issues a couple of years ago where slideouts WERE OPENING while car was in motion!

This might be a forest river safety thing (which I think is good) I do not know if all manufacturers are doing this.
I believe you are right... and it's a good idea.
It was just one of those things you forget after not using the coach for a few months... I was kind of stumped for a few minutes when they wouldn't close... all of the horror stories you hear on this site started racing through my mind and I was thinking I was going to have a problem.

The wife and I were sitting there on the sofa one night thinking about our decision to purchase the FR3 and we are both happy we made the right choice... there have been little things, but nothing serious and we have a warrantee if anything major creeps up... overall we are very happy with our 30DS
Days Camped 74
Old 05-24-2016, 11:49 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojump36 View Post
I believe you are right... and it's a good idea.
It was just one of those things you forget after not using the coach for a few months... I was kind of stumped for a few minutes when they wouldn't close... all of the horror stories you hear on this site started racing through my mind and I was thinking I was going to have a problem.

The wife and I were sitting there on the sofa one night thinking about our decision to purchase the FR3 and we are both happy we made the right choice... there have been little things, but nothing serious and we have a warrantee if anything major creeps up... overall we are very happy with our 30DS
So far nothing with ours. I kind of equate RV's with a new home, there is always going to be gotchyas when you take possession.
linchat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire