Old 02-10-2016, 11:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antone View Post
Motorhomes under $100k seem to be hit and miss. I have friends that have had no issues, a few issues, a lot of issues, minor issues, and major issues. I've had mine at the dealer 3 times and will be going back for a 4th next week, as well as at the Ford RV repair center, luckily 1/2 mile from my house, twice in the first 10 months. A lot of minor issues, but the way I see it, it's a first world problem that will get fixed. Annoying, frustrating, yes, but hell, I have a motorhome when some folks don't even have a home. Life could be worse. The timeout with the family and friends also outweighs all the small things. Just MHO.

Antone

2015 Forest River FR3 30DS - No Ragrets

Toad - 2011 Jeep Wrangler
Motorhomes under $100k seem to be hit and miss.

Maybe it is just me, but I think it is sad that this statement has some truth. Not that MH over $100k are immune to problems, but when an enthusiastic new buyer decides to spend that amount of money only to be disappointed after 1 or 2 trips, it can be devastating. No wonder there is so often buyer's remorse. The worst part is dealers and manufacturers continue to sell units with issues.

Imagine if each $85k MH came with a warning. CAUTION: Your new Motorhome that you are about to make payments on for the next 20 years will probably breakdown in 3 months. I am sure that will never happen.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:04 AM   #32

Not sure having it documented will help, when I first went to pick up my MH the guys who ran the slide opened it up while it was severely un-level, so when I want to see the slide in action to watch it work, while they were bringing it in it started slipping on both ends, and destroyed both side rails, top and bottom, but the stuff was still only covered from the date of purchase not the date from when they destroyed and then repaired the slide (according to lippert), and if FR had not extended my warranty for my list of problems it would have not been covered just because of documentation, according to the guy at FR, I am not saying anything but what I experienced with mine and FR info to me,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
When I bought my rig used in 2012 like most my warranty from the dealer was only 30 days. I stayed in contact with my dealers service manager by telephone and worked with him. More importantly though is every item that needed repair from my initial walk through and subsequent items that popped up, I made sure I emailed the service mgr. with an updated list of what needed fixing. This way I had a record of listing what was needed with a date and time. I realized that in mid season it would be impossible for the dealer to take care of everything within the 30 day warranty window. We took possession of our rig the first week of August and the last item to be repaired was done in late January of the following year. Didn't miss any camping outings and things were done properly and to our total satisfaction. My only regret now is the guy we worked closely with moved on to another vehicle repair shop that doesn't deal with RV's. That line of work burned him out with "we want it done yesterday". To the OP, make sure that you have written documentation of items you have notified FR and the dealer where you bought it that need repair so you aren't boxed in by the ticking calendar to get things done. That way you should be able to get some use and hopefully enjoyment out of your expensive purchase while systematically getting things in shape. Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress.

hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:17 AM   #33

2016 fr3 ds herr. Not sure if lucky or dealer did good checkout. We got ours from coupleys in hobe sound, fl. He said allot of rvs arrive with problems. Once we sign with them they do a complete inspection of the unit. Then we come back and do the same.

Knock on wood all has been well. I agree with one thing though the latches are all rusted!!! Especially the ones where you access water and sewer compartment. The interior part rusted shut on me. Was able to turn the whole piece to open the door.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:31 PM   #34

ok, so here is another issue that came up today. we plugged in the toad cable and the brake lights and blinkers were not working on the car, even though they worked last Sunday when we tested everything out. Rather than monkey with the cable and car, i went and bought a pair of magnetic towing lights, they don't work either, so it must be the plug, no?
Old 02-13-2016, 01:59 PM   #35

Urban_FR3, it could just be the fuse for the trailer lights.

Antone

2015 Forest River FR3 30DS - No Ragrets

Toad - 2011 Jeep Wrangler
Old 02-13-2016, 02:51 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_FR3 View Post
ok, so here is another issue that came up today. we plugged in the toad cable and the brake lights and blinkers were not working on the car, even though they worked last Sunday when we tested everything out. Rather than monkey with the cable and car, i went and bought a pair of magnetic towing lights, they don't work either, so it must be the plug, no?
The plug that you plug in could have a broken wire the cable is always moving so its easy for a wire to break off inside a test light will tell you if the male end is working and if it is then its the female end. They do make a test plug that all you do is plug it end and it will tell you that its working. My semi I am always fixing or replacing the pig tail for the wires break inside the plug
Old 02-16-2016, 11:33 AM   #37

It did turn out to be a fuse, #22 under the dash.

Also found that the propane tank gauge is broke as well, when i get back from FL they are replacing it..
Old 02-16-2016, 11:44 AM   #38

Urban, sometimes that little stuff can drive you nuts! On my first rig, a 2000 Allegro I too was having problems with the tail lights on my tow. I thought I checked every fuse under the dash, to no avail. We made our trip to Vermont anyways with our fingers crossed, though we didn't plan any night time driving. When we got home like the next day something told me to check the fuses again. Yep, I missed one the first time and that was all that was wrong.
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:40 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by linchat View Post
2016 fr3 ds herr. Not sure if lucky or dealer did good checkout. We got ours from coupleys in hobe sound, fl. He said allot of rvs arrive with problems. Once we sign with them they do a complete inspection of the unit. Then we come back and do the same.

Knock on wood all has been well. I agree with one thing though the latches are all rusted!!! Especially the ones where you access water and sewer compartment. The interior part rusted shut on me. Was able to turn the whole piece to open the door.
We have only had 3 small issues with our 2016 as well and 2 of them were fixed by the dealer prior to us picking up the unit. The other was fixed in about an hour on our way back from a trip. In my opinion it all comes down to the dealer you buy from. Ours was and continues to be great as does our FR3. We are very happy.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:40 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_FR3 View Post
We took ownership of a brand new 2016 FR3 30DS sold at the Hershey RV show October 2015. Let me just say, I wish we HAD NEVER BOUGHT THIS.

We have not used it once and has been at the dealer for warranty work most of the time from now back to October.

This weekend we finally got it back, getting ready to head to FL next weekend. Discovered that the drivers side windshield wiper has a broken mount. Snapped clean off.

This thing is a piece of cra*p, I will never recommend a Forest River product, EVER!
Looks like you're going to be limping to Florida. Don't want to cancel your trip. I read all the follow-up posts and one thing seems to stand out. You need to locate a dealer who is best qualified to do your repairs. Your challenge will be convincing them to put you ahead of their regular customers. Your hope is that their service dept. is still slow, being it's the off season. I'd try and ask other forum members who in your area does good work. Good luck!

Tags
tire