Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2016, 07:23 PM   #81

ur welcome. make sure the silver brackets are at the right elevation. also apparently the cables should have a total of about .75 to 1 in total movement up and down when out (of course as the retracted cables we dont see )
Combatcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:56 AM   #82

Having same issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schings View Post
I am sure there are worse stories, but here is my most recent one with a dealer:

On both slide outs on my FR3, the cables were exposed when the slide out was IN. Both cables have significant fraying on them (Multiple strands were actually broken.) We had one of the slideouts repaired about a month after we bought the RV new. (2014 from Colerain RV north of Cincinnati.) That repair took several weeks because they said they were waiting on parts from Forrest River. (That is NOT the story FR offered. They said, that they weren't even ordered.) Anyway back to the current problem of frayed cables. I made an appointment for service back in the first part of June. They couldn't schedule me in until July 18?. I brought it in July 18. They asked me when I wanted it back. I told them ASAP but July 29th was my "drop dead" date. They were fine with that. On July 25th I called to get status. They said they hadn't started on it!! I reminded them of the "drop dead" date that they promised. (That was noted on the work order.) They then said they would bring it in and start working on it immediately. Later I needed something from the RV, so I stopped by on the 27th to pick it up. It took them 10 minutes to find the keys. I then went to the RV which was still parked in the same spot and it appeared no one had touched it. I went back into the office and, they agreed that no one had touched it. And it didn't seem to bother them in the least. They didn't seem to understand why I would be upset !!
I again reminded them of the dates. There reply was that they were busy. I asked "Why did I make an appointment then"? "Why didn't they bother to tell me at some point that they were not going to make the date." Why did they lie and say they were going to bring it in immediately? Anyway, knowing that they were not going to have it done anywhere near the promised date, I took the RV home and I will do the repairs myself. I never even received an apology, other than "we have been real busy." This was Northside RV in Lexington, KY. I found out that they were just purchased a few months ago by Colerain RV, (The company I bought it from.) I think you will find that this type of service and treatment is NOT remarkable in the RV field.
Jim - I purchased my FR3 new from Colerain in Indianapolis. Sadly, we have had very similar service level issues. I had an appointment, then it would sit for weeks. It has taken constant badgering on my part. I've heard every excuse in the book such as "the sales department oversold without consulting Service and they are equipped to service all the units"; "we can't hire the techs we need"; "we don't have room in our lot to park all the units", or my favorite "we are waiting on the factory to send the parts." I contacted Forest River and am now on a first name basis with Bryan Knight there (he has been incredible). Turns out that what Colerain said they were doing along the way with the factory was nothing but lies. My rear slide motor recently broke so I immediately reached out to Bryan. He said that the minute Colerain would input what was needed for the repair he would overnight everything (which he did). Unfortunately, Colerain let it sit for 12 days before they called me and said "yep, you were right, it is in the slide motor." If they had just listened to me when I dropped it off for my appointment, I would have not missed two camping weekends where I had to cancel my reservations due to them not taking any action.
elw5599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:09 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by elw5599 View Post
Jim - I purchased my FR3 new from Colerain in Indianapolis. Sadly, we have had very similar service level issues. I had an appointment, then it would sit for weeks. It has taken constant badgering on my part. I've heard every excuse in the book such as "the sales department oversold without consulting Service and they are equipped to service all the units"; "we can't hire the techs we need"; "we don't have room in our lot to park all the units", or my favorite "we are waiting on the factory to send the parts." I contacted Forest River and am now on a first name basis with Bryan Knight there (he has been incredible). Turns out that what Colerain said they were doing along the way with the factory was nothing but lies. My rear slide motor recently broke so I immediately reached out to Bryan. He said that the minute Colerain would input what was needed for the repair he would overnight everything (which he did). Unfortunately, Colerain let it sit for 12 days before they called me and said "yep, you were right, it is in the slide motor." If they had just listened to me when I dropped it off for my appointment, I would have not missed two camping weekends where I had to cancel my reservations due to them not taking any action.

Blame the dealer all you want. The manufacturer knows the games the dealers are playing with the warranty service, or should I say lack of it, yet continue to support those dealers. Your post confirms that the manufacturer knows. Its not new news is it? The manufacturers care about sales numbers and thats about it. Keeping you happy and warranty repair is secondary. Why don't they address it with Colerain or other dealers? They probably addressed it by shipping them more units to sell.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:25 AM   #84
clr

I just returned from Texas helping a friend pick up his new CC. Some tips I think that I have learned if you want any chance to get quality warranty work done after the sale. Look at the board dealers have for the daily PDI deliveries. If they are putting out 8-10 RV's per day lets say. Then go out and count the number of service bays the dealers have. If they only have 2 or 3 service bays and deliver 8-10 units per day you can tell pretty well that they will not care about warranty work and the run around will start. I know that some of the work can be done in the parking lot but only the simple stuff.
Also I think that warranty work is given the lowest priority. If the dealer charges say 125 dollars per hour and FR pays the dealer only 100 dollars per hour and tell the dealer how long this should take, the dealer says I can make more money on the cash service so will give that priority.
If the dealer says that they are waiting on FR for approval or parts for weeks they are blowing smoke, and are lying to you. I have found that FR does a pretty good job of responding and getting the parts to the dealer after they are contacted. If you doubt this call the warranty person for your model and ask them about the part or warranty in question.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:54 AM   #85

wiper

Fr got the frame & drive gear from Ford. Fr did the rest.
martin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:43 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Blame the dealer all you want. The manufacturer knows the games the dealers are playing with the warranty service, or should I say lack of it, yet continue to support those dealers.
There is plenty of blame to go around. However in my particular cases (and most of the others above) The DEALER was the primary cause and had the responsibility to the buyer. Yes, we COULD blame the manufacture or even the buyers for continuing to purchase poor quality units. In a free market, we usually get what we deserve in the long term.
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
EE, IBMer, Race Car Builder, now Retired.
Jim Schings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:37 AM   #87

I somewhat disagree with the statement that service bays vs. pdi's per day will give an idea of what can be done at a dealer service department daily. For the most part, this is a warm nice weather industry. Dealers can get as much done outside as inside. Most do not do any chassis or engine work where a lift may be needed. When I purchased my rig the dealer had to remove the dinette slide to replace nylon guides for the slide rails. Everything was done outside. No need for a service bay to do any interior repairs either. Last summer my dealer did awning repairs to my rig outside. The conversation goes back to the quality of the dealer and its service departments willingness to do things right more than the physical plant they operate out of.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:33 PM   #88

Regarding my service issues on my FR-3 and the Colerain RV dealership in Lexington KY. As I mentioned in my post above, I sent emails to both Colerain and Forest River on 7/29/16 (Friday). On 8/1/16 (Monday) I received an email back from a Bryan Knight at Forest River. Bryan apologized and said they were contacting the dealer. He also said he was sending me 2 cable kits for the slide outs with instructions and how to repair myself. He was also going to look up another FR dealer/repair close to my location.
I haven't heard from the dealer as of yet. Hopefully I DO get the cable kits.... I will let you know. I am still obviously not pleased with the Colerain service, but Bryan's letter does go a long way to making me feel better about FR.
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
Old 08-21-2016, 10:23 AM   #89

More on Colerain RV

Should have updated earlier. : Within the week, I received 3! cable kits. Two from the manufacture (FR) and 1 from Colerain RV in Lexington, KY. Thanks to the nice video link sent to me from FR, the first cable replacement was easy. EXCEPT it wasn't a cable replacement! Year before last right after we bought the RV (new) it had a problem with the slide out. After they (Colerain Cincinnati) worked on it, it worked fine until this last issue. Upon opening the inspection panel (6 screws to remove trim), I found 1 cable off and the remaining 7 loose with no locking nuts tight. Also a missing vibration spacer. This was obviously done at Colerain RV on the last "repair". A ten year old could have done a better job. The pull chains were hanging loose and hitting the motor relay on each closing and opening. It is all gouged up but working. Thanks Colerain RV. Anyways, I repaired everything in that slide out and it is working fine now. In a few minutes I will address the next slide out. Hopefully it is as easy to fix.
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
Old 08-22-2016, 08:33 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by elw5599 View Post
Just read this. I too purchased from Colerain of Indy and verbatim, my experience - and word for word - the excuses they have used are identical to that above. I DO know what good RV service looks like...I've purchased three prior units (trailer, 5th wheels) from local dealers and their service and professionalism was text-book. Colerain has lost my business. Now and in the future. I have my FR3 serviced at CW in Greenwood and say what you will about CW, they have been very good, timely, and professional with me.
JBDALHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:39 PM   #91

Fr3 25ds anyone who can tell me where the access is for the bed slide mechanism?
Havasudave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:04 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasudave View Post
Fr3 25ds anyone who can tell me where the access is for the bed slide mechanism?
This thread may have some answers for you...good luck!
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...sue-56300.html
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:33 PM   #93
2015 FR3 25DS

Quote:
See the thread camaraderie linked, but it's behind the rear panel of the cabinets over the bed.
Newbies in an FR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:51 AM   #94

Thanks for the input. I was afraid it was behind those cabinets. Guess they have to come down
Old 10-07-2016, 10:44 AM   #95
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I was afraid it was behind those cabinets. Guess they have to come down
Shouldn't need to pull the cabinets down. Only the top fascia. You'll then see the mechanism.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:24 AM   #96
Site Team

The site team has removed what is considered a "baiting post", as well as the following posts that took the bait so to say.

Baiting posts are guideline violations and will result in an account being suspended or banned.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:05 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivmsafe View Post
Shouldn't need to pull the cabinets down. Only the top fascia. You'll then see the mechanism.
X2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160805_203822.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	122410  
DutchRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:05 AM   #98

Thanks for the image

Thanks for taking the time to post the picture. Now that we are back home in Havasu I will tackle this project. My cabinets go all the was to the ceiling. It appears that the facia cover is actually the back wall of the cabinets. I will post pics later today when its daylight.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:25 AM   #99

Cannot get anything fixed

I purchased a 2015 FR3 28DS in January of this year. Unfortunately, we have had many issues (mostly cosmetic) since delivery of the coach. I have lost track, but guessing at this point over the 11 months we have owned the coach it has set on a repair lot for at least four of those months. I was told for the “non-essential” repairs to just keep a list of everything that needs fixed and wait until the end of the season and bring it in when the repair departments were less busy. We initially were taking it for repairs to Colerain RV in Indianapolis (where we purchased it). Unfortunately, we lost confidence in them and it is now waiting in line at Camping World in Indianapolis. I had an appointment to drop it off on November 14th (which I made the 2nd week in October - this was the earliest they could get me in). Since I hadn’t heard anything for a while I called yesterday to check on the status. Unfortunately, I learned that it is still “in-line” for a tech, but it will still be several weeks. They told me once they tech looks it over they will take pictures of the needed repairs, send them to the factory for approval, wait for a response, wait for the parts to be delivered and then get it back in line for the needed repairs. I shared with them that I need the coach back by the end of February and they told me they would try, but could not guarantee it. I would have never guessed that dropping it off on November for repairs would put a trip in early March at risk.

Here is a list of the items that need attention:
1. Main slide out roof needs replaced – Colerain identified issue earlier in the year and received approval from Forest River to replace. I was told to bring it in at the end of the season for them to do the repair.
2. The ceiling of the entire coach was painted by Colerain (it had adhesive all over it when we took delivery and painting the entire ceiling was the only fix). When they replaced the trim pieces they were not attached properly and as a result the trim pieces buckle in varying temperatures.
3. Colerain attempted to repair the trim around the countertop in the bathroom. They damaged the wall and the trim is still not glued down.
4. The bathroom door rubs around the door trim
5. The water heater is pulling away from the side wall on the exterior of the coach.
6. The bedroom slide out motor was replaced. However, there is now popping sounds coming from the slide when it is pushed in and out. I’m assuming Colerain did not adjust the cables properly.
7. Generator is becoming more and more difficult to start.
8. The front cap is oxidizing on the top.
9. The hot water lever on the kitchen seat doesn’t seat properly and causes the faucet to drip.
10. When the heat pump was running our last time out, water dripped out of the ceiling unit onto the floor.
11. Recliner foot rest is loose (left rest as you are looking at the couch)
12. Left outside speaker sound is distorted.

Obviously, these are primarily cosmetic things, but if you could see the list of items we have dealt with over the last year it is deplorable. My biggest concern now is the RV show kicks off next weekend here in Indy where they will once again sell a large volume of units that in turn will be delivered with multiple issues. From my perspective the dealerships can't service what they sold last January and they are about to open the floodgates on out of control warranty repair lines.

I've camped my entire life. I am addicted, but for the first time in my life I'm finding myself saying it may be time to find a new hobby.
elw5599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:48 PM   #100

Get used to it

2015 fr3 towing a Suzuki grand vatara
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire