Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2016, 03:45 PM   #61

My First Year 2015 FR3 30DS

Since this thread has been bumped, I'll jump on. I really do like the FR3 for it's layout and style. I, like the OP, am very tired of things defective or failing. I'm very anxious to get past the first year (plus) of problems that inevitably occur. More than a year later, I'm still working with dealer, FR, and a body shop to get everything up to par. Call it a love/hate relationship with the coach and the players.

A little more than a year after delivery, I've had more than 20 issues that anyone would agree are significant. Biggest was crackle spots in the curb side fiberglass. 11 weeks in the body shop and, while I have it back for a trip, still has awning LEDs (incorrect part shipped) and many decals (some missing from kit) to be (re-)installed.

Just yesterday, found a loose sway bar attachment bolt while performing the "Cheap Handling Fix". The LED strip had 3 failed lights a year ago so second replacement for them. Bunk bed falling. LR TV swinging out underway (mine hinged on left). Outside TV miss-wired for DVD. Taillights cracked/leaking, 3 screws missed the body, 1 stripped. Stair frame cracked causing droopy stairs. Bathroom door would not close without turning handle. One Drawer rail broken. Screen door 1" gap top left. Floating inner tire extenders. Slide trim screw stripped causing flapping. Fog lights way miss-aimed/inferior headlights. Gray tank is only 35 gallons, usable. CO2 detector failed (alarming). Being a retired systems engineer, I was able to fix most of these myself.

We've also done over 30 improvements. My two favorites are heated & remote mirrors and a basement tube for a sewer hose.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:46 PM   #62
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Kadiddle.... Would love to see pics of the remote heated mirrors and info on where you bought them, model#, etc.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:19 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadiddle View Post
Since this thread has been bumped, I'll jump on. I really do like the FR3 for it's layout and style. I, like the OP, am very tired of things defective or failing. I'm very anxious to get past the first year (plus) of problems that inevitably occur. More than a year later, I'm still working with dealer, FR, and a body shop to get everything up to par. Call it a love/hate relationship with the coach and the players.

A little more than a year after delivery, I've had more than 20 issues that anyone would agree are significant. Biggest was crackle spots in the curb side fiberglass. 11 weeks in the body shop and, while I have it back for a trip, still has awning LEDs (incorrect part shipped) and many decals (some missing from kit) to be (re-)installed.

Just yesterday, found a loose sway bar attachment bolt while performing the "Cheap Handling Fix". The LED strip had 3 failed lights a year ago so second replacement for them. Bunk bed falling. LR TV swinging out underway (mine hinged on left). Outside TV miss-wired for DVD. Taillights cracked/leaking, 3 screws missed the body, 1 stripped. Stair frame cracked causing droopy stairs. Bathroom door would not close without turning handle. One Drawer rail broken. Screen door 1" gap top left. Floating inner tire extenders. Slide trim screw stripped causing flapping. Fog lights way miss-aimed/inferior headlights. Gray tank is only 35 gallons, usable. CO2 detector failed (alarming). Being a retired systems engineer, I was able to fix most of these myself.

We've also done over 30 improvements. My two favorites are heated & remote mirrors and a basement tube for a sewer hose.
Dang... that's a lot of stuff...

I had the bathroom P-traps that weren't hooked up... the TV wend out on a trip, the heater quit on a trip, one of the blinds kept falling down, head lights weren't adjusted, and a small fire or burned wires on the hot water heater... oh and the bathroom door hold open catch was miss-aligned with the bracket on the wall....
I fixed it all myself except the hot water heater and TV... The little tiny things I've had are pretty insignificant compared to others here...
I like my coach
Days Camped 74
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:37 PM   #64
2015 FR3 25DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivmsafe View Post
Kadiddle.... Would love to see pics of the remote heated mirrors and info on where you bought them, model#, etc.
Thanks!

Count us interested as well- the lack of power mirrors is, so far, our biggest design complaint!
Newbies in an FR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:19 PM   #65

Regarding mirror mod, see #3 in the link below:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ors-79838.html

PM me for any missing details.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:19 PM   #66
2015 FR3 25DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadiddle View Post
Regarding mirror mod, see #3 in the link below:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ors-79838.html

PM me for any missing details.
Wow, Kadiddle, thank you! We have no electrical experience, so this would probably be something we'd need to pay for, but brilliant work on your part, and great to hear the parts aren't too pricey for such a huge payoff in functionality and safety! Looks like the part numbers you used aren't on the Velvac site anymore, but following your path, I can call Velvac and ask for the same model. Really appreciate it!
Newbies in an FR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:55 PM   #67

We've had our share of issues, those who haven't with any RV are lucky. We had 0 in 8 years with our prior FR TT and we used the heck out of it, so we were lucky. Bottom line for us is the good outweigh the bad, ten fold, so it is all good.

Antone

2015 Forest River FR3 30DS - No Ragrets

Toad - 2011 Jeep Wrangler
Antone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:03 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schings View Post
I have owned 5 RV's. I am pretty sure that I have had to repair something on EVERY one after EVERY trip. It was explained to me 20 years ago, that if you put your house on chains and pull it down the road for a few hundred miles and return, you will HAVE to repair something. That is RVing. It shouldn't be that way, but RV manufactures have never reached the quality or technical level of other manufacturers.

LoL. A house isn't built to go down the highway. A RV is so that explanation can hold no water.
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:30 AM   #69

The vibration and environment make the comparison quite valid. Your RV is subjected to 60 and 70 MPH winds and rain for hours at a time and shook by potholes at those same speeds and built with the less than premium craftwork and parts. You WILL be repairing something after most every trip. That's 25+ years of experience. At every rally there are often repair companies there to repair things and the vast majority of discussion in any rally or campfire get together is RV repair... You can still love RVing, but you have to be honest and aware..
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
EE, IBMer, Race Car Builder, now Retired.
Jim Schings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:37 AM   #70
Site Team

Well said. A great trip is one where nothing broke.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:13 PM   #71

We also had the rusty storage door latches, but we insisted the dealer order replacements with the same key and they did. If they won't do it ask to speak to the manager. Our service guy would not get back to us with phone calls or emails until we called the Manager of the whole dealership, now he responds within the day.

In addition, we had probably 10-12 minor things that the dealer had to fix over two visits. Each time they had the rig for 3 - 4 weeks which is just ridiculous. And we have to drive 1 1/2 hours back and forth for service. It's a pain! But we are hoping that we have found and fixed all the kinks and do not have a lemon.
Skgust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:23 PM   #72
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Well said Jim Schings!

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:19 PM   #73

Thank you to the people that are saying that you are enjoying your FR3. We just brought our 2016 FR3 30DS home today and this forum thread almost makes me cry. We anticipate issues with our 2nd home - just hope there is some enjoyment ahead of us.
KevandSyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:48 PM   #74

Hopefully you'll have a supportive dealer. Most aren't worth the time dealing with. Just post any issues on here that you have and someone will help you find the solutions. There is a bit anxiety buying a 80-90k rig and lot to learn if this is your first rig. Congrats on your new home and we'll see ya around.
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:56 PM   #75

I am sure there are worse stories, but here is my most recent one with a dealer:

On both slide outs on my FR3, the cables were exposed when the slide out was IN. Both cables have significant fraying on them (Multiple strands were actually broken.) We had one of the slideouts repaired about a month after we bought the RV new. (2014 from Colerain RV north of Cincinnati.) That repair took several weeks because they said they were waiting on parts from Forrest River. (That is NOT the story FR offered. They said, that they weren't even ordered.) Anyway back to the current problem of frayed cables. I made an appointment for service back in the first part of June. They couldn't schedule me in until July 18?. I brought it in July 18. They asked me when I wanted it back. I told them ASAP but July 29th was my "drop dead" date. They were fine with that. On July 25th I called to get status. They said they hadn't started on it!! I reminded them of the "drop dead" date that they promised. (That was noted on the work order.) They then said they would bring it in and start working on it immediately. Later I needed something from the RV, so I stopped by on the 27th to pick it up. It took them 10 minutes to find the keys. I then went to the RV which was still parked in the same spot and it appeared no one had touched it. I went back into the office and, they agreed that no one had touched it. And it didn't seem to bother them in the least. They didn't seem to understand why I would be upset !!
I again reminded them of the dates. There reply was that they were busy. I asked "Why did I make an appointment then"? "Why didn't they bother to tell me at some point that they were not going to make the date." Why did they lie and say they were going to bring it in immediately? Anyway, knowing that they were not going to have it done anywhere near the promised date, I took the RV home and I will do the repairs myself. I never even received an apology, other than "we have been real busy." This was Northside RV in Lexington, KY. I found out that they were just purchased a few months ago by Colerain RV, (The company I bought it from.) I think you will find that this type of service and treatment is NOT remarkable in the RV field.
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
Old 07-30-2016, 10:24 AM   #76

That's horrible Jim...
I'd write the management a pretty long letter and maybe even contact FR over it...
Days Camped 74
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:55 AM   #77

Thanks. Yep. I did yesterday. To Colerain and FR. Both have a contact email on a web page that basically says, "We want to be the leader in the RV business in sales and service. Please contact us with concerns. " I will let you know their response(s).
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
Old 07-30-2016, 11:48 AM   #78
Tinkerer and Putterer

Regarding what moves and what doesn't when the motor is running. My 2013 Forester 3011 DS will not allow the slides or awning to operate when the motor is running. I would say that's a good thing.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:58 PM   #79

when working on the cables, make sure they appear parallel to the ground when inspecting them. Bal Norco Accuslide are the systems we have. There website has the service manual avail for you.
Combatcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:48 PM   #80

Combatcoal, Thanks. I looked at the online manual and that system does look to be the same as mine. Very helpful.
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR

Tags
tire