Old 05-16-2018, 08:36 PM   #1

Tires Off Ground

I see quite a few rigs that are leveled with one or two of the front tires well off the ground. It seems to me that I've read that the hydraulic jacks should not be used to support that kind of weight. Is that the case with the FR3? Thanks.
jor

jor_tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:33 AM   #2

wheels off ground

Never have wheels off ground with levelers can and will cause windshield to pop or break . Plus lots of other things bad can happen. Use block under wheels to raise and close level unit than use level system . Or park on more level ground.

Carl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:32 AM   #3
Lacey's Spring, AL

hydraulic leveling/legs don't care if the coach tires are off the ground or not, since once you initially feel the 'lift', it's already effectively taken the coach's weight off the ground anyway.
psychologically, though, we 'see' the tires off the ground and fear that something is somehow going to 'break' or 'fall', but that's just not the case.

think about it this way... the hydraulics are designed to lift and hold your coach's weight, it's total weight, including you and all your 'stuff', otherwise it could not lift and level it to begin with. No worries.

but, if it makes you feel better, don't lift it high enough for any tire to 'leave' the ground : )

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada... from W.C. Georgia, then W. North Carolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:43 PM   #4

I agree with formerFR.

You do not always have a choice of level ground at your campsite. My only problem with the front wheels off the ground is the height of the bottom step. I just installed yesterday an Extended Assist Rail to help with the last step.
Amazon: Stromberg Carlson AM-533 Lend-A-Hand Extended Assist Rail
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180516_203220.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	172261

I also installed RV SnapPads to make sure the jacks did not slip.
Amazon: RV SnapPads
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV SnapPads.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	172258
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries thread
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:02 PM   #5

For a short weekend I've let a wheel or two come off the ground. For longer trips I will make sure to have all wheels 'down' letting the suspension add to the stability while camping.

What I do notice, is that the Lippert system takes the bus off the ground to far sometimes, I mean, if the front wheels are off the ground and all 4 jacks are down, why not drop all 4 jack 2 inches, gives the same level result?!?!?!?!
DutchRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:37 PM   #6

Just spoke with someone at Lippert. "Jacks are NOT supposed to take any wheel off the ground, especially not on just moderately sloped sites". He advised doing a 'zero point reset' on a level (as possible) surface, following page 10 of the manual (see below). Obviously you must then first know/learn how to do a manual leveling sequence (manual page 11, see below)

I attached the entire manual.

PS, every page in the manual says the following:

WARNING!!! LIFTING ALL WHEELS OFF THE GROUND MAY RESULT IN SERIOUS PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH.

Level Zero Point Calibration
Before auto leveling features are available, the Level Zero point must be set. This is the point to which the
system will return when an auto leveling cycle is initiated. To set the zero point (controller module must be
fully secured in production intent location), first run a manual leveling sequence to get the vehicle to the
desired level point. Then activate the Level Zero point configuration mode.
This mode is enabled by performing the following sequence:
1. Turn panel off. Then turn panel on.
2. Perform the following:
A. Press the Front switch 5 times.
B. Press the Rear switch 5 times.
3. At this point all LED outputs will blink, and the buzzer will be off.
4. You are now in IDLE mode ready to set Zero Point.
5. With a carpenter’s level, manually level the coach. This will give the leveling controls the reference
point for the Zero Point Configuration.
6. When coach is completely leveled, manually press the Retract All switch 3 times to set the zero point

Manual Leveling Procedures
Note: When leveling your coach, the coach should be leveled from front to rear first (Step 2-4). When the
coach is level from front to rear, then level the coach from left to right (Step 5).
Note: Coach must be running for LCI Electronic Leveling System to operate.
1. Push ON/OFF button on control panel. The system is now operational and the ON/OFF light will be lit.
2. Push and hold MAN button for 5 seconds.
3. Push FRONT button until jacks contact the ground and lift the front of the coach 1-2 inches.
4. Push REAR button until jacks contact the ground and lift rear of coach. Keep button depressed until
bubble is centered.
5. Push LEFT or RIGHT button; if bubble is towards left of coach, push RIGHT button; if bubble is towards
right of coach push LEFT button. Keep button depressed until bubble is centered in vial.
Note: The right and left jacks are used to level the coach side to side. Pushing the LEFT button on the
control panel will extend both left jacks. Pushing the RIGHT button on the control panel will extend
both right jacks. Jacks always work in pairs, both front jacks; both right side jacks, etc.
6. Repeat steps 2 through 5 if needed.
7. Turn power off to leveling system by pushing ON/OFF button.
8. Visually inspect all jacks to ensure all shoes are touching ground. Should one of the rear jack shoes
not be touching the ground, press the corresponding LEFT or RIGHT rear jack buttons to lower the
corresponding jack to the ground.
DutchRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchRv View Post
Just spoke with someone at Lippert. "Jacks are NOT supposed to take any wheel off the ground, especially not on just moderately sloped sites". He advised doing a 'zero point reset' on a level (as possible) surface, following page 10 of the manual (see below). Obviously you must then first know/learn how to do a manual leveling sequence (manual page 11, see below)

I attached the entire manual.

PS, every page in the manual says the following:

WARNING!!! LIFTING ALL WHEELS OFF THE GROUND MAY RESULT IN SERIOUS PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH.............
I understand "ALL WHEELS" means both front & rear wheels. I never lift the rear axle (Parking Brake.)

When I deploy the jacks from inside I do not know if the front wheels are off the ground until I go outside to look.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries thread
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:20 PM   #8

On the last coach we owned I made the mistake of letting the system raise the rear wheels off the ground. Or I think is was at least one of them. Parking brake on of course, but the coach rolled about three inches forward.The force bent both front levelers enough that they would not retract. Spent an extra day getting someone to remove both front jacks so I could move the coach.It cost a little over 2 grand to get them replaced. So guys set your system and never raise any wheels off the ground.
HortMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:14 PM   #9
edm

I use manual leveling when ever I can. I lower the rear jacks first then the front then right or left sides. Always leave rear wheels on ground so ebrake and park will hold the vehicle.
Good luck and happy travels.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:11 PM   #10

Thanks to all for your input. I believe that pads and blocks are the best bet.
jor

jor_tucson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires