Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2018, 12:34 PM   #1

To Pull or Not to Pull...

I have a 24' Enclosed Hauler that we use to transport our UTV and kids ATV's. It weighs 3640lbs dry so with it loaded I'm coming close to the 5k lb hitch limit but I installed the brake controller already and have a load leveling hitch with sway control to install as well. We're planning a trip from FL to NY in June and I'm having a custom open trailer built for that so the weight won't be as much of an issue but this weekend we want to take the kids to ride and where we go is about 2 hours away on the interstate then once we're there it's a clay dirt road back to the camping area. In River Ranch if anyone here is from FL and knows where I'm talking about. I see Class A's back there all the time pulling trailers so I'm not so much worried about the dirt road part as much as pulling the weight of the enclosed hauler behind a gasser...

What would you suggest?
ARS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:36 PM   #2

Here is a picture of the trailer in question.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:48 PM   #3

I'm confused. You have a heavy duty 4 wheel drive truck and you are worried about going some where that class A motor homes travel? Does the motor home have some sort of advantage being diesel that I am not aware of Vs a 4x4 gas HD truck?
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
I'm confused. You have a heavy duty 4 wheel drive truck and you are worried about going some where that class A motor homes travel? Does the motor home have some sort of advantage being diesel that I am not aware of Vs a 4x4 gas HD truck?
This is in the FR3 motorhome thread. I assume the OP is asking about pulling the trailer behind that. The pic seems to just be a reference to the trailer.
2015 Coachmen Apex 259BHSS 50th Anniversary (sold)
rjc1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:07 PM   #5

Sorry I should have said we bought the RV because we have 3 young boys so traveling is a nightmare... They RV allows us to travel and still take the toys with us! They're only good for a few hours in the truck, for sure not all the way to NY from FL with 2 small dogs

This is what that truck looks like now. Yes those are bags it's on a 6"-8" Kelderman lift so that pulls that trailer no problem!!! It's also tuned and deleted.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:42 PM   #6

I see you're new here- be prepared for someone to point out that you're probably close to GVWR on that 250 as it sits and you should've gone 350. Seriously, though- nice truck I'd be a nervous wreck worrying about rock dings down the sides if it was mine, though!
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:57 PM   #7

I'm not a Ford guy so it kind of pains me to say this but that's a good looking truck.
2015 Coachmen Apex 259BHSS 50th Anniversary (sold)
rjc1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:23 PM   #8

You say a Open trailer but Pic is a Enclosed?Youroo!!
Old 04-17-2018, 08:19 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

To Pull or Not to Pull...

why not drive both and spare the expense of another trailer?
That way you also have a vehicle to drive while your there.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:04 PM   #10

Check the hitch and see if with a WHD the rating is 7500 lbs. Some are rated like that.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:59 AM   #11

Well I got the hitch all squared away last night and it pulls the enclosed trailer like a dream! It was loaded and 60-65 is very comfortable and the trailer tracks straight with almost no sway. I ordered the open trailer but I won't have it until early June. I got an Aluminum one so it will be WAY lighter so that's what I will pull up north come late June.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:04 PM   #12

I'm not over loaded with the F250 I pulled a car 6 hours home inside of it even before it was tuned without an issue. The Lift actually increased my capacity that I would comfortably pull with my previous truck since no matter what I put behind it, it won't sag. I can set the cruise at 80 and let go of the wheel and that truck with the trailer behind it will track straight down the road! Kinda sucks because in the RV that's never an option...
Old 04-19-2018, 12:21 PM   #13
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

1- Sweet looking truck

2- One thing we came across; those fancy rims sometimes are not rated for the heavy loads of towing. They can crack from fatigue. Something to ask the manufacturer and keep an eye on.
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:27 AM   #14

Besides gross weight of the trailer yo are towing. May want to checkonn the tongue weigh. I believe FR3s only come with 500lbs tongue weight hitch. Check that and if over it i would move up a class or two on the hitch. May require a different hitch mount to frame (extension)...remember a lot of te longer units are using extended rear frame sections with specific load ratings.

And i weight the traile. I have a 20ft enclosed car hualer that is too heavy for the FR3....even with WD hitch.
KY25DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
why not drive both and spare the expense of another trailer?
That way you also have a vehicle to drive while your there.
there is the middle of nowhere. literally! deep in the gut of FL.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARS1 View Post
I have a 24' Enclosed Hauler that we use to transport our UTV and kids ATV's. It weighs 3640lbs dry so with it loaded I'm coming close to the 5k lb hitch limit but I installed the brake controller already and have a load leveling hitch with sway control to install as well. We're planning a trip from FL to NY in June and I'm having a custom open trailer built for that so the weight won't be as much of an issue but this weekend we want to take the kids to ride and where we go is about 2 hours away on the interstate then once we're there it's a clay dirt road back to the camping area. In River Ranch if anyone here is from FL and knows where I'm talking about. I see Class A's back there all the time pulling trailers so I'm not so much worried about the dirt road part as much as pulling the weight of the enclosed hauler behind a gasser...

What would you suggest?
yep we know it. been to the resort side and love it. we have several friends that own property on both sides. i have never heard of anyone getting stuck and they have big rigs and toy haulers. we are just 2 1/2 hours away and have thought of looking into purchasing on the resort side.