Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2016, 07:31 PM   #21

We had 2 scoots on the back of our Georgetown for a season. They were hard to get on and off, most campgrounds banned their use (except for in & out) and limited the amount of stuff we could carry. VA required license plates. So we got a toad and sold the scooters.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technorick View Post
Scooter is the evil twin to the Kymco. It's a Jonway 250.
Ahh...knew it didn't look quite like the present Kymco...the 250 and 150 Jonways have nice reviews on justgottascoot.com. I would like to get a bigger bike one day...but can't carry more weight without going to a swivel wheel...so it will wait for now. I can go 50mph all day on my Vespa 150 (and I'm a BIG guy) so that is fine for anything but the interstates.

Quote:
We had 2 scoots on the back of our Georgetown for a season. They were hard to get on and off, most campgrounds banned their use (except for in & out) and limited the amount of stuff we could carry. VA required license plates. So we got a toad and sold the scooters.
My own experience is that my wife and I load and secure our two 250 lb scooters without much trouble and have them protected and secure in 1/2 hour. Less time to remove. We have not been bothered at all by parks with restrictions though some apparently do this...and find them much more convenient and fun than a car. With our top cases and racks and under seat storage we can do lots of provisioning in a single trip. With a 29ft. class A...we don't have much problem getting around when we need to get bigger stuff which is rare.

We DO have licenses and the test was incredibly easy since it is designed for cycles and shifting and maneuverability which scoots excel at. Perhaps it depends on the kind of camping you do, your health and fitness and your choice of parks. Most campers we encounter can't believe we have no car and consider what we do dangerous...so there is a mindset too. Not saying it is for everyone...but it is for us. I would say that scooting around the places we pull into is 50% of the fun we have. And we never can't find a parking place!

Getting our kicks on RT66...Albuquerque
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CameraZOOM-20150724151443737.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	527.9 KB
ID:	103067  
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:17 PM   #23

Thanks for this link also.

There is an EZ Pass discussion going on in another thread. These tiny trailers may incur an additional toll.?

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:34 AM   #24

Mine does not trip the ez pass. So I don't think the technology knows how to treat it. Officially I think they count axels. The caster tires don't have axels! For now, I have not been charged extra!

I'm not sure I would make the decision on enclosed motorcycle trailer, dingy, or hang off the bumper bike rack based upon the toll assessment alone.

I'd have loved to have been able to haul just one bike on a bumper mount carrier but both my wife and I use the bikes for touring not just local grocery runs.

These decision are so personal and based upon the RVers desires it doesn't surprise me there are so many options.

I took the Smart Trailer from Mass to Montana and Wyoming and back with no issues but those smaller Hiway rated tires spin faster than the 19inch rear tires. And I carry a trailer tire spare. I added bearing buddy's grease and added tire temp pressure monitors and an undercarriage camera to "watch" them.
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:57 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technorick View Post
Mine does not trip the ez pass. So I don't think the technology knows how to treat it. Officially I think they count axels. The caster tires don't have axels! For now, I have not been charged extra!

I'm not sure I would make the decision on enclosed motorcycle trailer, dingy, or hang off the bumper bike rack based upon the toll assessment alone.

I'd have loved to have been able to haul just one bike on a bumper mount carrier but both my wife and I use the bikes for touring not just local grocery runs.

These decision are so personal and based upon the RVers desires it doesn't surprise me there are so many options.

I took the Smart Trailer from Mass to Montana and Wyoming and back with no issues but those smaller Hiway rated tires spin faster than the 19inch rear tires. And I carry a trailer tire spare. I added bearing buddy's grease and added tire temp pressure monitors and an undercarriage camera to "watch" them.
Looks like you have a great plan and you have proven the durability of the Smart Trailer.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:52 PM   #26

When we had our Allegro motor home, we carried 2 50cc Honda scooters on the back. They were licensed for street use and fun to ride. There were a few places where we thought it was a little too dangerous to ride them and there were times when we rented a car when we got to our destination. They were a little hard to load and unload but overall we enjoyed them. We've sold the motor home, but still have the scooters. I rode one of them just this afternoon.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:39 PM   #27
Ambassador

I have ridden over 200,000 miles on motorcycles, and even scooters. Not sure what your primary reason for wanting a scooter is but riding a 2 wheeler in the rain kind of stinks. Scooting around the resort is one thing, but getting out on a real road with those things is begging for an ICU bed in a hospital some where. Because, with a max speed of 30 mph you are a hazard to traffic on most roads. Spending a month in some dark ICU is also a drag assuming you actually survive. Last time I checked that's also a hassle, get a car dolly, and buy a little Honda Fit or something just as small that will keep you safe. If you don't maybe consider organ donation before you start "scooting". Make your wishes known to your family etc...good luck to you.

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:25 AM   #28

Scooter does not mean moped...moped is a sub species of scooters which can come with over 600cc engines. My 150cc vespa will carry my 250 lbs. At 50mph all day long and i consider safe on anything but the interstates... and I dont ride in the rain. Not gonna drag a car around when we dont need em. Each to his own.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:39 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken K. View Post
I have ridden over 200,000 miles on motorcycles, and even scooters. Not sure what your primary reason for wanting a scooter is but riding a 2 wheeler in the rain kind of stinks. Scooting around the resort is one thing, but getting out on a real road with those things is begging for an ICU bed in a hospital some where. Because, with a max speed of 30 mph you are a hazard to traffic on most roads. Spending a month in some dark ICU is also a drag assuming you actually survive. Last time I checked that's also a hassle, get a car dolly, and buy a little Honda Fit or something just as small that will keep you safe. If you don't maybe consider organ donation before you start "scooting". Make your wishes known to your family etc...good luck to you.
You dont want to have that outlook on Scooters when/if you pull up beside a "Suzuki Burgman 650" or you might be Really Embarrased! Youroo!!