Old 08-18-2016, 06:52 PM   #11
Originally Posted by drivmsafe View Post
Check out the following website. Protect-a-Tow

We use it every time we flat-tow our CRV, and love it! It advertises that it can be used with tow dollies also.
Interesting product! I'll have to make sure the MINI is at least 54" wide!

Theo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:37 PM   #12
I have been towing my Volkswagon EOS on a tow dolly for three years. No damage has occurred. Would not change a tow dolly for towing all four down.

Sgtmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:41 AM   #13
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Manual tranny's only. In 2016 they changed their policy to no flat towing recommended. No change in tranny's between earlier years and 2016. Subi just didn't want to deal from damage caused by owners who didn't follow instructions and damaged the veh. Some numnuts were driving off with trans in gear which totally destroys trans and transfer/all wheel drive unit.

Then they claimed warranty work be done.

Aw 10-4. My wife drives subaru and we have owned em all. We even had one of the burnt orange cross treks. Now she has a 2016 forester. They have all been automatics. I'd love to set her car up for flat towing. Oh well. Thanks for the info eh.
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:29 AM   #14
Originally Posted by wayne and sherry View Post
Aw 10-4. My wife drives subaru and we have owned em all. We even had one of the burnt orange cross treks. Now she has a 2016 forester. They have all been automatics. I'd love to set her car up for flat towing. Oh well. Thanks for the info eh.
Not to get off OP subject but...
Do not flat tow an automatic/cvt equipped Subi. A Subi with an auto/cvt tranny MUST be on a dolly or flatbed tow truck to be moved.
Steve & Cheryl + Charlie & Casey, our furry kids.

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
Camping trips this year so far...8
Days camping...75
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:24 PM   #15
If your towing something like a pick up or jeep think damage be minimal , I tow flat a fiat, it's low to ground, sooo. Got a few rock chips on paint, I use a front end bra. Nothing I did not expect .
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:37 PM   #16
Citrus County, Fl.
Our first 1000 mile trip towing I got a couple of rock chips low on the front. After that I bought and installed the Roadmaster Tow Defender which is a screen that fits over my Falcon2. Since installing I have towed about 1500 miles with no new chips. In my opinion, less money than the body work it would take to repair the damage done.
2016 Forester 3011DS
2015 Toyota Corrola S toad
PREVIOUS: 2015 Flagstaff 832IKBS
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:16 PM   #17
There is no way around it the front of the car is going to get beat up I have the mud flap got the full bra it's a 0/12 Kia Soul it's been towed about 25 k back of the MH got it new going to drag it till the wheels fall off
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:14 PM   #18
Check your tow bar angle...

I read your post, and the first thing that jumped out at me is to be sure to check the angle of your tow bar. Having driven a Mini for several years, it is very low to the ground. Not familiar with your coach, but I would imagine the hitch is quite high. I've read up on several tow bars, and as I recall, they specify that the tow bar should be very close to level when hooked up. Just a thought to check the website for your particular tow bar - you may need to use some form of drop hitch to maintain tow stability (such as BX88241 7” Rise/Drop Receiver, 10,000 lbs, 12” long | Blue Ox).

Every body has their preference for dolly/flat/trailer towing. I'm firmly in the flat-towing camp for many reasons. First, my coach is 44' long, and I tow a Yukon XL behind. Several times I have found the need to disconnect to maneuver (Sad to say, usually because I made a wrong turn ). With flat towing, I can disconnect, maneuver an re-connect in 10-15 minutes.

I also have to rent a garage to store my coach. The deepest garage I've ever been able to find is 50' deep. Not much room left for a dolly or trailer - and I don't want to rent additional storage space.

Regarding tow damage: RV's kick up debris from the wheels. I believe the higher ground clearance you tow vehicle has, the less of a problem debris will be. My toad sits comparatively high, but I've bought a Blue Ox Kar Gard screen (BX88255 KarGard II | Blue Ox) to go between the coach and toad. Not sure if it will be a problem, but the toad is new and I really don't want to chip it up!

Best of luck to you!

ckabrahamson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:25 PM   #19
I have a Blue Ox setup with the Blue Ox car guard that sits on top of the tow bar. the only damage I got so far was my own fault leaving the center rod out causing the guard to put a chip in my bumper no big deal. Roadmaster also has a similar setup
poppytoymaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:57 AM   #20
2014 and older Honda CRV and all Honda Element's can be flat towed with exceptional success. The Elements back seats fold flat and up revealing storage space of a 1/4 ton truck. I put 3bicycles when traveling and lots of 2x4, 6-8 sand or concrete bags, mulch bags ect: when day to day driving. Roadmaster Falcon II hitch and Invisibrake as 30+ states require a toad brake. Camping world has the towing parts and when you get a sale on parts and labor it runs approx $2k to buy and install including the Invisibrake

Dc8mdtmech is offline   Reply With Quote

newbie, toad, towing