Old 07-20-2018, 05:03 PM   #1

Question Toad Hookup Recommendations

HELP!!
I am the new owner of a 2017 Forest River FR3 30 that came with a tow bar (no plate) and I am confused as to how to proceed. Do I buy a tow dolly with electric brakes and tow a variety of front wheel drive vehicles or do I buy a vehicle and have the tow plate installed The tow plate installation is costly, requires modification of the front end of the towed vehicle and the addition of a braking device. All answers are greatly appreciated.

Ltcbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:26 PM   #2

This is a hard question for an outsider. You have to evaluate if you want to tow a vehicle, and if so do you already own a vehicle that you would like to tow that is under 5000 lbs. That is the tow capacity for your FR3. Answering those two questions will guide your decisions for the best course of action. Each method has its pros and cons.

GT Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:05 AM   #3

Cool toad

I have done both started with tow dolly cons must move a round by hand ,not ez to on load car if you want to go some where on over night stop , must drive up on strap down , two more tires to worrie about . But any front wheel drive car can be toad some four wheel drive . so you can change to new car ez.
Tow bar great for over night stop if you want to go out to dinner two pins unplug wires and repeat to hook up . One persons job , no store in camp ground storage area. nothing else to maintain.
Cons can not swap to new car easily , Not all cars can be tow 4 down.

We had a problem with rv in traffic had to unload car in traffic in road remove dolly to safe place than move rv safe place . because of road block,whould have been great to pull pins drive a way.
FR3 can Pull 5,000 lbs Have to add weight of tow dolly. Love tow bar BLUE-OX bar and tow plate,2016 Chevy Equinox.
Carl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:45 AM   #4

Thanks for the help. Now that i,ve decided on 4 down tow what disqualifies a vehicle from being towed four down other than weight?
Ltcbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:04 AM   #5
Empty Nesters

Take a look at Motorhome Magazines dingy towing guides:
Downloadable Dinghy Guides | MotorHome Magazine

Lots of good info in these downloadable by year guides.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:05 AM   #6

Read the owner's manual for the vehicle you want to tow OR I'm sure someone will be along directly with the link of possible vehicles listed in a publication

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:55 PM   #7
Lacey's Spring, AL

there are too many things that could 'disqualify' a vehicle for being towed 4-down, but mostly it's either the manufacturer doesn't allow it(at least under warranty), or the transmission doesn't allow it(or you have to disconnect the drive shaft, add a transmission lube pump, or some type of substantial modification, etc).

There are folks that will figure out a way to tow any vehicle, but most use the dinghy towing guide by motorhome magazine to see if either their current vehicle can be towed, as it is, or if a vehicle they are considering can be.

Having a tow bar with the RV purchase may or may not be a plus. If it's one that will work with your application, fine, but if your vehicle is too heavy for it, or it doesn't operate the way that you wish, another tow bar might be for you.
You'll have to buy and install a baseplate regardless. And probably a lighting harness too.

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada... from W.C. Georgia, then W. North Carolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:48 AM   #8

We tow a Chevy Sonic (2800 lbs). I installed a Blue Ox base plate (instructions on utube), lighting rig and a Patriot braking

anolefan4life is offline   Reply With Quote