Old 12-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #1

The DW and I are considering our options for pulling a vehicle. At this point I'm leaning towards a flat towed vehicle. So I'm wanting to hear people's experiences with TOADs on their FR3. Especially interested in the vehicles weight and any impacts to driving quality - particularly if going up and down steep grades/mountains (nothing crazy, just 5% or 6% grades on Interstates).

I'd also like to hear people preferences on what kinds of tow bars they've used.

If you're a big fan of dollies or trailers I'd like to hear what you have to say, but my thoughts are I'd like to save on the weight, expense and space required for those options, especially once you get to the campground.

spicyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
There are pros and cons to either, and everyone has an opinion on each.

I bought a dolly to tow our Mazda CX-5 with. It was the cheapest of all the alternatives, especially since the car is paid for. Yes, it does take a few minutes to load and strap the car down. Yes, you do have to have a place to store it. IMO, the biggest upside is that Im not as limited for flat towed vehicles when choosing the next one.

cucamelsmd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
I have 2011 4 Door Jeep Rubicon and have had no problems towing. We use an RViBrake for our auxiliary brake. We had Camping World install our tow hitch system (falcon All-Terrain Tow Bar) when they had a deal going on. The most important suggestion I can give you is take your time and travel at a safe speed, it's the other drivers that don't understand a large vehicles braking distance requirements.

It sure makes it nice to have the toad with you when you want to go explore, hope this helps.
Rolling Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
We have a 2011 Georgetown 350 and currently using a dolly. Just bought a chevy equinox, one of the few new small suv's that are flat towable. There seems to be a lot of changes to vehicles being able to tow 4 wheels down. I double checked owners manual online for any vehicle that I was interested in. As for towing I never could tell the difference in driving with or without car dolly. Mileage dropped 1-2 mpg, more in hilly driving, but I have not driven in mountains. Good Luck!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
I've also heard pros and cons on flat tow or dolly. I chose to go with a 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport to flat tow behind our FR3. Easy to hook up, with the proper equipment, and fairly lightweight. We us the toad for on road and off road excursions.
Smooth Roads, and, Drive 'em Safe

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:26 AM   #6
I flat tow a 2009 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon using a Roadmaster all terrian towbar. I repleced the the stock front bumper with a Tomken Machine bumper that has the tabs for the two bar welded on the bumber. I use a Brake Buddy auxcialiry breaking system and bought a wiring harness from cooltech that is a pig and play system for Jeep Wranglers. This works out great . Don't try to tow without using an aux. brake system. It is required in most states and IMO it is unsave to tow witout one. The Aux brake system also has a break away system that will stop your TOAD if it should get disconnected form the motorhome. Happy Towing.
Jdurham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #7

2014 FR3 30d owner. I just completed installing a falcon II 6000 lb tow bar. I tow a 2006 Honda CRV ~3000 lbs. Needed to save $. Bought used bar with new set up for CRV. Purchased RVi2 for braking system. A must where I live. I drive mostly mountains (lake Tahoe area) in No. CA. Trip to state of WA without any issues. All worked well. Pretty easy to install. Do you homework with the vehicles!
D5106ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
2015 FR3 30DS owner. I tow with a Roadmaster II 6000 and use an Invisibrake. My toad is a 2014 Toyota Corolla 6 speed manual transmission. They all work in perfect harmony together. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1407778806.076013.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	746.6 KB
ID:	60196

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #9
Just bought this TOAD to be connected to this by a Blue Ox Alpha. Have the Pro's hooking it all together next Wednesday just in time for a 30 minute trip on Friday to the company camping trip.
2014 FR3 30DS

Bobb36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:04 PM   #10
I use a tow dolly to pull a Mazda 3 manual 6 speed.

-With front two wheels off the ground odometer doesn't rack up the miles.
-Break controller always connected to trailer brakes so nothing to connect except electrical.

-Strapping on front tires is a real chore particular in the rain.
-Bottoms out at some campgrounds so you have to unhook and rehook it up off property.
-You are supposed to let air out of trailer tires to prevent it from bouncing if it's unloaded. This gets old and I end up not doing it.
-If your steering wheel doesn't lock you have to secure it with ratchet straps to the frame of your seat
-If your bumper doesn't clear the ramp you have to use levelers to raise up your front end when getting on the ramp or it cracks your faring.
- need place to store.
- lots of dirty hands and parts.

Tow dolly, it's hell really. Add 45 minutes to your pack up time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

grotto69 is offline   Reply With Quote