Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2018, 10:09 PM   #1

Toilet Odor

Just bought a used 2016 FR3 30DS and took a trip this past weekend. We has a 5th Wheel that served us well, but decided to move up. In my past experiences I would monitor my black water tank and dump as necessary, giving the chemicals time to break down solids and paper. In my FR3, even thou a larger black water tank than than the 5th wheel, I am finding I may need to dump it almost every day due to odor. It almost seems as if the vent is blocked somewhere. Anyone else had this problem?
ehwhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehwhitt View Post
Just bought a used 2016 FR3 30DS and took a trip this past weekend. We has a 5th Wheel that served us well, but decided to move up. In my past experiences I would monitor my black water tank and dump as necessary, giving the chemicals time to break down solids and paper. In my FR3, even thou a larger black water tank than than the 5th wheel, I am finding I may need to dump it almost every day due to odor. It almost seems as if the vent is blocked somewhere. Anyone else had this problem?
Please read this thread:

Dometic model 300 odor problem and replacement

I replace the toilet with a Dometic 320 and installed a Fan-Tastic Fan with vent cover in the bathroom. I never close the vent.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
Please read this thread:

Dometic model 300 odor problem and replacement

I replace the toilet with a Dometic 320 and installed a Fan-Tastic Fan with vent cover in the bathroom. I never close the vent.
It has a vent and fan, after selling the odor the first time I tried opening the vent and using the fan. Neither helped. I checked the vent on top. Strangely both arevover the shower, across the hall from the toilet. My next move will be to remove the toilet and see what I find.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:57 PM   #4
Site Team

It is usually recommended to turn off the vent fan when flushing the toilet. Many times the negative pressure it creates will draw odors out of the black tank. I would also suggest a thorough cleaning as it is possible the previous owner was not as thorough as you were with your previous RV.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:00 PM   #5

Have a look at the roof vent hole it might be plugged. I would try to send something down it. Maybe a wire snake shake it around. The previous owner may have filled the unit so full that the bottom of that vent maybe plugged.
Iankerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iankerr View Post
Have a look at the roof vent hole it might be plugged. I would try to send something down it. Maybe a wire snake shake it around. The previous owner may have filled the unit so full that the bottom of that vent maybe plugged.
True, i will see if i can get something thru the vent line.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:33 PM   #7

I agree, the previous owner may not have cleaned it well. At the start of a trip I throw a few gallons of water down the toilet followed by a bag or two of ice. The ice will agitate like a washing machine and hopefully wash the "material" of the sides of the black tank. First out of the way dirt lot empty the black tank.
I also use some blue colored chemical (forget what its called) to the toilet which helps.
Clamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamper View Post
I agree, the previous owner may not have cleaned it well. At the start of a trip I throw a few gallons of water down the toilet followed by a bag or two of ice. The ice will agitate like a washing machine and hopefully wash the "material" of the sides of the black tank. First out of the way dirt lot empty the black tank.
I also use some blue colored chemical (forget what its called) to the toilet which helps.
Thanks,
Old 11-24-2018, 04:56 PM   #9

Being as it's a used unit you have no knowledge or how the previous owner maintained their holding tanks.

I had a trailer I bought used that had the proverbial "poop mountain" in the black tank because the owner used it as a Park Model and just left the valve open.

I poured a cup of Dawn in the tank and filled it 3/4 full with water. Took the trailer for a drive, parked it and let it sit for a day or so.

Drained the tank, filled it 3/4 full again, went for a drive, and drained again. Problem solved. No more "poo cone" and the smell went away.

Reason I only filled tank 3/4 full both times is that I wanted water to slosh around to clean the inside top of the tank too. While driving a couple of swerves when pretty much alone of the road helped slosh the contents around. Leaving it all to set overnight insured that the soapy solution would penetrate the dried dung so it would flush out easier.

For cleaning a stinky tank I'm sure there are hundreds of family recipe's but I've found that good old Dawn is a good initial cleaner for built up solids. From there just about any recipe is good as long as the tank is well flushed when emptied.

BTW, if one starts smelling a lot of urine smell it should be obvious that a good cleaning of the throne itself, inside and outside of the bowl, and offenders should take better aim.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:28 PM   #10

Did you read all the reviews about the fr3
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote