Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #21
Retired guy

What state did you buy it in?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Big Dog 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:01 PM   #22

Without seeing your vehicle, I can't say for sure, but this problem sounds like an intermittent blockage of your exhaust system, possibly the catalytic converter. The symptoms you described sound like it.
Blocked exhaust systems are one of the least understood issues by mechanics, because many aren't trained on how air flows through an engine. So, they rely on sensors and look at data.
Old mechanics understood in detail how engines worked MECHANICALLY, whereas new mechanics are trained on electronic systems and don't know the fundamentals.
Just my opinion...
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:26 PM   #23

I had the same problem with my f350 they kept reinstalling the running programs and updates but never worked. Funny thing is I installed a dash mate in the truck and the problem stopped. Seams the computer on the f350 was under the dash and it was over heating from direct sun light on the dash. from having to small of cooling fan. The dealership was informing ford motor of the fix for this problem but who knows if anything went past an e-mail.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:29 PM   #24

Would a rv fall under the federal lemon law. If so maybe consider returning it under the lemon law.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:57 PM   #25

No Federal lemon law I know of and each state is different. Check your state website.
b1barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:57 PM   #26

California has an outstanding lemon law!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:05 PM   #27

top person to contact

Hi, Throttle body won't always throw a code...depends on vehicle. As others have mentioned. I had a similar situation in my truck( F150) and it was the throttle body. It could be many things, like TPS (throttle position sensor, processor, wiring, etc....There is a tool that the techs can monitor a ton of sensors in real time. There are parameters to these sensors. They can see the voltages, whether they switch on and off (trying not to get to techy). If the techs can't interpret these values then your just wasting your time....Ask service manager if there are any "TSB'S" for this vehicle. A TSB is a notice describing a known problem with a vehicle that all the dealers have access to. I would find it utterly irresponsible if he hasn't already checked.....
P.S, Check mileage of vehicle at the time you dropped it off and mileage when you picked it up. A 2 mile trip is not sufficient for a road test when a vehicle is having this kind of problem,
Old 06-12-2015, 05:20 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by j free View Post
Would a rv fall under the federal lemon law. If so maybe consider returning it under the lemon law.
I was thinking the same thing. If it applies, carefully document everything that has been going on (who, what, when, where) and get some help.

It really sucks that you're having to deal with this, and I hope it all works out very soon.
Days Camped 2015: 40
Days Camped 2016: 03
Christian_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:38 AM   #29

I agree with Ford Idaho, and when driving back from the shop if it does it turn around, take it back, these things can be really tough, installing the monitor is good, that might tell them something. In electronics the intermittent is the very worse thing to troubleshoot. Also Forrest River didn't choose the F53 chassis, it's the only game in town, (at least for a few more months until workhorse is back).
willide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:30 AM   #30

I appreciate so much all your posts and info. As it stands now, the monitor did show up some anomalies (for lack of a better description) but the shop people said it wasn't enough to diagnose what is wrong. They have now ordered what they call a "black box" and they said once it is installed, my husband can push a button when the loss of RPM'S occur and this gadget will instantaneously do all sorts of miraculous things to record what is happening. It's supposed to be in next week. I will keep y'all informed of what happens. It is so heartening to this old gal that so many people have been responsive to our problem. I love RVers.
gfritz1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:53 AM   #31

Shot in the dark. My 2014 FR3 30DS broke down on my first trip. I had a full water tank and a bumpy road due to construction. I pinched the fuel pump wire between some canister and the frame. Now mine just died due to blowing fuse to fuel pump. But what if yours is only intermittently shorting and not blowing fuse, only not pumping fuel for a moment. Not sure if this is a posibility, but can't hurt to check fuel pump wire.
StephanFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:29 AM   #32

Not FR issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfritz1939 View Post
Yes, it's a Ford issue and we called Ford in April..that was where we started by calling the number on the Ford warranty. We contacted Forest River because it is a Forest River product and we were looking for some help to move things along with Ford. This has been going on almost two months. When it began, the RV had less than 10K miles. It's quite disappointing to say the least.
I understand you say that you know it is not a FR issue BUT you here at a FR forum, I like a few others said it is a ford issue, they had the chassis and they are the ones who have the tools to fix it.
Yes it is VERY frustrating to have to deal with a problem over and over, but with all the systems in cars and trucks today it sometimes takes a lot of time to fix it.
My cousin has a 2008 American Revolution and for the first 2 yrs he owned it it left him walking a number of times, but guess what the issue had nothing to do with Fleetwood, it was the chassis company (Spartan) who had to find a fix the issue, and yes Spartan paid for all the tows and time, but still 2 yrs!
SO yes I like you get very mad but you need to go to a different dealer (and make sure they are a truck dealer, not cars) and let them work in it, it could be a big or simple issue but you need ford.

So good luck and Happy Camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:36 AM   #33

Thank you for the response. The RV has been in service at a place Ford, per our warranty, told us to take it...Rush Trucking. They did finally detect something from the GEO monitor they installed but said it was insufficient to fully identify the problem. They have ordered what they refer to as a "black box" to be installed, hopefully this week. Then we'll take it back out on the road and hope the codes or whatever show up adequately to find a permanent fix.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:50 PM   #34
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Top person to contact

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, AKA federal lemon law. Although, as mentioned, each state does have its own lemon law act also.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:56 PM   #35

Thsnks for the post. Yes, I have researched Ohio's Lemon Law for RVs. I am still hoping the issue can be resolved and fixed. We really like the motorhome other than this chassis problem or whatever it is. Rush Trucking, the repair shop, called today to say the data recorder came in and we're taking the rv in tomorrow for installation. Apparently it is much the same as a flight data recorder...a "black box." Sure hope this can diagnose the problem.