Old 11-13-2016, 08:15 AM   #1

Tow/haul mode?

I remember reading somewhere a recommendation that I always use Tow/Haul mode (even when not towing). What's the prevailing thought on that idea? I have the 2015 model with 5 speed automatic tranny.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:40 AM   #2

I do not use it when NOT towing, in the hills and mountain's yes and the engine brake when going down.

My 350 has a manual mode but I have not decided if there is a need for it yet.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:47 AM   #3

T/H mode is basically nothing more than a computer remap of your transmissions shift points. It allows the motor to rev higher before shifting gears. Do it, dont do it, it really makes little difference except maybe in fuel economy.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 09:48 AM   #4

The only place I would use tow/haul mode is going up or down mountains. It changes the shift points so you aren't searching for gears going up and keeping to the lower gears when going down.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:28 AM   #5

I use tow/haul anytime I'm towing. Not only does it manage gear shifting but it also automatically kicks in downshifting to engage some engine braking. This is great for quick stops when someone decides to invade your safe distance space. Now of course this is with a Diesel engine...

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:33 AM   #6
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozedog View Post
I remember reading somewhere a recommendation that I always use Tow/Haul mode (even when not towing). What's the prevailing thought on that idea? I have the 2015 model with 5 speed automatic tranny.
tow/haul just wastes gas when you're when not towing cuz you'll never hit your overdrive gear. Whenever I'm towing, it's in tow/haul mode with engine braking on.....
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepMeep View Post
tow/haul just wastes gas when you're when not towing cuz you'll never hit your overdrive gear. Whenever I'm towing, it's in tow/haul mode with engine braking on.....
Not true for my F250. I use tow/haul evertime I tow and cruise at 60mph in 6th gear running just under 1500 rpm... I guess Ram is different?

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 12:28 PM   #8
RJJ

This is from the owners manual:

The tow/haul feature:
• Delays upshifts to reduce the frequency of transmission shifting.
• Provides engine braking in all forward gears, which will slow your vehicle and assist you in controlling your vehicle when descending a grade.
• Depending on driving conditions and load conditions, may downshift the transmission, slow your vehicle and control your vehicle speed when descending a hill, without pressing the accelerator pedal. The amount of downshift braking provided will vary based upon the amount the brake pedal is pressed.
The tow/haul feature improves transmission operation when towing a trailer or a heavy load. All transmission gear ranges are available when using tow/haul.

I personally use mine all the time, towing or not. I like the downshifting coming to stop lights or exiting the interstate. You'll get many different answers and people's preferences, use it or not it's up to you. Won't hurt anything either way.

2015 Georgetown 329DS
2014 Chevy Equinox
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:17 AM   #9

I also use tow/haul only on significant hills. You can activate it at any time by pressing the button and immediately you will feel more control over the speed and the shifting. When you press on the break hard, it will automatically shift the engine down a gear. I find it really helps control the speed on hills.

I would not like it for regular driving as it does shift harder and it's just not necessary.

mjessie is offline   Reply With Quote