Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2015, 10:13 AM   #1

Towing a Jeep Wrangler Xlimited

Does anyone with FR3 30DS tow a Jeep 4dr? If so, what is the gas mileage like? What was the cost for towing package? How does it handle? Do I need to have the special braking system installed? Thanks

Nelly
DaRealDeal77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:05 AM   #2

Black water tank

Good morning every one
Can some one explain how you proceed to flush your black and gray water tank on your FR3
tinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:54 AM   #3
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinome View Post
Good morning every one
Can some one explain how you proceed to flush your black and gray water tank on your FR3
You've got a few choices tinome. There is available at many RV outlets a clear back flush adapter connecting to the flush valve that uses your hose to back flush the tank. Works pretty good. There is also a wand that you put on the end or a hose and stick in the toilet that cleans the tank. Or, you can add a black tank flush. The newer FR3's come with one installed at the factory. Unfortunately, not older ones, like ours

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:13 PM   #4

[QUOTE=DaRealDeal77 Do I need to have the special braking system installed? Thanks

Nelly[/QUOTE]

You will get differing opinions on this one, but most sources, and some state laws, say that you need these. I use one and agree with those sources. Your motorhome has a braking capacity designed to meet your coach's weight and carrying capacity. Adding additional weight prolongs the stopping distance and can make a big difference in an emergency stop.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Good morning every one
On the black tank, if you have the built in one from FR all you do is hook your water hose to the inlet labeled Black Water Flush and turn the water on, that's all you do. Make sure your drain is open so it doesn't overflow the tank.

The grey tank doesn't have a flush, I just fill it about 2/3 from the faucets and drain it.
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:12 PM   #6

DaRealDeal77, I flat tow a 2dr and I can't even tell it's back there, though I do not know the weight difference from a 4dr. Mileage also did not change noticeably. I live in CA, so the brake is required and worth the cost if you ask me. We'll be headed up to 7,500 feet this weekend, so I'll let you know how that goes including mileage which was not great without the toad on a previous trip to a similar elevation in different mountains.

Antone

2015 Forest River FR3 30DS - No Ragrets

Toad - 2011 Jeep Wrangler
Antone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:32 AM   #7

I tow one with my 300ts concord and still get over 10mpg, most states require a braking system and if you had an accident god forbid, your insurance company will not be happy about paying.
2017 SUZUKI KINQQUAD 500 EPS
TRAVELINBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #8

We tow my 2013 Jeep Rubicon behind our Georgetown. We average 6.8 to 7.3 going to Myrtle Beach from Pittsburgh Pa. My Rubicon has the lights set up to work while in tow along with the RVIBrake 2 system.

Works perfect and we have piece of mind knowing it's safe. Jeep tracks really well behind our Coach.
2018 Coachmen Chaparral 338 TSIK
2016 (Seasonal Site) Chariot Park Model
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Good morning every one
Just a suggestion! If you bring up your problem on someone else's thread it's typically viewed as "high jacking" that thread. It's always best to start a new thread if you have a separate problem/issue you need help with. It's your call of course, just wanted go give you a heads up.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:11 PM   #10
7 Year Class A RV'er

We flat tow a Wrangler Unlimited. Use the Invisibrake and love it. Works great!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:22 PM   #11

piloto

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRealDeal77 View Post
Does anyone with FR3 30DS tow a Jeep 4dr? If so, what is the gas mileage like? What was the cost for towing package? How does it handle? Do I need to have the special braking system installed? Thanks

Nelly
You will definitely need a braking system even if you pull a lighter vehicle (2500) even . I could tell a big difference pulling a fiat at 2500 l bs Some states require the braking system no matter what you pull.
I have a new 4r door rubicon ordered that will be delivered the next couple of days that I am going to tow- I don't anticipate the gas mileage being that much more. I get 7.5 with the fiat and think that I will get about 7 with the jeep, from what I have heard from other motorhome people that pull the 4 door wrangler.
Lfrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:44 PM   #12

Just went through all this so I will share what I learned...

4 door jeep wrangler weighs about 4500lbs, 2 door weighs about 3500lbs. FR3 tow capacity is rated at 5000lbs. I prefer to stay 75% or less than the tow rating so I went with the 2 door Wrangler. I highly recommend a braking system. Your motorhome will stop your Jeep well when your in a straight lane of traffic, but think if you have to brake heavily on curve...the braking action to the Jeep is reduced and the Jeep's momentum would be pushing the rear end of your motorhome to the side - not good in an emergency situation. I went with the Blue Ox Patriot - as I researched braking systems it seemed to be the easiest to install, and the easiest to rig and un-rig. I wanted simple. I also like the remote control for up in the drivers seat. Let's me know if the thing is working or not. For most of my normal city driving stop and go traffic the brake control does not engage - but when I have to make a quicker stop it does.

An additional hint since you are dealing with a Jeep - don't get wrapped up in aftermarket lights, wiring harnesses, diodes, or extra bulbs. Go to the Jeep dealer and order the RV wiring harness. It installs into your OEM wiring harness and has a 7 contact plug that connects to your motorhome jack. When plugged in it enables your Jeep taillights to work and follow your tow vehicle lights...very simple - works great easy to hook and unhook. Last weekend I towed the Jeep 1200 miles and everything worked great.
ETCJMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:48 AM   #13

Yes I tow a 2015 wrangler, bought everything from etrailer.com great customer service. Road master base plate l, falcon 2 towbar. Wiring kit that by-passes electrical system. Biggest job is getting wire through frame there are baffles in frame so you can't run wire from front to back. There are holes in frame about 3' apart so you have to go from hole to hole (2man job ) Entire kit less than $1,000. Tows great milage around 9 with 32' 2015 Sunseeker.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:07 AM   #14

I tow a Wrangler unlimited with a Sunseeker 2860. I use a blue ox tow bar and tow plate with a RVI auxiliary brake. All but a couple of states require auxiliary brakes.
My setup works great
tjasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:24 PM   #15

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1446409445.088375.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	93458Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1446409457.240620.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	93459

Antone

Old 11-12-2015, 08:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETCJMac View Post
Just went through all this so I will share what I learned...

4 door jeep wrangler weighs about 4500lbs, 2 door weighs about 3500lbs. FR3 tow capacity is rated at 5000lbs. I prefer to stay 75% or less than the tow rating so I went with the 2 door Wrangler. I highly recommend a braking system. Your motorhome will stop your Jeep well when your in a straight lane of traffic, but think if you have to brake heavily on curve...the braking action to the Jeep is reduced and the Jeep's momentum would be pushing the rear end of your motorhome to the side - not good in an emergency situation. I went with the Blue Ox Patriot - as I researched braking systems it seemed to be the easiest to install, and the easiest to rig and un-rig. I wanted simple. I also like the remote control for up in the drivers seat. Let's me know if the thing is working or not. For most of my normal city driving stop and go traffic the brake control does not engage - but when I have to make a quicker stop it does.

An additional hint since you are dealing with a Jeep - don't get wrapped up in aftermarket lights, wiring harnesses, diodes, or extra bulbs. Go to the Jeep dealer and order the RV wiring harness. It installs into your OEM wiring harness and has a 7 contact plug that connects to your motorhome jack. When plugged in it enables your Jeep taillights to work and follow your tow vehicle lights...very simple - works great easy to hook and unhook. Last weekend I towed the Jeep 1200 miles and everything worked great.

Just curious as to what you set the blue ox patriot gain setting on? We have that same system, but haven't used it yet. We are leaving for a week long trip next weekend.
Iplayjems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:24 AM   #17

I have a new rubicon 4door and chose the stay in play braking system it is a lot more trouble to install, but once it is installed no trouble at all . You hook up to your coach with the regular trailer plug and then flip one switch in the jeep and you are all ready to go with one of the best braking systems on the market. It applies tow vehicle brake progressively as needed. Also has a light that comes on in the coach to show that is working every time you apply brakes. For lighting system, again a little trouble to install but worth it . Hour and a half to install the extra bulbs in the tail lights of the tow vehicle and run wires forward to base plate and trailer plug. tail light s then work off of the motorhome 12 volt system and there is no draw what so ever from the towed vehicle- no dead battery on tow vehicle when you get to your destination. Just hitch your tow bar to your tote with a regular plug and you have brakes and lights everytime , oh and no braking system in your way in the towed vehicle. Saves time and trouble each time you hook up or unhook your towed vehicle. Very simple .
Lfrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:14 PM   #18
7 Year Class A RV'er

The braking is a must. Required by law in a lot of states but unsafe without it regardless. On the lights, I bought a Blue Ox light kit for about $195 that simply plugs into the existing OEM wiring harness. Works great and takes about 20 minutes to install. No diodes or extra bulbs to mess with.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:32 PM   #19

This is what I used for the lights on my 2011 Wrangler 2 door. Piece of cake, $40 on Amazon shipped.

http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.co...ses/jeep7.html

Antone

Old 01-14-2016, 11:20 AM   #20
from Cali

I'm glad to see that some people have experience towing the four-door Wrangler with the Ford chassis. My daily driver is a 2014 Rubicon Unlimited. I don't want to tow it every time but it would be nice to bring along going to certain locations especially those with fun off-highway areas. If anyone has any other information or pictures and product reviews on this topic please share.

thanks

2015 FR3 30DS
Central Coast of California
Central Coast of California
RV Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing