Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2018, 08:53 PM   #1

Transfer Switch and Shore Power Cord Relocation

So I finally got around to be sick and tired of messing around with the shore power cord in my storage bay. I also got tired of always having to swap my shore power plug from the generator socket to the bollard when I am camping with hookups. I cannot believe that FR didn’t make this at least and option to have a transfer switch with a removable shore power cord for storage. Mind boggling.

Total cost... about $250.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0900.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	167406

Name:	IMG_0901.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	167407

Name:	IMG_0902.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	167408

Name:	IMG_0903.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	167409

For anyone that wants to attempt this, I recommend a 2-7/8” hole saw to cut into the wall. I was noticing saw “walk” when I examined the cut out core. Had I used the 2-1/2” hole saw, I probably would have had a bigger problem on my hand other than finding stainless steel hardware that was long enough. God bless Amazon because Home Depot sure didn’t have the 8-32 x 3” pan head screws.
alexchuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:54 PM   #2

Still need to hook up the generator but you get the idea.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:07 PM   #3

Couple more shots of the install.

Name:	IMG_0906.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	339.1 KB
ID:	167495

Name:	IMG_0907.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	167496
Old 04-16-2018, 05:56 PM   #4

Shore power

How does the original setup work?
Maxrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxrates View Post
Thought it was quite clear. The shore power cable had to be unplugged from the shore pedestal and plugged into a (50 amp) receptacle inside the coach that was fed by the generator to get genny power. Now there is auto switching to generator power while still connected to shore pedestal. Shore power will be disconnected and genny power will now be the power source.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:21 PM   #6

Quote:

In place of the transfer switch, there used to be a J-Box where the shore power cord was connected to the house power. The generator had its own J-Box with receptacle in the bay as well. Every time you would need to connect to the generator, you would need to plug in your shore power line to the receptacle that was for the generator. And every time you would want to switch from generator to shore power, you would shut off the generator and then unplug the cord in the bay and then plug it in to shore power. All the while wrestling with the heavy cord inside the storage bay. Not fun when your bay is full.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:30 PM   #7

OK thanks.
But it doesn't seem all that hard. When you unplug from the shore power and roll up the cord just plug it into the inside outlet. Takes what....3 seconds? Also why would we ever need gen power and shore power?

Maybe if there is a power failure in the middle of the night...? Then it could be a pain to have to go out in the rain
Old 04-16-2018, 06:35 PM   #8

Quote:
OK thanks.
But it doesn't seem all that hard. When you unplug from the shore power and roll up the cord just plug it into the inside outlet. Takes what....3 seconds? Also why would we ever need gen power and shore power?

Maybe if there is a power failure in the middle of the night...? Then it could be a pain to have to go out in the rain

You’re right. Not hard at all. It’s a hassle for ME. One that I would rather not have to deal with when I am camping. I would also rather the cord not take up valuable space in my largest bay that could be used to haul more booze and put into a less used compartment. But hey to each their own.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:40 PM   #9

Very clean install looks professional (better than factory).
merlinhomeauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:46 PM   #10

Its a good modification. Until I started looking at the FR3 I didnt know there was even a manual design like that.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:51 PM   #11

Quote:
OK thanks.

It's not gen AND shore power it's gen OR shore power. Can't have both at same time but it is most convenient for switching from one source to the other (either going from shore to gen or gen to shore). You'll never know how convenient till you don't have it.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:11 PM   #12

Well.....maybe we can invent one that gets out of the RV and plugs the cord in for me....
Old 04-17-2018, 08:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Well.....maybe we can invent one that gets out of the RV and plugs the cord in for me....

Been done. They named it spouse.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:50 AM   #14

I too find it amazing. Not having an ATS was standard back in 84. But to skimp on something I pay $150 for, seems short sighted.

The detachable cord is something some like, some don't, so that doesn't bother me as much.
apr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:01 AM   #15

That's a VERY clean installation. Well done, and thanks for posting the results. A few questions:

1) You still need a power cable from the power source to the exterior receptacle, right? If so, then there still is the issue of storing the cable, maybe just a shorter one?
2) Did you modify the existing power cable to make a new one, or purchase a brand new one?

We have a very long 50A cable, and it is a pain to store since it takes up so much room, but it did come in handy the other week when the power pedestal was on the opposite side of the campsite pad. It was a wide pad, too. Made it with room to spare, but it was quite the surprise when we pulled in.
dathomas9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathomas9 View Post
That's a VERY clean installation. Well done, and thanks for posting the results. A few questions:

1) You still need a power cable from the power source to the exterior receptacle, right? If so, then there still is the issue of storing the cable, maybe just a shorter one?
2) Did you modify the existing power cable to make a new one, or purchase a brand new one?

We have a very long 50A cable, and it is a pain to store since it takes up so much room, but it did come in handy the other week when the power pedestal was on the opposite side of the campsite pad. It was a wide pad, too. Made it with room to spare, but it was quite the surprise when we pulled in.

Thank you for the kind words. For the cable that I purchased, I purchased a 25ft cable after looking at the 50ft ones and really thinking about it. In most cases 25ft is all you really need. That and like you said, the 50ft cord takes up a lot of space. I fit the 25ft with no issues.

I purchased a new cord instead of modifying one because of the cost of the components. I think it was a cost difference of $40 at the time to buy one pre-made vs buying the bulkhead power connector. This also gave me the option of making an extension cord out of my existing cord, which I have not done yet. But if I stick a male and a female connector on both ends, then I get (I think) about a 40ft long cable and I can basically bury the extension wherever I have space for it and I only have to dig it out of a bay when required, so I have two very manageable lengths of cord to deal with instead of one difficult long one.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:45 PM   #17

what kva generator do you have ? what is the brand and part number of the
auto transfer switch. and part number of the outer plug.

Bob
Kentucky Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:57 PM   #18

I have the Onan 5.5 gen set. Looks like pricing has gone up a little in the past few months though. Pictures of the plug and transfer switch with the Amazon title are attached.

Name:	IMG_0956.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	169368

Name:	IMG_0957.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	169369
Old 04-23-2018, 08:05 PM   #19

Transfer Switch and Shore Power Cord Relocation

Name:	IMG_0958.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	169376

I also picked up one of these. While the cord didn’t look strained, I was a little concerned with the fiberglass sidewall. I really should have put crush tubes in behind the Lauan along with fabricating up a nutplate to help spread out the load on the Lauan but this right angle cord should be plenty now. I tend to overbuild and overthink when it comes to mods. But this right angle adapter should work great for many years as a strain relief.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinhomeauto View Post
Very clean install looks professional (better than factory).
2X...nicely done!

Tags
cat, location, power, switch, transfer switch