Old 08-21-2015, 02:32 PM   #1

Transfer Switch with Surge Protector

I recently added a Go Power TS-30 Transfer switch to my FR3 30DS. Prior to this I was using a Surge Guard portable when hooking up to shore power. Wanting to keep this, I put the Surge Guard on the shore power input side of the relay on the Transfer Switch. I then put the generator power on the appropriate side of the switch.

I tested the generator first, which worked fine once the generator was running. The transfer switch relay switched over to the generator like it was supposed to. Once I stopped the generator, the relay disengaged, and i expected the shore power to then kick in. Even tho I noticed that the Surge Guard had a green light indicating power was good, I got nothing in the coach. Using a voltmeter, I swear that I saw power on the output contacts...

Has anyone successfully added these two together with the Surge Guard on the input side rather than the output side of the switch to the coach? I didn't think I needed it for the generator and wanted to avoid the time delay of the Surge Guard if switching.

Harleyreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

Is this applicable?
Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding | No~Shock~Zone

Old 08-23-2015, 07:43 PM   #3

My surge guard has a 3min delay before applying power. Did you wait for the surge guard countdown ?

2014 FR330 DS
Old 08-24-2015, 10:04 AM   #4

Thanks for the ground-neutral bonding link. Need to digest it. Might be applicable. Also I'm going to call Surge Guard today to see if they can help, since they also sell Transfer switches.
Harleyreb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transfer switch