Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2015, 06:16 PM   #1

Transmission / Shifting issues

Hey guys,

We bought the 2015 30 DS about 2-months ago and have had it out a couple times... so far we really like the coach, but I have a couple concerns.

This is my first MH and my first Ford product...
So my question is on the V10 Triton and Transmission...
I've driven this thing about 300 miles total. 100 miles not towing anything and 200 miles towing my Jeep.

When I drive it normally (not towing) I just put it in D and go... The transmission seems to really run up the rpm's before it shifts into the next gear.... I'm driving it pretty gently here and not by any means putting my foot into it. 1st and 2nd gears are pretty much the same, but once into 3rd it really rev's out before it goes into 4th... like 3200 rpms.

When I towed my jeep, I used the tow / haul mode button and put it in D and went normally. The tranny runs the engine to about 3500 before it will shift.... in 1st, 2nd and 3rd... I'm not sure it's normal. I'm a "car" guy and have a few hot rods or classic's but not one of them shift like this RV..
I'm about waiting for the motor to fly thru the floor and sometimes have to lift the accelerator before it will go to the next gear...
I almost don't have the will power to leave my foot in it to see if it will eventually shift.

Also in Tow / Haul mode and in D... once I crest a hill and start down the other side, the coach will normally pick up some speed... if you begin to brake for a corner or whatever, the tranny will down shift and fun out at about 4500 rpms.... it will not shift up or out of whatever gear that is until we hit the bottom of the grade....
This to me seems very hard on the motor or transmission... it is strange and I don't want to tear this thing up. 4500 rpm seems very extreme.
I will add that neither the transmission temp or engine temp rises when this happens.

Is this normal?...
Has anyone else experienced this?
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:12 PM   #2

Everything sounds normal to me working the way it was designed.

I personally don't use the tow/haul mode when I tow my jeep which is all the time now except to go get gas.(don't like the downshift design in the tow/haul mode)

The V-10 Loves the high RPM's

we have just under 24,000 on are FR3 DS-30

2014 JEEP WRANGLER WILLYS
Bobb36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb36 View Post
Everything sounds normal to me working the way it was designed.

I personally don't use the tow/haul mode when I tow my jeep which is all the time now except to go get gas.(don't like the downshift design in the tow/haul mode)

The V-10 Loves the high RPM's

we have just under 24,000 on are FR3 DS-30
So you've experienced the same thing...?
I'm not sure how an engine that is a production model can stay together through all those rpm's
Old 09-01-2015, 11:44 PM   #4

The Triton V10 does not get peak torque until over 3000 rpm, and peak horsepower until over 4000. It is working as designed.
1 Cockatiel-Lucky
dogsgocamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:20 AM   #5
Retired guy

Yup, completely normal

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Big Dog 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:46 AM   #6

No worries. Let that cat purr and lay on it. The V10 is meant to be wound up. Just make sure your dog house is tighten down so your not hearing TOO much engine noise. I know we picked up our '15 30DS, and it was pretty loud. Tightening down the hatches makes it a little more bareable once the seals are compressed. The Tow/Haul mode provides some engine braking when going down some grades, hence the upshift once you crest the hill. Just drive it like you stole it and enjoy!
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:26 AM   #7

I really like the motorhome.... after a few problems got fixed, it really is what we wanted and fits our lifestyle and family's needs.
I do not like the transmission... but I guess I'll just drive it the way it is for now. I talked to a Ford Tech in Salem Oregon near where I live and he said I could bring it in and maybe they have an update for the tranny or they could change shift point programing in the ECU...
I like the engine braking on the down-hills but 4500 rpm's seems like it's going to come apart.
I drove a NASCAR car once and it's the only thing that you needed to run up that high I've ever experienced...
FYI I only got 5.76 mpg on the trip towing the Jeep... lots of hills over here in Oregon... seems like it's up hill both ways!

Looking forward to a few more trips before we put it away for the winter.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:27 PM   #8

Concur with everyone that it is working as designed. This engine has been around over 10 years and the bugs have been long worked out. Regarding your fluid temps: don't trust the factory gauges - they are designed to only show increased temperatures when things get really hot. Try this add on gauge to read the real temperatures to 1º as reported by the engine computer. http://tinyurl.com/qjmn5xz Easy to install
Old 09-02-2015, 12:47 PM   #9
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojump36 View Post
I really like the motorhome.... after a few problems got fixed, it really is what we wanted and fits our lifestyle and family's needs.
I do not like the transmission... but I guess I'll just drive it the way it is for now. I talked to a Ford Tech in Salem Oregon near where I live and he said I could bring it in and maybe they have an update for the tranny or they could change shift point programing in the ECU...
I like the engine braking on the down-hills but 4500 rpm's seems like it's going to come apart.
I drove a NASCAR car once and it's the only thing that you needed to run up that high I've ever experienced...
FYI I only got 5.76 mpg on the trip towing the Jeep... lots of hills over here in Oregon... seems like it's up hill both ways!

Looking forward to a few more trips before we put it away for the winter.
5.76 is way too low. I just returned from a 10,000 mi trip from S Fla to Coeur d'Alene via NM, Moab, Hells Canyon and back through Glacier, Rocky Mtn and Chicago. I average over 8. I had a CEL come on and fuel econ was dismal like yours but it was a stuck valve in the evap canister. Fixed in TX and mpg back up. I get reasonable economy by driving at 60 - 63 mph, Slow starts, no cruise control unless on flat roads with favorable winds and no tow/haul (yes I tow).
The tow haul mode programming disables O/D.

There is another thread in this section where tuners are being discussed. All evidence indicates that a tuner will help you with your concern (which I share).

Spent a couple of weeks in your Ainsworth State Park last year. Loved it!
Old 09-02-2015, 12:59 PM   #10

Sounds very normal. The tranny senses when you are going downhill and what cruise control is set for. I like to drop out of cruise going up hills as I hate that engine winding up past 4000. However, you really need the tow/haul mode when coming down steep slopes or you risk brake damage. You will notice less down shifting going up hills as your fuel gets used. I only fill the tank all the way when I need the ballast while fighting side winds. Same goes for gray and black water tanks.
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
5.76 is way too low. I just returned from a 10,000 mi trip from S Fla to Coeur d'Alene via NM, Moab, Hells Canyon and back through Glacier, Rocky Mtn and Chicago. I average over 8. I had a CEL come on and fuel econ was dismal like yours but it was a stuck valve in the evap canister. Fixed in TX and mpg back up. I get reasonable economy by driving at 60 - 63 mph, Slow starts, no cruise control unless on flat roads with favorable winds and no tow/haul (yes I tow).
The tow haul mode programming disables O/D.

There is another thread in this section where tuners are being discussed. All evidence indicates that a tuner will help you with your concern (which I share).

Spent a couple of weeks in your Ainsworth State Park last year. Loved it!
What is a CEL?... is that a check engine light? I've only driven this thing 300 miles over the 2 1/2 months we've had it... we live in the Willamette Valley and it's in between (2) mountain ranges... the Cascade Range and the Coast Range... both have twisty and windy roads that go over each... so I can understand my poor mileage a little bit. Next spring we'll run this thing down to California and hit some flat roads.
Though you did have a bunch of mountains to go over too, I hope I can get better than that 5.7 that I pulled.
Ainsworth State Park is nice... The Columbia Gorge has a lot to offer... lots to do!
Old 09-02-2015, 03:05 PM   #12
Retired Ford Tech

If you ask your Ford dealer to run Oasis on your VIN to see if there is an update for the PCM concerning shifting issues. Also invest in a Scan Tool, you can a retrieve and clear(if you wish) any trouble codes that are stored in the PCM. And finally, the Tow/Haul mode just changes the shift points, the trans still uses OD!
rvpezzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:26 PM   #13
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojump36 View Post
What is a CEL?... is that a check engine light? I've only driven this thing 300 miles over the 2 1/2 months we've had it... we live in the Willamette Valley and it's in between (2) mountain ranges... the Cascade Range and the Coast Range... both have twisty and windy roads that go over each... so I can understand my poor mileage a little bit. Next spring we'll run this thing down to California and hit some flat roads.
Though you did have a bunch of mountains to go over too, I hope I can get better than that 5.7 that I pulled.
Ainsworth State Park is nice... The Columbia Gorge has a lot to offer... lots to do!
Yes, check engine light (actually it reads service engine soon for the codes I had)
As for the O/D issue, anyone who has a F-53 that has tried it and can confirm that the trans comes out of O/D when you actuate the tow/haul please chime in.
Maybe there is a problem with mine, a change over the years or bad info on the 5star website. I sure would like to know for sure.

Easiest way to check is when in cruise on a flat road without tow haul then push the button and look for rpm increase.

When you head South be sure to bring a fat wallet for fill ups.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:02 PM   #14

We do from western panhandle Idaho east over the mountains several times a year. Up to slow, down too fast as the song goes. Several long 6% grades.

Hate the way the engine and transmission are programed so am looking at some of the after market stuff out there, but need to wait as most void the powertrain warranty.

Also on flat lands don't like the up shifts for overpasses.

So keep posting so we can see what others are doing.
b1barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:35 PM   #15

I'm pretty sure my OD works in Regular D Mode and in Tow / Haul Mode...
I mean I don't really count the gears, but at the same speed (60-65) it seems to do the same RPM's in OD...
I just don't like the shift points getting to high gear... nothing I've driven revs that far except that NASCAR...
once it shifts out of 3rd, it runs great and is very manageable... 1st 3 gears though are crazy.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:51 PM   #16

You are all correct.. Our 2014 Sunseeker with the V-10 does not shift until it reaches at or slightly above the 3,000 RPM mark. I think your 2015 will have a 6 speed tranny
Ours has the 5 speed but either way they both work as engineered.

Brandon2
2014 Sunseeker 2500TS
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:53 PM   #17
Certified Curmudgeon

Just though that I should mention that I may be confusing terminology between O/D and torque converter lock up. I'll do some homework on that...

Edit: I found this definition on the countywide transmission website. It may not be the gospel but it makes sense;

13. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LOCK-UP AND OVERDRIVE?

Overdrive is a gear ratio inside the transmission of less than 1.00 to 1. For example, .95 to 1 means that, in overdrive, the input shaft turns .95 hundredths of a turn and the output shaft turns one complete turn. In most 2 and 3 speed transmissions, high gear ratio is 1.00 to 1, which is equal speed of input and output shafts. Lock-up is a function of the torque converter only. It means that the driving [or engine-driven] turbine is mechanically locked to the driven [or transmission-driving] turbine by a clutching device. A non-lockup or open converter is one with no such locking device. The driving turbine in this case is always turning faster than the driven turbine, and is thus slipping slightly, and loosing some efficiency and fuel economy, by turning the engine more RPM.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:22 PM   #18

You are correct Duckogram. The company I work for built the assembly equipment for the clutch carriers, torque converter, sub and final assembly and test for these transmissions.

As far as I am concerned keeping the torque converter out of lock is preferred when on hilly terrane.
b1barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:49 PM   #19

I have a Sunseeker 3010ds with the ford v10 for about three years. Most of that time we have had the 5Star tuning tune installed. It eliminates all of the shifting issues discussed. No more screaming trans as it shifts from low gear or down shifting going up a hill.
kswing60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswing60 View Post
I have a Sunseeker 3010ds with the ford v10 for about three years. Most of that time we have had the 5Star tuning tune installed. It eliminates all of the shifting issues discussed. No more screaming trans as it shifts from low gear or down shifting going up a hill.
Do you have information on this 5 Star Tuner?