Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2016, 11:00 AM   #1

Transmisson Issues

Ok Gentlemen,

I've never been a fan of the FR3 transmission, but now I've run into another issue... I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem.

While taking off from a signal... in traffic... or climbing grades and hills...

The transmission surges.... pulsates.... modulates... or something....
It started yesterday on our way home from the Oregon Coast (60 miles away from home).
In 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears... you hear a..... rrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrr rrrrrrr..... it is RPM sensitive and starts about 2000 rpms up to about 3400 when it finally shifts into the next gear.
I don't know if it is a module, a torque converter, or some other issue... but I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

I'm always listening for issues with this thing... but it's funny, the wife noticed it and asked if that new noise was normal...?

Anyone else have this new transmission issue yet?

BTW we just turned 6000 miles... we bought it new with 2300 on it.

Thanks for any insight...
Days Camped 74
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:34 PM   #2

We haven't had any issues with our trans after 20k miles. Just make sure you take it into Ford before your 3 year/36k warranty is expired. Hope they find the solution.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:05 PM   #3

Up shift slip.. Ford should be able to track with a monitor when driving.
b1barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:58 AM   #4

I'm not sure it's an "up-shift" slip....
This noise is a pulsating rrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrr rrrrrrr right out of the gate... then it gets louder and more pronounced as we gain speed and rpm's.... then it shifts to the next gear and starts in again... rrrrr rrrrrr rrrrrr... until it shifts again...
It started while I was in heavy stop and go traffic while at the coast last weekend...
It reminds me of one of the old farm trucks I used to drive as a kid...when you were under a heavy load in low range.... you can feel it and hear it but it doesn't really seem to affect anything... it doesn't seem to slip in or out of gear...
I hope the Ford mechanic that looks into it says it needs a whole new transmission... I think this is the absolutely the worst transmission on the planet... I've said that since the first day I took delivery of this thing... I can not believe anyone... and I mean anyone would be happy with it.
I hear people complaining about all kinds of things with their FR3's... and we've had issues too... but this tranny thing is at a completely another level of problems.... on a scale of 1-10... I'd give the tranny a minus 5... it's horrible
Days Camped 74
Old 09-05-2018, 12:28 PM   #5

Mine has noise and when climbing it will downshift then up shift and lose power. I have to stomp the accelerator, get it to down shift then it will do it again. Does this several times before I can get any speed out of it. Really sucks. I’m afraid to take it to our local ford dealer.
2017fr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:58 PM   #6

The day I took our FR3 to the mechanic to get my problem checked out... it made the sound and did it's thing for 3/4's of the way to the Ford dealership... then with 10 miles left to go, it suddenly stopped making the noise and acted normal...
I left it with Ford and they had it for a couple weeks... they even had their mechanic drive the thing home a few times (75 miles round trip) they could never duplicate the problem and it hasn't shown back up in over 3000 miles...

I believe my issue was a torque converter issue that somehow worked it's way out....

Been fine now since...

Good Luck with your issue....
Days Camped 74