Old 10-07-2016, 02:19 PM   #11
Lost in time

Think I'd get some screw in earth anchors and ratchet straps and strap it down....

Old 10-07-2016, 02:47 PM   #12

Our 25DS just went through Mathew in the driveway on the tires with no problems.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2happycampers2 View Post
Our 25DS just went through Mathew in the driveway on the tires with no problems.
Good to know. We expect Matthew to visit here tonight or tomorrow. We are just above Wilmington, NC and very close to the ICW. Our Silverback 33RL is on it's six legs, but the tires are touching as well. Since I am on a walker for the next several weeks due to a broken leg we shall have the results of an experiment soon.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:35 PM   #14

Was on tires for Mathew it did fine no damage found so far.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:00 PM   #15

seems if tires were more stable we would mount our houses on springs rather than a solid foundation? I feel my Class A is much more stable with the hydraulic jacks mounted on the frame contacting the ground and lifting slightly to level and reduce movement.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:31 PM   #16

I got caught in Virginia Beach when Tropical Storm Hermine came through. Rode out the 40 to 60 MPH gusts with the 5er front and rear Jack's down and the JT Strong arms tight. 5er was comfortable all night except for the noise of all the pine cones and gum balls crashing into the roof all night. No damage to the rig thankfully.

Days Camped. 2015: 17
Days Camped 2016: 58
keeprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:36 PM   #17

don't forget to fill your fresh, gray and black tanks with water before a windstorm, it could save your rig from toppling over........
Old 10-08-2016, 12:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
don't forget to fill your fresh, gray and black tanks with water before a windstorm, it could save your rig from toppling over........
Are you sure? At 8 lbs/gallon for water, 130 gallons in my class A Georgetown would be 1040 lbs. For a class A rig weighing in at over 17,000 lbs, that's less than 7% of the total weight of the rig. I doubt that would make enough of a difference to keep the rig from tipping over.

A better solution for me would be to park the rig with the rear end facing into the wind. This minimizes the surface for it to push against and any forces from the wind will be along the long axis of the rig. It also protects the windshield from flying debris. This is similar to what boaters do in high wind situations, turn into the wind to decrease wind resistance to prevent capsizing.

Phil
Old 10-08-2016, 01:38 AM   #19

Winds from Hurricanes come from different directions over time. I also think a wind strong enough to blow it over while stationery would either have debris enough to do massive damage or rip off the roof.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:38 PM   #20

We are inland 25 miles and other than a few limbs down and fence panels needing replacing, we are good. Now coastal NE Florida took some pretty significant damage. Many points along Route A1A have completely washed away.