Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2017, 10:03 AM   #1

Turning off propane question

Have noticed that when I turn off the propane at the tank it doesn’t completely close. I can turn the stove on and low flame will continue to run indefinitely.

What’s the easiest fix for this? I hand tightened it is much as I could but figured using a wrench would be a bad idea.
CSroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:18 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

It may take awhile to purge all the gas from the lines running from the onboard tank....enough to keep a small flame running for a bit.

Does yours run longer than 5-10 minutes?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:20 AM   #3

The stove can in fact burn for a long time with the residual gas left in the line but, if you do have a leaking valve on the tank have it checked out and replaced asap.
Two things in an rv where I don't cut corners, electric and propane.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:50 AM   #4

Thanks. Ran it for a good 10 but will try again today to ensure no leak

Appreciate it
CSroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:15 PM   #5

Both tanks turned off?

Are both tanks turned off?

I would make a dish soap and water mixture, remove the hose fitting from the tank on both tanks and drizzle some soap mixture into the valves. If you got bubbles, you have a leak.

Try turning the valve a bit more and see if it stops. If so, then close them harder. If not, use the propane up and have the tank replaced or have the valve replaced based on cost.

You can not build up a dangerous situation with a leaking tank in the open air.
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2200i Generator, 300 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_Grandpa View Post
Are both tanks turned off?

I would make a dish soap and water mixture, remove the hose fitting from the tank on both tanks and drizzle some soap mixture into the valves. If you got bubbles, you have a leak.

Try turning the valve a bit more and see if it stops. If so, then close them harder. If not, use the propane up and have the tank replaced or have the valve replaced based on cost.

You can not build up a dangerous situation with a leaking tank in the open air.
I think there is a check valve in the tank valve that should cut the gas off.
You can remove the hose with the valve on and no gas would flow as the check valve shuts it off therefore you can not tell if the valve is faulty or not. You would have to disconnect the hose downstream from the tank to check this out.
hilfikerkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:45 PM   #7

If you do suspect a leaky tank shutoff valve, by all means leave that tank disconnected until you can get it taken care of. Cypressloser is absolutely correct, there's zero tolerance for propane problems.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:53 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

People....

This is posted under the forum heading of FR3 motorhomes. There is only one propane tank attached to the chassis on motorhomes....unles CSroo posted under the wrong heading.

Propane cylinders can be the disposable green ones for Coleman burners, and even the cylinders found in Travel Trailers and 5th Wheels.

https://rvshare.com/blog/the-ultimat...ing-or-buying/

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:08 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
If you do suspect a leaky tank shutoff valve, by all means leave that tank disconnected until you can get it taken care of. Cypressloser is absolutely correct, there's zero tolerance for propane problems.
If the valve is leaking through why would he leave the tank disconnected? Doing so allows propane to vent to the atmosphere. Not a good thing.
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
People....

This is posted under the forum heading of FR3 motorhomes. There is only one propane tank attached to the chassis on motorhomes....unles CSroo posted under the wrong heading.

Propane cylinders can be the disposable green ones for Coleman burners, and even the cylinders found in Travel Trailers and 5th Wheels.

https://rvshare.com/blog/the-ultimat...ing-or-buying/
Shoot, I usually check that too! You mean not everyone has a rig just like mine?
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:49 PM   #11

I have a 2015 GT which had a faulty shutoff valve last year. CAUTION, if you disconnect the line you will allow propane to shoot out of the failed tank valve and you'll be unable to stop the flow! Unfortunately, I took it to the dealer to fix. That turned into a nightmare. They took several days to burn off the propane with a vent stand. (Said it was an EPA requirement.) Then they replaced the valve and refilled the tank. The dealer said it took 10 hours but the service contract company said it should have only taken 5 hours. Guess who paid the difference ($300). Lesson learned. Burn off the excess propane by running the furnace(s) then change the valve yourself. Valve is only about $35! Once installed, have the tank purged and refilled. This way, it would have all cost me less than $200, which would have been less than the difference the warranty company wouldn't pay the dealer.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:16 PM   #12

Vince and Charlette,

So... the dealer charged you an hourly rate while a flame burned off the propane? I googled "Releasing propane into the air" and one of the resulting pages stated:

"Propane is non-toxic, non-caustic and will not create an environmental hazard if released as a liquid or vapor into water or soil. If spilled in large quantity, the only environmental damage that may occur is freezing any organism or plant life in the immediate area."

I'd suggest checking with a local propane supplier to see if there's really any EPA requirements.

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane