Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #1

TV Latch

Well, the latch on the TV compartment just broke. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, any suggestions on where to get a replacement. I really don't want to have the dealer fix it as it is likely to take two months for them to get the part and schedule me.

Fortunately, the TV stays down without the latch, but I won't be able to drive any distance with it like this.

Barbara
BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:23 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

It would help tremendously if we knew year make and model of unit and if there's a name on the bracket.

Can you supply pictures of the offending part?

TURBS

Goshen is my playground.
The last man standing also has a sharpie
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:33 AM   #3

Of course. It's the latch for the TV compartment on my 2014 FR3. below are pictures. The first two show different views of the broken piece that is attached at the base of the compartment. The third shows the hooking mechanism attached to the TV door.

Barbara
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	023.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	46112   Click image for larger version

Name:	027.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	46113   Click image for larger version

Name:	029.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	46114  
Old 02-12-2014, 09:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraG View Post
Well, the latch on the TV compartment just broke. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, any suggestions on where to get a replacement. I really don't want to have the dealer fix it as it is likely to take two months for them to get the part and schedule me.

Fortunately, the TV stays down without the latch, but I won't be able to drive any distance with it like this.

Barbara

Yes...replaced with magnetic drawer clips. Used two and they seem to do the job. The casing for the TV is metal so they keep it fasten well. I'll try and send a pic next time I go work on my rig.
Rolling Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #5

That would be great since I don't know exactly what you mean by magnetic drawer clips. Would love to see a pic.

Thanks.

Barbara
Old 02-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #6

Quote:
That would be great since I don't know exactly what you mean by magnetic drawer clips. Would love to see a pic.

Thanks.

Barbara

B, here is a pic of the clip. I did not need the small metal plate since the TV frame was good enough.

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1392222820.166765.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  29.1 KB

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1392222839.103282.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	46130
Old 02-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #7

Thanks. That looks like it would work.

B
Old 02-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #8

Okay, I have successfully installed the magnetic latch (see picture). I didn't use the two metal plates the would screw on to the TV side since that structure is already metal and the device didn't work as well when I tried the plates. I think it's because I wanted to use the existing screw holes and screws (didn't feel like drilling through metal right behind the TV). The screws were round-tops. Maybe flat-tops would make it work okay.

In any case, it works, but does not provide particularly strong latching. I'm concerned it could shake lose on a bumpy road. I might add two more on either side.

Barbara
2014 FR3 30 DS - bought September 2013
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	46327  
Old 02-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Okay, I have successfully installed the magnetic latch (see picture). I didn't use the two metal plates the would screw on to the TV side since that structure is already metal and the device didn't work as well when I tried the plates. I think it's because I wanted to use the existing screw holes and screws (didn't feel like drilling through metal right behind the TV). The screws were round-tops. Maybe flat-tops would make it work okay.

In any case, it works, but does not provide particularly strong latching. I'm concerned it could shake lose on a bumpy road. I might add two more on either side.

Barbara
2014 FR3 30 DS - bought September 2013

B, I used two to enhance the strength. I did not place them in the middle, but off to the side. I drove on some bumpy roads and they held. Now I need to figure how to keep the stuff inside from bouncing all over the place from the top shelf.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #10

RM, Yeah, I'm on my way now to Home Depot to pick up some plumbers tape or whatever they call it, and will pick up two more latches while I'm there.

I bought a fancy new water filter, the kind you need an additional hose piece for. All went well except that the connection between the water source hose and the filter will not stop leaking. I even got out my trusty pliers and tightened the connection, but no go. I re-seated the connection twice. Still drips. So, I figure I need some of that tape for the connection.

As Gilda Radner said, it's always something... of course, she was talking about cancer, so maybe I should stop whining.

B
Old 02-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #11

Quote:
RM, Yeah, I'm on my way now to Home Depot to pick up some plumbers tape or whatever they call it, and will pick up two more latches while I'm there.

I bought a fancy new water filter, the kind you need an additional hose piece for. All went well except that the connection between the water source hose and the filter will not stop leaking. I even got out my trusty pliers and tightened the connection, but no go. I re-seated the connection twice. Still drips. So, I figure I need some of that tape for the connection.

As Gilda Radner said, it's always something... of course, she was talking about cancer, so maybe I should stop whining.

B

Good luck on the shopping spree. On the hoses, maybe the thread has been damaged or there is a lousy washer in place.