Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2016, 06:30 AM   #1

Unit A/C or dash when driving?

2016 FR3 30 DS: Walk through tech said to use unit a/c when driving as it keeps battery's charged and sales guy that knows everything - yet doesn't own an rv - said use dash a/c as that cools plenty. What are your opinions? Thanks!
KevandSyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:06 AM   #2

IF the dash unit has enough in a given situation, just use it. If it isn't enough, use the generator and the roof unit as well. That is what most do. The batteries should be charged by the alternator when the engine is running.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:08 AM   #3

Sales guy was correct. Tech guy needs training.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:41 AM   #4

You shouldn't need to run the generator to keep the batteries charged while cruising down the highway...

If the Dash AC won't keep up,, crank up the genny and turn on the roof unit. Make sure all the ceiling vents are closed, and also run the dash AC in MAX.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:56 AM   #5

We typically run the genset when driving. Not necessarily to charge the batteries, but more so for running the house AC. Run it when you need it, though I think you'll find the dash AC lacking.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:09 AM   #6

As everyone else has said, when the dash isn't enough run the unit AC. We do it on and off depending on the kids level of whining about being hot, then in 5 minutes they are cold so no winning for me. Running the genny isn't needed to charge the house batteries when your driving.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:10 AM   #7
World Wide Wanderer

Both...

I run the unit A/C if the temps are above 80°, especially if it is sunny. We almost always have the dash A/C going too.

The engine alternator charges the coach and chassis batteries. The generator only charges the coach batteries.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:59 AM   #8
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
You shouldn't need to run the generator to keep the batteries charged while cruising down the highway...

If the Dash AC won't keep up,, crank up the genny and turn on the roof unit. Make sure all the ceiling vents are closed, and also run the dash AC in MAX.
Running the dash AC on max should only be done until the air coming from the dash vents is cool enough. Then turn the switch to AC or norm.. Running on max all the time will cause icing on the lines. Same process as running a refrigerator/freezer on too cold of a setting. Keep in mind that an air conditioners function is not to cool the cab but to remove warm air from a vehicle.
I do agree that if the dash air is not cooling you enough (especially when having other passengers), run the gen. and turn on the house air.
If it's just the wife and I, we'll sometime hang a blanket from the overhead bunk to keep as much of the dash air in the front area. So far has worked well.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Both...

I run the unit A/C if the temps are above 80°, especially if it is sunny. We almost always have the dash A/C going too.

The engine alternator charges the coach and chassis batteries. The generator only charges the coach batteries.

Aaron
Nope. Generator, or more accurately stated, converter/charger on the FR3 does charge the chassis battery.
cucamelsmd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivmsafe View Post
Running the dash AC on max should only be done until the air coming from the dash vents is cool enough. Then turn the switch to AC or norm.. Running on max all the time will cause icing on the lines. Same process as running a refrigerator/freezer on too cold of a setting. Keep in mind that an air conditioners function is not to cool the cab but to remove warm air from a vehicle.
I do agree that if the dash air is not cooling you enough (especially when having other passengers), run the gen. and turn on the house air.
If it's just the wife and I, we'll sometime hang a blanket from the overhead bunk to keep as much of the dash air in the front area. So far has worked well.
Hanging a blanket or the privacy curtain to keep dash cooled air in the cab area is a great idea.Usually just the two of us and our dog, who rides between us. Now why didn't I think of that? LOL
Lazy Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:01 PM   #11

Curt, I think you have it backwards:

When your AC is in NORM mode - you are drawing in warm, humid, outside air and the A/C is trying to cool.

When you're in MAX mode, you are recirculating cool, dehumidified inside air and cooling it.

Your dash AC unit should be able to deliver a 25 -30 degree temperature delta.

If you're drawing in 100 degree outside air, the best you'll see out of the vents will be about 70 deg

If your recirculating air, and the AC is drawing in 80 degree air from inside the cab, you should see about 50 deg air coming out the vents.

ALSO - Like Curt mentioned, In our ole Class C, we made a nice thick privacy curtain. It would be warm in the back, but nice and cool in the cab area. (also warm heat in the winter)
Old 08-15-2016, 02:04 PM   #12

Quote:
ALSO - Like Curt mentioned, In our ole Class C, we made a nice thick privacy curtain. It would be warm in the back, but nice and cool in the cab area. (also warm heat in the winter)
Worth mentioning, this goes both ways. Hanging the blanket helps keep the warmth from the greenhouse in the front out of the living area, and vice versa in winter when parked.
cucamelsmd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:49 PM   #13
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Curt, I think you have it backwards:

When your AC is in NORM mode - you are drawing in warm, humid, outside air and the A/C is trying to cool.

When you're in MAX mode, you are recirculating cool, dehumidified inside air and cooling it.

Your dash AC unit should be able to deliver a 25 -30 degree temperature delta.

If you're drawing in 100 degree outside air, the best you'll see out of the vents will be about 70 deg

If your recirculating air, and the AC is drawing in 80 degree air from inside the cab, you should see about 50 deg air coming out the vents.

What you are saying is true. I did not say contrary. If you'll read my response again, all I said was it's not a good idea, and you don't need to run on max all the time. As for what temps can you expect? When I worked on car AC systems, you could expect around 20-25 degrees below what the ambient temp is outside. That was the usual with the old R12 systems. With the new R134A systems, that # is usually lower.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:31 AM   #14

Curtain off the cab area, no need to cool the cabin while driving

We curtained off the cab area on our MBS2400WS, and put covers on all of our roof vents, so now we just leave the roof vents open and allow whatever cool air may escape from the cab area to flow to the back and out the roof vents.

With this set-up, we can stay nice and cool in the cab area by just running the dash A/C on low.

works great seeing as there is just the two of us and our 13 year old spoiled rotten chihuahua.

Keeps us cool and saves on fuel.
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote