Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2015, 09:14 AM   #21

b47 and what do you think of the winglets added on the wings of new aircraft and all the little airfoils on wings of smaller aircraft for the purpose of STOL short take off and landing all of that increases lift! the way I see it the tabs are creating a high pressure area at the rear and sides of the coach.
Lfrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:42 AM   #22
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfrazee View Post
b47 and what do you think of the winglets added on the wings of new aircraft and all the little airfoils on wings of smaller aircraft for the purpose of STOL short take off and landing all of that increases lift! the way I see it the tabs are creating a high pressure area at the rear and sides of the coach.
Winglets are added for the purpose of keeping airflow from spilling over the wing tips of fixed wing aircraft. They are an vertical shaped airfoils designed to add lift similar to the wing itself. BTW - not all "New" aircraft have winglets,the Boeing 777 being one.

As far as STOL,I'm not that familiar with that concept. But if STOL aircraft have similar shaped tabs as those shown here on RV's,going against the forward airfLow I would like to see them.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:47 AM   #23
Mod free 5er

B47, remember the venture effect, large opening, small outlet. Fan shrouds? Not everything designed can be applied to aircraft.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:55 AM   #24
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
B47, remember the venture effect, large opening, small outlet. Fan shrouds? Not everything designed can be applied to aircraft.
True - but the first part of Lfrazee's post referenced aircraft and that was what I was responding to.

As I said earlier,I know not all things designed apply to aircraft. But airflow is airflow.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:50 PM   #25

winglets actually disrupt a wingtip vortex which causes drag or so that is what they taught us at all the aviation schools that I attended to aquire the type ratings I have. the wing tip vortex is sort of a mini tornado that forms off of the end of a straight wing tip
Old 03-26-2015, 03:57 PM   #26

some of the more advanced stoll kits I have seen on cessnas are not triangle shaped-- but the early model Lear jets have small triangle ones, some on the leading edges and some on the trailing edges-depending on which mod the particular aircraft has installed on it. several companies made the mods for the Lear jet. It is amazing what disrupting the airflow slightly in different places can do.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #27
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfrazee View Post
Have been reading about people truck drivers, rvs, etc putting these "v" shaped air tags on trucks and rvs- claim that it makes your rv a lot easier to drive as it dissipates air that blows you around. We are talking wind from trucks and any other kind of head wind or side winds. Also tends to be a very slight ( 2%- 5%) better fuel mileage. A kit runs about $200 and these are attached to rear edges of coach.
Has anyone tried these? If they work as advertised might be a good thing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
True - but the first part of Lfrazee's post referenced aircraft and that was what I was responding to.

As I said earlier,I know not all things designed apply to aircraft. But airflow is airflow.
Don't see a reference to aircraft. I recall you being the first to mention them.

BTW my previous post should have read "venturi", not "venture, spell check changed it.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:02 PM   #28

some winglets do create a very small amount of lift, because the add a small amount of length to the wing--- 'but their primary purpose and effect is to dissipate drag making the aircraft faster and more fuel efficient.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:37 PM   #29
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Don't see a reference to aircraft. I recall you being the first to mention them.

BTW my previous post should have read "venturi", not "venture, spell check changed it.
Yes - I first referenced aircraft in my #9 post,but I was responding to Lfrazee's #21 post here in which he referenced aircraft. Let's not try to separate the fly crap from the pepper here.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:48 PM   #30

Im getting popcorn
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote